• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120g Into the Sea -- My First Saltwater Build

Update:

Just bit the bullet and did a leak test of the tank and plumbing -- I kept putting it off.

SUCCESS!!! Had to tighten the bulkheads a little bit - hand tightening was not enough. and I'm running dry!!!!!!!

Going to drain the 30 or so gallons in the tank and get to putting rocks and sand in - guys, I'm so frakking excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Nijessi are those heater controlers the ones with the metal prongs? If so, I read they aren't good for saltwater as the salt will corrode the metal over time and they will fail. I found an option with the rubber tipped prongs that is saltwater safe.

@Nijessi are those heater controlers the ones with the metal prongs? If so, I read they aren't good for saltwater as the salt will corrode the metal over time and they will fail. I found an option with the rubber tipped prongs that is saltwater safe.
Do we think they will last for at least a year or so? I'm sure I'll have a controller by that point.....I also may have already thrown out teh boxes.....

Do we think they will last for at least a year or so? I'm sure I'll have a controller by that point.....I also may have already thrown out teh boxes.....
I'm not sure how long it would take, but something to keep an eye on. I'm sure it takes a while.

Tank is looking great!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That looks great. That mixing station will make water changes a breeze.
that is great use of crawl space.

the longer you can keep the tank dark the better. I did 90 days.

Ok! It's been awhile and its long past time for an update! Cycling has been a whirlwind -- I have been stable for a couple weeks now and got through my first big diatom bloom. I used a combination of BRS techniques and some tips from Reef Builders to get the cycle going at warp speed. It wouldn't normally have been possible but since I'm working from home (thanks Covid!) I've been able to monitor parameters closely and tank inhabitants closely. Also, the decision to go with an auto water change system has made everything MUCH easier to manage and keeps nutrients in check. I recorded a quick video updating where I'm at now and I'll be posting some threads on here soon about specific parts of my journey so far that will hopefully be helpful to others. Without further ado - roll the tape!

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Thanks for the update! The tank is looking great now you’re making me wish I went with the 180. The 2’ deep tank really adds depth and you’re rockscape is really cool too. Looking forward to seeing the coral grow out and fill it up.