• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Here's my Big Office System

3 weeks of copper treatment will do nothing. If you want to treat, then do it for at least 6 weeks or don't even waste your time.
Now even after 6 weeks there are no guarantees :(, but 3 is just not enough.

Really? On the bottle it says 2 weeks, on reef central people say 3 weeks...

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have dealt with ich long enough. the biggest issue with copper is to maintain the level. If you do not check every other day, it will just not kill ich.

Note that copper kills ich that is in free floating form - only. So if the life cycle of ich can take upto 8 weeks, sometimes 10, how can treating for 3 weeks be enough?

IMHO, you just cannot erradicate ich complely. You can do the best you can and hope for the best.

Sorry Bax, again not trying to hijack you build thread :)

Sunny

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
What about running a uv canister?

Good question :). In a QT I think that a UV will help. I never had one. I didn't have one on my DT either. It has been 4 weeks since I got one installed on the DT which is running fallow.
That said, I can say my water is a lot clearer than it was. This is something only I can notice since I see it everyday :). I am running it with flow recommendations for protozoa a.k.a ich. So it is killing everything that is going through it. I am OK with that since I have various other places in my setup that have tons of pods. I am also feeding phyto twice a week.

I also added a UV to my QT tank 2 weeks ago. I am sure it is doing it's job.

I would always have one on a FOWLR. In a reef it is debatable. I took the chance and only time will tell how it goes in the long run.

Sunny

Sunny

I can tell you I strted running UV with Ozone on my 120 and it clreared up an ich outbreak over time. Properly sizing it for your system and proper flow is key. I think the Ozone is key as well.

No highjack all topics are open here.

Sunny

I can tell you I strted running UV with Ozone on my 120 and it clreared up an ich outbreak over time. Properly sizing it for your system and proper flow is key. I think the Ozone is key as well.

No highjack all topics are open here.

Bax and Sunny, what size/model would you recommend for a 180 w/ 75g sump?

Uhg! The ich thing takes time, so lets talk about sumtin else1

The Orpheks have prooven to be a lot of light! There's been an ajustment period where my SPS colors have just not been so great. I feel that is turning and corals are settling in. So now it is time to get real serious about dialing in my Ca reactor, limited topping off with Klak, as well as the addition of UV, O3, GFO & Carbon. While all that goes on I want to QT some fish. Hopefully I'll get this ich delio under control in that time.

I have a pair of O clowns, a pair of Orchid dottybacks, a flame angle, azure damsel, yellow tang and tomini tang.

Originally, I was really hot to add a one spot fox face as I had one for years and it was a great janitor. Mine ate bubble algea! However, my YT and TT are doing a great job so far so IDK about the Fox???

Another fish I've always had is a heniochus butterfly. I've had two. The first was 100% reef safe. The second, was "taught" to eat zoas by a blue stripped rabbitfish I got rid of! (Not to bad mouth the BSR. The BSR is a beautiful fish for a FOWLR a it's a fantastic janitor) Both the HBs were both show stoppers to watch and the fish everyone talked about upon seeing the tank. Could I be lucky enough to get a third reef safe HB????

The 3rd SW fish I ever bought was a coral beauty. Again, mine was 100% reef safe! I'd love to add one, but maybe it's time to try another angel? Something more "medium" sized maybe? Regal, Majestic, Flag Fin, Blue Stripe? IDK???

I lost those three fish, the fox, the HB and the CB between my AEFW battle and the move to my garage from the office. Heartbreaking losses each one!

Other fish I'm considering :

Midas Blenny (a definite! Lost my last one to a feeding collision with that darn zoa eating rabbit!)[Yes! Rabbits are quite poisonous!]
trio of cardinals (blue eyed threadfins maybe)
trio to five lyertail anthias
single sunburst anthias

Bax, I think Petco is again having their dollar-per-gallon sale, starting September first.

I was wondering if they had a $/Gal sale comming along soon. That's perfect!!! I guess if you have to break a tank, timiing is everything! :encouragement:

Yes Brandon, the MAG ligth is fine! :p

I was trying to restart my Ca Rx at the time. My old PW pump that drives the reactor just would/will not restart! I have to drain the chambers and pull it to see what's up. It was running fine! But it is OLD and on its second or third impeler since I've had it. It owes me nothing. I'll plug in my Kalk reactor till I can either revivie the PW or get a new one.

