• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2019 CT Frag Farmer' s Market - Storrs CT, 3/2/19

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

Its back!!! I am putting together the 2019 edition of the New England Frag Farmer's Market to be hosted at E.O. Smith High School in Storrs CT on March 2nd, 2019 from 11am till 5pm. The event started as a chance for me and my students to host a frag swap at the school, promote aquaculture in the hobby, and show off the work that we are doing at the school with our corals. This will be the 12th annual FFM and it has grown into the biggest single day event in the country, drawing over 1300 people last year (with a snow storm the day before...). With over 60 coral vendors there are more corals at the FFM that at any other show. I have a few talks lined up and a few other tricks up my sleeve to make this year's FFM even bigger and better than last year! Admission is still just $5 and all the proceeds go to support the school's coral project. I have started to use the funds to help support other school coral projects in the area as well- so it all goes to a good cause!
Hope to see you all in March!
-Jon

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

Okay, lets start with some of the FFM announcements!!!
This year, we are going to host something different at the FFM- a celebrity painting session! At 1pm, in one of the classrooms, Rachel Fogle of Reef Weeds is going to be running a painting session for people to come in and do a Zoanthid painting with her. Its like a "Paint and Sip" but without the sip (sorry, it is a school...). You will spend an hour or so with Rachel, painting and at the end of the day, get to take ...your painting home! It's a great chance to have some fun, spend some time with Rachel, and learn a little painting. It would be great way to spend an hour at the FFM for any frustrated artists, bored spouses, etc... Best part- it's free! I only have space, and materials, for 18 people to come paint with Rachel, so the first 18 people who email me at swansonjl@hotmail.com will get a spot. I will make a wait list after that.
*We were really thinking of this for adults. Kids are welcome but any kids under 12 must have an adult painting with them.

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

The 2019-2020 FFM Coral Topiary Contest!​

Jon Simmons from Boston Aqua Farms is in the process of custom making me 50 of these Moai (~4" tall) to send home with 50 different people at the FFM this year. Your challenge is to take the Moai home and turn it into something amazing by growing coral, sponges, anemones, whatever on it in your reef. As it progresses over the year, post your best pictures in the CT Frag Farmer's Market group on FB, to show your work. One week before next year's FFM (which will be on 3/7/20), we (my students and I) will look through all of the images from the year and pick the best, most creative, Moai topiary. The winner will receive a $50 FFM Gift Certificate for the 2020 FFM, and a Boston Aqua Farms fragging prize package. Thanks to Jon for agreeing to help out with this.

"Official" Rules:
-Email me at swansonjl@hotmail.com to get your name on the list to be one of the 50 people to take one home - first emailed, first in
-Only one Moai per person
-Must be picked up at the 2019 FFM
-The Moai must be added to a saltwater tank (no cactus Moai, painted Moai, etc...)
-Photos must be of the actual Moai in a tank, not photoshopped

Last edited:

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
A few people have asked me if they can grab a Moai but not have to do the Facebook aspect of it. Being someone who is not all that FB connected (I only use it for the FFM and reef related things), I understand. If people would like to do the Moai contest, but not have to join or post on FB, that works for me. I just ask that you do me a favor and email me the pics, or PM them on the forum, so I can post them up for people to see. Hopefully that works!

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Here is the vendor list for the 2019 FFM...

Corals + Livestock
AC Corals
Alex's Advanced Aquatics
Aquatic Creations
Aquadreams
RozArt Corals
AZNnutty's Saltwater Connections
Blake's Aquaden
Blastomaster
Blue View Aquatics
Cheesy Corals
Coralcruze
Koral Craze
Coral Reef Connection
Covey's Coral Cove
Credable Coral Labs
Cully's Corals
DBReef
Dr. Salomon Corals
E.O. Smith Coral Project
Elmafioso52988
Exotic Fish and Corals
Fish Ninja
Frank180Reef
FUPA
Greg Demos - Aquacultured Acropora
Greg Hiller
Greg's Corals
Rick Correira
Headie Corals
Jason Foxx
King Pin Coral
Kwong1998
Back Woods Reefs
Manny Cabral
Marine Science Magnet School
Matt Spaulding
Mike Herbas
Micheal Reeve (Underwater Bliss)
Tidal Wave Aquatics
Mod Corals
Mocorals
No Comp Clowns
NY Coral King
Ocean State Aquatics
Pablo
Pacific East Aquaculture
Paulywalnuts
Pieces of the Ocean
Pop Corals
Reef Creations
Reef Junkies
Reef Shine Guys
Reef Trends
Rich Beck Jr.
Rick W.
RTMA Corals
Rudy Batara
School of Fish
Roaming Reefer
SickNTwisted Corals
Son and Sand
SteelerMike
Supreme Reefs
Talon's Cove
Tank Breakers
Tidal Wave Aquatics
The Reef Shoppe
TJM Corals
Triggreef
TSM Corals
Ultimate Corals
Usctom
Wet Pets
Zooanthids.com

Clubs
Boston Reefers
CTARS
LIRA
NY Reefs

Schools
Hall High School
Natchaug Elementary School
Marine Science Magnet School

“Dry Goods” CompaniesAgcore Technologies
Brightwell
Caribsea
Cobalt Aquatics
Colchester Pet
Credible Coral Labs Art
Dirks
Fritz
GHL
Kimmies Cupcakes
Mike's Phyto
Monti Caps
Mystic Aquarium
Neptune Systems
Polyp Labs
Quality Marine
Reef Breeders
Reef Nutrition
Reef Rax
Reef Shine
Reef Trends
Reef Weeds
Rock Hard Reefs
Sea Chem
Tropic Marin

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

Official rules:
-It is a 16 person, single elimination tournament.
-The first 16 people to email me at swansonjl@hotmail.com get a space in the 1st Annual FFM Cornhole Tournament. You need to email me with a name and a cell phone number so we can call you if you forget to come to your match.
-The round of 16 will start at 1pm and times will be posted for the second round and beyond, at the FFM.
-I will email the times for the matches after we have filled the spaces for the tournament.
-Any player not present for their match, will forfeit and the other player will move on to the next round.
-The winner of the tournament will have to hug Seth Swayne of the Reef Shine Guys to claim their prize.

