• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back to my first saltwater tank

Ok guys. Looking for some advice. My brother, mom, and other family members have been bugging me to add more fish to this tank. My goal was to keep this tank limited on fish and heavy on nems but that seems to be changing as I add more and more corals. I don't want to add too many more fish but I am thinking a school of 3 or 4 fish would be good. This will gives the look they are going for but still be a small number of fish for me. I have a flurry clown and a coral beauty currently in the tank. I want something that is colorful and swim in groups. I also don't want to drop big money because I am focusing on getting a house. Any one have suggestion on 3 to 4 colorful schooling fish that I can add to this tank? I would like to try and stay under $100 total for those fish.

Thanks

I have a few fire fish and they are really nice. All hang out together, inexpensive and peaceful.

IMG_0734.JPG

Nice. I hear they are jumper and I run an open tank with no screen

I don't know about that. They never swim towards the top of the water column. IF they get scared they bolt lightening fast into their hiding space that they all share. When main lights go off, they retire to their safe haven for the evening. When my halides come on the following day they all come out, I really have enjoyed them.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I might look into some. I had one in my kid's 10g but it was always hiding but again it was by itself. I moved before I could get another one

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I am going to try and get this thread going again. I been slacking lol.

If you recall I was going to make this a nem only tank.... well that has change lol

So current as of 7/23/2017 -
Equipment - 36 bow front
Lighting - 1 Kessil 360 connected to Kessil controller
- 2 Kessil Deep Ocean Blues connected to my controller that I am making
In-tank filter - This was to capture some of the big junk floating around my tank. I might be working on removing this slowly. I replace their filter with poly-fil
UV Filter - added this cause my water wasn't clear like I wanted
HOB Fug with some cheato in it. Also have a small bag of carbon in there
Power Heads - 2 Jabeo RW4s linked together

Live Stock
  • 1 Flurry Clown
  • 1 Coral Beauty
  • 1 Green/Blue chromie
  • 1 fire shrimp
  • handful of snails and hermit crabs
  • 1 Condy nem
  • 1 Rose Bubble Tip nem
  • 2 Flower nems
  • Hammer
  • Green Birdnest
  • Red monti cap
  • Ironman zoas (just got at mark's meeting)
  • Inferno zoas (just got at mark's meeting)
  • Sunny Delight zoas (just got at mark's meeting)
  • Random zoas (just got at mark's meeting)
  • Satosa

I just ordered a Red Sea Foundation test kit plus cal and soda ash (already have mag). I will start getting the dosing going and then setup my auto doser (which would be the first time using it)

IMG_5951.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5953.JPG IMG_5954.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_5956.JPG IMG_5957.JPG IMG_5958.JPG IMG_5959.JPG IMG_5963.JPG

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok well my test kit came in last night. I did a water change yesterday and tested this am. Remember I am running a mix reef and here my numbers and then what numbers I am aiming for

pH - 8.0 Aiming - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 Aiming - 0
Nitrite - 0 Aiming - 0
Nitrate - 10 Aiming - not really too worry about a number here just keeping it stable more
Cal - 500 Aiming - 450
dKH - 9.5 Aiming - 10
Mag - 1600 Aiming - 1390

Now I'm not 100% sure on those number but those are what I am aiming for and I will see what happens.

I will be dosing BRS elements when needed (like today I will dose for Alk). I will also try and test the cal, alk, and mag every day for now (working on getting numbers in my head for my auto doser)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Ok well my test kit came in last night. I did a water change yesterday and tested this am. Remember I am running a mix reef and here my numbers and then what numbers I am aiming for

pH - 8.0 Aiming - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 Aiming - 0
Nitrite - 0 Aiming - 0
Nitrate - 10 Aiming - not really too worry about a number here just keeping it stable more
Cal - 500 Aiming - 450
dKH - 9.5 Aiming - 10
Mag - 1600 Aiming - 1390

Now I'm not 100% sure on those number but those are what I am aiming for and I will see what happens.

I will be dosing BRS elements when needed (like today I will dose for Alk). I will also try and test the cal, alk, and mag every day for now (working on getting numbers in my head for my auto doser)
For a
Mixed reef, you may not need to go that high for ALK. Where it is should be fine. To high of Alk may mess with your softies

For a
Mixed reef, you may not need to go that high for ALK. Where it is should be fine. To high of Alk may mess with your softies

James,
High Alk levels requires higher nutrients levels and also high lights intensity or the SPS might RTN or STN.
At list that's what I've seen in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
James,
High Alk levels requires higher nutrients levels and also high lights intensity or the SPS might RTN or STN.
At list that's what I've seen in my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running a Kessil 360we and 2 Kessils 150 Deep Ocean Blues over this tank. I believe I get my 360 up to 80% but I will double check that

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I didn't believe a level of 10 for alk is high I figure that mid range cause most people I see run between 11 and 12 I thought

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
This is my kessil 360 schedule
10:50 - color 0% (blue) intensity 5%
11:00 - color 10% (blue) intensity 80%
12:00 - color 100% (white) intensity 60%
18:00 - color 10% (blue) intensity 80%
21:00 - color 0% (blue) intensity 5%
21:10 - color 0% (blue) intensity 0%

My 150s are on from 11:00 - 19:00

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So my green birdnest has been in my tank for about 28 days. When I first added it I did not have my test kit for mag, cal, dkh. I noticed that there was a lot of white skeleton on the frag with a little green showing under the blues. When I got my test kit I started to track my levels and dose as needed. Now I am noticing more green than white (if there any white left at all) and polyps coming out. sorry for the bad picture

IMG_20170813_162254.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
So is it alive??
Yes

Not to long ago I read something about coral bleaching. Bleaching doesn't mean the coral is dead. Given time algae rebuild on the coral and starts growing again. Now this isn't all the time but seeing how it's still has it's polyps and getting more green I think it's still alive