• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Group Coral Growout

Okay guys I just found.the wildest thing in one. The corals. I saw what I thought was great pe from one coral but upon closer extension it looks.like the fans.of porcelain crabs that are going.in and.out but coming out.of.the.corals polyp holes. What the heck are these?

Barnacles maybe. I've noticed a few weird things too. One was a small shrimp like thing. I gotta see if I can find it again.

Cool isnt it. The 2 colonies i have have them also. They are some kind of barnacles. And the brown with blue tip[s colony has christmas worms fanned out. Unfortunately my POtters wrass loves to pick at them, so they dont extend as often.

Okay guys I just found.the wildest thing in one. The corals. I saw what I thought was great pe from one coral but upon closer extension it looks.like the fans.of porcelain crabs that are going.in and.out but coming out.of.the.corals polyp holes. What the heck are these?

Lost a colony today,dull brown with blue tips and the polyps have a glow to them, Think its sudden tissue necrosis ( stn). water parameters are ok temp was a tad high 78.The others seem ok with good polyp extension.

Lost a colony today,dull brown with blue tips and the polyps have a glow to them, Think its sudden tissue necrosis ( stn). water parameters are ok temp was a tad high 78.The others seem ok with good polyp extension.

STN is slow tissue necrosis. What is your alk level? I have found that wild caught sps like a lower alk level.

Sorry long day. Rtn, rapid tissue necrosis. Happened in a 24 hour period. Alk is 7.2, low by where I keep my reef tank. Mg is 1320, calcium is 460. Phosphates are .04 ( I have macro growing and only 2 small clowns that get fed once daily). Could be stress the other colonies look fine. We will see.

Was it a full colony or a very chunky frag? ONe of the colonies i have sounds like what you are describing. Sorry to hear. I have one piece that is very pale but it has great PE that i m keeping a very close eye on. I moved it very low light for now. I will be posting a pic of the 2 colonies i have tonight just so all are aware of which colonies are in my possession.. This way we are not scrambling on finding out who has what colony. Can i ask the other Group buy team to do the same? From the pics i have seen that have been posted. i do not have a piece of the yellow with redish tips and white polyps.

Pete, ill check mine to see if i can frag you a piece. Should be able to.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Was it a full colony or a very chunky frag? ONe of the colonies i have sounds like what you are describing. Sorry to hear. I have one piece that is very pale but it has great PE that i m keeping a very close eye on. I moved it very low light for now. I will be posting a pic of the 2 colonies i have tonight just so all are aware of which colonies are in my possession.. This way we are not scrambling on finding out who has what colony. Can i ask the other Group buy team to do the same? From the pics i have seen that have been posted. i do not have a piece of the yellow with redish tips and white polyps.

I'll get pictures tonight

Hey Austin,

It was a chunky frag not an actual colony. My thoughts are that these corals have been through a bit and at this point it may be best to let all sit as is for a few weeks to recoup and show signs of healing/ encrusting. If it is the piece, yeah at some point I would go for a frag. Let me know if you want to stop by this weekend I am around sat afternoon and Sunday.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
will post a pic of the colony I have as soon as I can. It looks like the red tabling acro, but it's very pale right now. great PE but observing it, scared to even touch it! lol

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Could this be why I had such a huge loss in my coral?

I keep my alk at around 9 and 10 dkh

And my temps ranges from 78.1 to 80.

STN is slow tissue necrosis. What is your alk level? I have found that wild caught sps like a lower alk level.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I acclimate for like 2 hrs. I poured like a cup of tank water every 30 mins.

I guess at the end of the day that damn heater going to 88 did it. Iwas hoping since it was only an 1 hr it would be okay.

Thanks guys

My alk stays at 9 temp is 80 and I only lost 2 so idts. Maybe you didn't acclimate enough?

88 is pretty high. Plus it probably took some time to come down so that 1 hr is probably much more at higher temps.

My alk is usually around 7 and so far so good for me. I have still yet to dip anything, they are just sitting in my QT tank still. I plan I doing some dipping some of them this weekend though. I probably wont move them to my DT though for at least another week. I have been doing 1 gal WC's in the QT everyday with unused saltwater but starting tomorrow all the WC's will be with water from my DT that way Im acclimating them to that for a good week before the transfer.

All corals remaining look fine. Part of my problem may have been dipping them 2 days ago. I really think these guys may seem fine but are stressed and need time to acclimate. I plan on letting them sit for the next 3 weeks to adjust. Once I see either encrusting on plugs or over cuts, I will do more. In the mean time I will try to get pics up this weekend. The green acros and milli seem to be the happiest.

Hey Austin,

It was a chunky frag not an actual colony. My thoughts are that these corals have been through a bit and at this point it may be best to let all sit as is for a few weeks to recoup and show signs of healing/ encrusting. If it is the piece, yeah at some point I would go for a frag. Let me know if you want to stop by this weekend I am around sat afternoon and Sunday.

Yes i can definitely stop over. Got done with track meet early. I shot you a TXT. Let me know.

Here are the 2 colonies that are in my possession. They are doing great. The yellow body with neon green polyps is starting to develop a blue hue on the tips. They are phone pics so i apologize for the quality. If anyone wants better pics let me know.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
any ideas on an eta on the next group buy? just for reference :p I want to know I need to setup another frag tank. haha

on a side note, i lost a lot of color with my frags during their tour of NJ. i dont recognize some of the colonies posted at all comparing to my frags.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey guys. Can I start making my rounds for frags of the pieces. I'm at a 100% loss. I was able to save one acro crab.

I threw away that heater. ( after cracking it with a hammer. Dance

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Those colonies look great

any ideas on an eta on the next group buy? just for reference :p I want to know I need to setup another frag tank. haha

on a side note, i lost a lot of color with my frags during their tour of NJ. i dont recognize some of the colonies posted at all comparing to my frags.