• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

1 gallon of phytoplankton $35 08731

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolute steal guys lets go. super dark nothing like what you would buy at LFS. was at a LFS selling tigerpods and phyto few days ago, you could cut this up 2 or 3 times to get to the green they are selling there. this stuff will last 5 months in your fridge at 30-40 degrees. ask me how i know

When you dose, will a sponge filter clean everything up? Should I only run powerheads?
phyto is a nutrient like food. expect your nitrates and phosphates to go up. your sponge filter will remove waste that hasnt broken down. depending on the size your sponge filters, it can remove phyto

DangerDave

NJRC Member
phyto is a nutrient like food. expect your nitrates and phosphates to go up. your sponge filter will remove waste that hasnt broken down. depending on the size your sponge filters, it can remove phyto

Can you explain the nutrients going up? As soon as I started dosing it, my phosphates dropped, and dropped quickly. I’ve had to turn off LC dosing and water changes.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can you explain the nutrients going up? As soon as I started dosing it, my phosphates dropped, and dropped quickly. I’ve had to turn off LC dosing and water changes.
Actually "live" phyto would consume your nitrates and phospates which would leave none left for unwanted algae to use.

yeah definitely play around with it and let me know how it goes. I was doing tiny dosing like 15ml into my 29g and I couldn't see any difference. I was at 0 and 0 so I just dumped a whole cup in. got me to where I needed to be and I've added a lot of fish since then so I'm back to the 15ml/day.

I'm just sort of riding the wave at this point.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
8 oz to 29g is like 124 oz to 450g. so basically like the whole gallon.

haha

i probably wouldnt do that if i were you but i could see you getting there slowly

It makes sense. I may have rounded the corner on the phosphates in my rock/sand. Sand has been 80% removed. That and my fuge is growing really fast. My first generation from yours is in the fridge. The second gen is 2 days in. I’m going to split that one to two larger containers. Once that’s going I will try using it to vary nutrients without having to buy too much in supplements.

yeah phyto is live food. it will raise nutrients if you put enough in there. like diana said, it will consume nitrates and phos, but it will eventually die off when there isnt enough light or no food for the phyto to consume or if the phyto is just at the end of it's lifecycle (guessing pytho isnt going to live forever lol). alternatively, the phyto may become part of your coral/copepod/clams mass if they eat it. just like fish, eating food with nitrates/phos, the fish poop out the nitrates/phos that their body doesnt absorb so im guessing whatever eats phyto will poop out the nitrates/phos that it doesnt absorb.

my general understanding is that anything you put in your tank will eventually become nitrates/phos once it breaks down

DangerDave

NJRC Member
yeah phyto is live food. it will raise nutrients if you put enough in there. like diana said, it will consume nitrates and phos, but it will eventually die off when there isnt enough light or no food for the phyto to consume or if the phyto is just at the end of it's lifecycle (guessing pytho isnt going to live forever lol). alternatively, the phyto may become part of your coral/copepod/clams mass if they eat it. just like fish, eating food with nitrates/phos, the fish poop out the nitrates/phos that their body doesnt absorb so im guessing whatever eats phyto will poop out the nitrates/phos that it doesnt absorb.

my general understanding is that anything you put in your tank will eventually become nitrates/phos once it breaks down

For sure. I just a didn’t realize how heavy you were going with the volume. It doesn’t all become nutrients, plenty are used in coral, algae, etc growth ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.