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Less than 2 weeks to go before the biggest single day show in the US! Just a quick drive up 95!

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers

The eye candy that is being posted up in the FB group has been CRAZY. I can't seem to convince the vendors to post here so here is a sampling of what has been posted there by sellers at the FFM to show off what they are bringing...
Less than a week to go, 100+ vendors, not a show to miss!!!

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
Only a few days to go before the biggest single day swap in the whole US! Anyone even close to CT should give the Frag Farmer's Market a shot. If you have never come out, you will not be disappointed. With close to 80 coral vendors, (over 100 total), there are more corals at the FFM than at any other swap for sure. If you have come out in the past, you are already coming out, so I will see you there!

Here are some of the FFM FAQ…

"I have to drive 3 hours to get to the Frag Farmers, is it really worth it?"
-I always look at a big show this way; I drive an hour to go to some of the shops I like best. What if I could drive 3 to see all of the fish stores in one place. With almost 80 coral vendors this year, this is the single largest grouping of corals you can find anywhere. No conference, no show, no swap focuses on just corals like the FFM. With a number of vendors similar to a RAP, or MACNA, but a $5 entrance fee (and SUPER low vendor fee). The room after room of corals at the FFM is overwhelming, even to me and I have been at them all!

“How do I get tickets?”
Admission is $5 and spouses and kids under 12 are free! All sales are at the door for the FFM. There are no advanced sales.

"Will there be high end Zoas and SPS at the FFM?"
-Yes, there are a TON of high end Zoas and SPS at the FFM, sold by many of the vendors. The FB group for the event has been blowing up with “Who is brining (Fill in crazy name here) to the show?” and a few different people coming who have it answering. I see things at the FFM that I didn’t even know existed…

"Can I find easy to keep corals? I have a new tank and am just looking to fill some space."
-Yes, that is there too. Lots of the hobbyists farm easy stuff, GSP, mushrooms, leathers, xenia, etc... Our school project keeps mainly easy to keep stuff and would be happy to share!

"What are the typical prices at the FFM?"
-The prices at the FFM tend to be better than you will find elsewhere for three reasons. One, the shops always stock up to sell at shows and give better pricing than you would see in their store, or online. They often do package deals, 5 for $50, etc... Secondly, the buy-in for shops is so low, they don't feel the pressure to make back their set-up fee. Typical shows this size charge $1000's for the space, mine is still well under $100, and only $30 for hobbyists. People always ask why don't I charge more, and the answer is I'm not in this for the money. I just want to be able to run my coral project with the kids at the school. Lastly, with so many vendors, you can find the same coral at multiple stations. That competition causes better prices. Frags range anywhere from free (yes that happens!) all the way up to $1000+.

"Do vendors accept credit cards?"
-Some do, some don't. Most of the shops do but some of the hobbyists do not. I always suggest cash, it’s a sure thing.

“How much money should I bring?”
This is a tricky question. Let me give you a word problem to describe it (sorry it's a teacher thing):

When you leave home, you have $X you are planning to spend. You spend it in the first room of the FFM (there are 16 this year) You see five other things you want in the next room. You visit the ATM across the street and take out $Y for those pieces. Your cooler now weight Z lbs. You leave having spent $X + $Y, and wishing you had bought that one other frag that you had never seen before. How long will your wife make you sleep on the couch when she finds out how much money you spent? and can you see the tank from the couch?

Seriously, I always suggest that people bring 2-3X what they think they will spend. The deals and variety are too good to pass up at the FFM.

“Should I bring a cooler?”
Yes, bring a cooler. The good news is that you don’t have to lug it around all day. The FFM has added a FREE cooler check station. The volunteers at the station will watch your cooler for you all day. If you need to drop something off, just stop by the table and throw it into your cooler! Don’t worry your stuff will be safe at the cooler station.

"Is there a raffle?"
Yes there is. It is one of the biggest you will see at a swap with anything from rock to supplements, fish to coral, controllers to pumps, to AIO tanks, and a TON more! Raffle tickets are for sale all day at the FFM.

"Where does all the money from the FFM go?"-Unlike most shows, ALL of the proceeds go to support the E.O. Smith High School Coral Project. I teach my students about corals, aquaculture and conservation by having them help me run the schools coral farm. The FFM has become so successful that I have been able to start helping other schools get going with similar projects in their classrooms. I have also used the proceeds from the FFM to give out $3000 in scholarships over the last four years to students who are going to college to study marine science.

See you all in a few days!

Jon

fitch4

Area Reef Club Officers
A few people have asked about the snow predictions and the FFM. Looks like we are going to get a few inches, ending in the morning, no big deal for people from the northeast and certainly no reason to hunker down like the world is ending...
THE FFM IS ON!