• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120 gallon upgrade

Per our conversation yesterday, yeah I would probably go with 3 blue+ and a purple+. Let the LEDs do their actinic thing.
I think that's the setup I'm going to start with and change it if I decide I don't like it. If I don't like all 3 blue + then I can swap 1 out and I'll have a spare blue + for future use.

Pulled the trigger on the aquatic life t5 hybrid. Bulbs will be 3 blue+ and 1 purple+ ( thanks @MaximusReef and @mnat for the recommendations) I will be running 3 ai primes with it as well. I have to determine if I'll be ceiling mounting the fixture or wall mounting it with the aquatic life wall mount kit. I still have to purchase the brackets for the ai primes to mount them to the fixture. This build is moving faster than expected but I still have to get a buddy over here to help me move the tank so I can clean it up. Then i can start plumbing and what not.

Not much has changed since my last update. The t5s came in and I purchased about 15lbs of live rock from kp aquatics for the build that's currently curing. I'll probably grab another 20lbs of live rock as well to add to the 15 I have already. That should suffice for a nice aquascape with my current caribsea life rock in my 65. Still undecided on my return pump(s). I'm leaning more towards 2 return pumps as I'm thinking about running a couple reactors. I'm also debating on plumbing in a turf algae scrubber or not. Here's some pictures of my 65. Seeing most everything thriving is making me question on whether or not I should upgrade still lol. Who am I kidding I need more space for corals.
20211212_160450.jpg20211212_160441.jpg20211212_160428.jpg20211212_160415.jpg20211212_160351.jpg20211212_160347.jpg20211212_160344.jpg20211212_160334.jpg20211212_160329.jpg20211212_160323.jpg20211212_160318.jpg

Attachments

• 20211212_160318.jpg
    20211212_160318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Tank looks beautiful! You will be better off with more space trust me. Lol
I know your absolutely right. It's one of those moments when I'm looking at where my tank is today and I question what if I just keep this one the way it is and don't risk it. But I know the upgrade will be so worth it.

Pulled the trigger on the aquatic life t5 hybrid. Bulbs will be 3 blue+ and 1 purple+ ( thanks @MaximusReef and @mnat for the recommendations) I will be running 3 ai primes with it as well. I have to determine if I'll be ceiling mounting the fixture or wall mounting it with the aquatic life wall mount kit. I still have to purchase the brackets for the ai primes to mount them to the fixture. This build is moving faster than expected but I still have to get a buddy over here to help me move the tank so I can clean it up. Then i can start plumbing and what not.
How do you like the light? I ordered the 61 inch AL hybrid for my upgrade so following here. Im going 2 blue+ and 2 actinic. Debating the full move or keeping my 65 running, at least while i transition i will. It’s all different equipment so no rush to break it down, and i have the space since my setup is in the basement.

How do you like the light? I ordered the 61 inch AL hybrid for my upgrade so following here. Im going 2 blue+ and 2 actinic. Debating the full move or keeping my 65 running, at least while i transition i will. It’s all different equipment so no rush to break it down, and i have the space since my setup is in the basement.
I haven't even assembled to fixture yet to be honest. I'm kinda at a stand still with the build until I get the 120 cleaned out which is becoming rather difficult. May just have to mock up the t5s over the 65 briefly to see how it looks together.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Originally I had on the tank 2xblue+, 1xTrue Actinic, and 1xPurple Plus and really liked the pop with the LED's AB+ setting.

Almost a year later and Im embarrassed to say I haven't made any progress on this build since my last update. My tank has been struggling after a mini crash and ive admittedly lost a bit of interest because of it. Over the next few weeks I'll be trying to pick up where I left off to get moving again with the build. If all goes to planned I'm hoping to make the transfer to the new tank for winter break when I have an 11 day staycation with nothing planned. I figure what better time than when I have multiple days in a row off. Wish me luck lol

There you are. Haven’t seen you post in a while. Welcome back. Don’t get discouraged. The challenges are what makes this hobby fun. Looking forward to seeing your progress.