• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29gallon newbie

hey everyone i ended up just buying a new bulkhead kit however now im having leaking coming from the pvc extension to the flexible hose, should i use pvc cement here and aquarium sealant or can i just use the sealant?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
timdmb said:
hey everyone i ended up just buying a new bulkhead kit however now im having leaking coming from the pvc extension to the flexible hose, should i use pvc cement here and aquarium sealant or can i just use the sealant?

I'm not quite sure what type of bulkhead kit you got or how you're using it. If you got the slip fitting type and you're talking about the piece of PVC that slides inside of the bulkhead, then yes, definitely use PVC solvent and cement to glue it in. Really, you should almost always use solvent and cement with PVC slip fittings.

If I missed what you were saying, post up some pics and we'll take it from there.

thanks john, you hit the nail righ ton the head, and i had already went out and did it, much to my approval so far so good, any suggestions on heaters i have an old rena 100w in there and its not really doing it, i have a 29 gallon tank and about 8 or 9 gallons in the sump (old 20 gallon tank) it seems to only keeping the temp of the tank around 72-74, thank for joining along on the thread

Sounds like you are having fun. ;D I don't know where I got those rocks. All I have is marcosrock from 7months ago when I started this hobby. I would order form them. I'm here if you need me.

thanks yeah even if im only staring at a tank with a few rocks its a fun learning curve, btw the skimmer pulled out some real nasty smelly gunk. i think im finally leak free im gonna keep an eye on it for a couple more days before i put the sand bed in though

i have about 15 pounds of sand danny gave me about 10 or so of live sand he had sitting around and i bought another five of live carribean sand "ocean direct brand"

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear you're leak-free, now you can start having some fun!

By the sounds of it, you could probably use another 100w heater. I've heard that a good rule of thumb is 5 times your volume in watts. You're just under 40g, so around 200w would be about right. I'd split it between 2 smaller heaters instead of using just one large one.

I have to agree with Roadking on the marco rock. As soon as I saw it in person, I gave up on my current rock and ordered a boatload from Marc. Once it's done curing the whole tank is coming apart . . . . AGAIN!

almost leak free, overflow box is leak free but now one of the connections from the scwd is leakin, i unplugged and decided to walk away for a bit, i prolly just have to figure out a way to tighten that connection (where the outflow connects to the flexible hose) ill take a picture at some point i need to feed myself, thanks everyone for the input its been real useful and encouraging

just use aquarium sealant on this connection though right? thanks I'm almost glad i have these leaks learnign a little simple plumbing, itll make it easier on me down the line

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
timdmb said:
I'm almost glad i have these leaks learnign a little simple plumbing, itll make it easier on me down the line

That's a great attitude to have!

so just an update, i finally worked out all the leaks, been running for two days leak free so i decided to put my sand in tonight, now i have a tank of mud, and the waiting continues, any tips for me while im waiting for it all to settle?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Congrats on finally getting your system leak free. My suggestion for while you're waiting is to do some research and read and then so some research and read and then some research and read some more. . . . Lots of patience and research right now will save you a lot of problems in the future.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

hey everyone been up and running for a week now saw my ammonia spike and drop to barely detectable now see the nitrites at 2 and nitrates still coming up 0... when would it be advisable to add in live rock, currently i have about 15 pounds of dry rock and maybe 10-12 pounds of live sand. Also im having a little trouble with the salinity, salt has been added but still no reading on the hydrometer, so i went and bought a new one and seasoning it now will recheck later, any other inexpensive ways to check this? finally my tmep has been consistent at 72, still havent gotten another heater just been working long hours, and i figured its not necessary right now as long as im up in the 70's, anyway any advice would be appreciated.

PB270483.jpg

just an update, not much new just the sand and rock... oh and no leaking

LOL, looking good. Let me know when you are ready for some corals. Do you have anything to clean the glass? Magfloat with reefgaget works well.

thats actually what i was gonna ask, also the hydrometer wasnt working got a new one now my specific gravity is 1.03, any advice on how to bring it down?

timdmb said:
not really a great pic but its leaking at the very bottom of the black piece (bulkhead) and up where the nut screws on if that makes sense

Just to make sure, is the rubber gasket inside or outside the box? It should be inside, and only the nut outside.