• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 Dwarf Angels in 57g

I haven't set this tank up yet, but I enjoy trying to plan the stocking list. I would really like to have 2 dwarf angels, any 2 of these are the preference: Flame, Lemonpeel, Bi-color, or Pygmy Cherub. I do understand adding both of them together last would give the best chance of success. Planned tankmates would be 2 tank bred ocellaris clowns, tank bred orchid Dottyback Dottyback, tank bred yellow watchman goby, and possibly some barnacle blennies (still researching these).

So any thoughts on potentially having 2 of these angels together? Would this absolutely not work, or is this something that could be tried with a plan to rehome one of the angels if they don't get along at all?

Thanks for any insight/advice

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have two dwarfs in a 205 and they fight. If your heart is set on two angels in your tank then your best bet is a pair of the same kind. However, that in itself can be rather risky and tough to get a pair. If I had to pick one I would go with the pygmy out of that group.

It is possible, but I would go with the cherub and flame, as they tend to stay on the smaller side. Both can get very aggressive towards each other. If you plan on going this route try getting two small ones as close to the same size as possible and adding together. This is still no guarantee though and the flame will get larger than the cherub. I personally would only keep one of them in a 57. You might want to reconsider the dottyback if you plan on barnacle Blennies. I would pass on that fish and go with a flasher or fairy wrasse in its place. If you you go with a wrasse of any type look into a mesh top for your tank.

IME, dwarf angels are all completely different what works for one fish/ owner may not work for another. One fish may be reef-safe and another may not be. One fish may be aggressive, and another not.

I have 2 dwarf angels, a Coral Beauty & an African Flameback. They are together in a 90 gallon & I've never had a problem out of either of them. I've had the Coral Beauty about 3 years & added the Flameback about a year ago. They get along fine, but I hear that's not the norm. If you decide to try it, just make sure you have a good plan to remove one & re-home it without stressing out the other fish to much.

IME, dwarf angels are all completely different what works for one fish/ owner may not work for another. One fish may be reef-safe and another may not be. One fish may be aggressive, and another not.

I have 2 dwarf angels, a Coral Beauty & an African Flameback. They are together in a 90 gallon & I've never had a problem out of either of them. I've had the Coral Beauty about 3 years & added the Flameback about a year ago. They get along fine, but I hear that's not the norm. If you decide to try it, just make sure you have a good plan to remove one & re-home it without stressing out the other fish to much.

Those are very good points. If you want to do two angels, you probably don't want to put them in your DT right away. An angel war is a true war, and it will not be easy for you to remove them from your DT. If I were you, I would try them in a QT with dividers, allowing to see each other, but not interact. I would take the dividers away and watch them interact. Only if they are interacting OK for a long time would I consider adding both fish to a DT. With a 57g tank, you are pushing it if you try to house two dwarfs in your reef, both in terms of odds of success with the angels interacting well together and in terms of odds of angels picking at corals. It may be possible, but keep in mind that it may not- we cannot add a third dwarf to our 200g reef system. Our two dwarf angels have now been together for about 4 months, and they fight.

Thanks for the responses. I'll do some more research of other cool fish I could add and focus on just one angel. I feel like since clownfish are orange, and the flame is orange I should maybe go with a Lemonpeel to add different color.

I had a flame angel and he was pretty much a model citizen. He did like to eat pulsing xenia thou. But that maybe good depending on the situation :). I will admit I never had 2 thou. Good luck with your decision

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2