• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

50/50 bulb or 10k

Currently in my tank i have 3 bulbs, 2 10k and 1 actinic. The colors in my tank look amazing when i have the single actinic on, but when i put on my 2 10k's, it is so bright, that things tend to drab out a bit (for lack of a better word)

it is getting close to the time i should replace my bulbs, and i am not sure if i should go with 1 10k, 1 50/50 and 1 actinic

or maybe
1 10k, 2 50/50

is there any reason why i should keep 2 10k and 1 actinic. is it better for the reef for 2 10k's

thanks

PC or T5

Really doesn't matter but easier to recomend exact bulbs....10K, ATI blue(something in the 14K range or mix PC bulb) and one true actinic. The par will be higher for the blueish bulb vs actinic...will give some corals more pop...ditto fish...then a 10K.

If PC the would say one of each. I know T5 lights tons better then PC...though you can find some variety I don't really know who makes what.

i was doing more thinking on this

at one point i thought,
just 3 50/50 bulbs, but then i cant do the dawn/dusk
or two 50/50 and 1 actinic. then i would have more actinic then white. i am not sure if that is healthy for the corals

then finally i thought of what was suggested, of 1 of each, which would basically give me exactly the same amount of white as actinic.

i really dont know what would be best, and i found the bulbs for around 11 dollars a piece, which isnt too bad. i dont really need to replace them today, but i definitely want to plan it out asap since we are going shopping on sunday for them

i think i figured out my problem. My actinic bulb after a short while doesnt shine blue, it shines white. i am guessing it has gone bad. I am going to call oceanic and see if they will warranty it because i am still in the manufacturers warranty period.

if not, i will just buy it, but i figure if they will warranty it, that is better

i just got off the phone with oceanic. they are very hard to get a hold of, but i finally did, and they are going to cover the actinic bulb.

hopefully this fixes the issue

just an update...in case anyone was wondering

the actinic bulb arrived today. i decided to plug in the new actinic next the old one to compare it. the new one is so blue, and the old one is more of a whitish purple. i am shocked the actinic that came with it didnt even last 2 or 3 months.

i am glad they warrantied it though.

Sounds more like a 460 nm vs 420 nm ...blue vs actinic. Actinics are usually a bit like what you say the blue bulbs are brighter...that goes to the par of the ATI blue plus.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
youpey said:
just an update...in case anyone was wondering

the actinic bulb arrived today. i decided to plug in the new actinic next the old one to compare it. the new one is so blue, and the old one is more of a whitish purple. i am shocked the actinic that came with it didnt even last 2 or 3 months.

i am glad they warrantied it though.
That's cool they did that.. are the bulbs straight pin or Square pin?