Uhg! The ich thing takes time, so lets talk about sumtin else1

The Orpheks have prooven to be a lot of light! There's been an ajustment period where my SPS colors have just not been so great. I feel that is turning and corals are settling in. So now it is time to get real serious about dialing in my Ca reactor, limited topping off with Klak, as well as the addition of UV, O3, GFO & Carbon. While all that goes on I want to QT some fish. Hopefully I'll get this ich delio under control in that time.

I have a pair of O clowns, a pair of Orchid dottybacks, a flame angle, azure damsel, yellow tang and tomini tang.

Originally, I was really hot to add a one spot fox face as I had one for years and it was a great janitor. Mine ate bubble algea! However, my YT and TT are doing a great job so far so IDK about the Fox???

Another fish I've always had is a heniochus butterfly. I've had two. The first was 100% reef safe. The second, was "taught" to eat zoas by a blue stripped rabbitfish I got rid of! (Not to bad mouth the BSR. The BSR is a beautiful fish for a FOWLR a it's a fantastic janitor) Both the HBs were both show stoppers to watch and the fish everyone talked about upon seeing the tank. Could I be lucky enough to get a third reef safe HB????

The 3rd SW fish I ever bought was a coral beauty. Again, mine was 100% reef safe! I'd love to add one, but maybe it's time to try another angel? Something more "medium" sized maybe? Regal, Majestic, Flag Fin, Blue Stripe? IDK???

I lost those three fish, the fox, the HB and the CB between my AEFW battle and the move to my garage from the office. Heartbreaking losses each one!

Other fish I'm considering :

Midas Blenny (a definite! Lost my last one to a feeding collision with that darn zoa eating rabbit!)[Yes! Rabbits are quite poisonous!]
trio of cardinals (blue eyed threadfins maybe)
trio to five lyertail anthias
single sunburst anthias

I was also considering swapping the fox for either a convict tang or a Lavender tang I'd really love another tenetti tang, but I'm just concered it is too much fish for my 150 in the long run. I have to keep in mind that this is IT tank wise. I'm NOT getting another bigger tank in a couple of years. I need a max 8ish inch tang if I do add another. Another reason to stay away from the giant FOX, they do take a long time to get there, but they get big. Mine was about 9" when I lost it.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Bax

My Fox is already pushing 7 inches. I believe in variety and IMHO fox is a great utility fish. There are many tangs that have same characteristics, prone to ich and algare grazers, but fox gives you diversity. I would say, sacrifice a tang for a fox because it might eat what the tangs won't ... :)

Sunny

Sunny

You are right about that, my fox was a great bubble algea eater and with that long snout he could really get into those tight spots. While mine was pushing 9" it was also pushing seven plus years in my systems

I've been really busy at work and have just had a run of equipment failures.

My Ca Rx pump is dead ... It was old ... really old
I hooked up my Kalk Rx, but ...
... My ATO float switch failed
A new Vortech controler fried :mad:
I dropped a Mag light on my QT... it's broke
I knocked a Feng LED fixture into my frag tank ... It's broke
And, although most of my fish look much much better, but my dottyback pair are still struggling with it.
Given the lack of ATO and calcium supplement, my SPS are "ok" but not as I'd like them to be.

Are we having fun yet!

Geez, what's going on over there Bax?

Slowly but surely it's comming together. Just a phase I've gone through with each and every office move as well. It seems equipment that has run along for years just does not like being pulled out of line, cleaned, packed, stored, recleaned and then restarted. Go figure!

Anyway, I always loose some equipment to the process. I must say that breaking the QT tank and knocking the LED into the frag tank were 100% my own stupidity from rushing. I've really been jammed for time of late. But, it is comming together. The PA group by will provide several fixes. Unfortunately, the LED light is a complete loss, I need to visit Feng to see if he's got spare parts I think new drivers and/or a power source may restore it.

I survivied!

Power went out about 6:30 Monday. I am very lucky I have a generator and power returned about 48 hours later. I just got cable back tonight.

My reef did just fine

To those who weren't so fortunate, my heart goes out to you all.