• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

8 Days in the Mountains of Mexico

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a great trip to the middle of Mexico at the end of January. I spent 8 days living in the middle of nowhere, Mexico. It was a great experience where I got to see people really live off the land. Take no more than they need and waste nothing. Nearly everything was re-used and recycled. Nothing was thrown away. Nobody used plastic. It was a amazing. I took a billion pictures and I thought I'd share a few of them here. Ok... this is more than a few!

The rest (if you can imagine) are HERE.

DSC_9581.jpg

DSC_9612.jpg

The chickens were let out during the day and went back into their pen happily on their own at night.
DSC_9478.jpg

DSC_9497.jpg

As I was walking past this hen's nest one day I saw her off looking for food so I thought I'd grab
a couple of pictures of the nest. That didn't last long. As soon as she saw someone near her nest
she ran straight for it and covered it back on. I got exactly ONE photo of the uncovered eggs!
DSC_0693.jpg
DSC_0694.jpg

These two had full reign of the house. They were often seen in the kitchen. We had chicken for dinner
(store bought, not one from the yard) exactly once. My sister couldn't bear to eat her friends after that!
DSC_0837.jpg

This is corn that the family grew that has dried. This corn is taken off of the husk and fed to the
chickens. We also took a bucket of this corn down to the mill lady who charged the equivillent of
70c to mill the corn to meal that was used to make the day's tortillas.
DSC_9943.jpg

Even Rebecca got in on the act of husking the corn.
DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

This is the machine that milled the corn.
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

These are the honey bee hives that are used to keep the bees/collect the honey. Our first day we
got there late so all the bees were asleep, but it was too dark to get much of the scenery (great
because this was on top of the mountain so you got to see all of the surrounding villages).
DSC_0136.jpg

These were taken the second day we climbed the mountain. Since it was day time the bees were VERY
active and we couldn't get near the hives.
DSC_0245.jpg
DSC_0257.jpg

This was the river we walked across to get to the milpa (Field) where the corn is grown.
DSC_0521.jpg

This wood and metal hoe was attached to the horse and used to plow the field.
DSC_0524.jpg

In order to water the field they would divert river water and control it with dams to make sure
that the entire field was properly watered.
DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg
DSC_0537.jpg

DSC_0534.jpg

This is a picture of a restaurant in the city of Putla. We had tacos for breakfast/lunch while
we were in town shopping for groceries.
DSC_9515.jpg

DSC_9516.jpg
DSC_9525.jpg

This look exemplified the look we got ALL THE TIME when people saw us. One little girl actually
hid in the woods watching us from behind a tree as we passed. White people in the heart of Mexico
are quite the rarity.
DSC_9517.jpg

This is the meat market. The thing that really struck me here is that all the meat sits out on
the counter. None of it is refrigerated. And there are a LOT of flies in Mexico.
DSC_9540.jpg

DSC_9541.jpg

The food is all cooked over a wood fire on the stove. To make a second "burner" coals are raked
out from the heart of the fire to the edge of the 3 bricks that are used as a "burner" to rest the pot.
DSC_9910.jpg

DSC_9929.jpg

I loved their kitchen. I took MANY pictures of it. It was the primary place that we spent our time
when we were "inside", though much of our time at home was spent on the front porch.
DSC_9892.jpg

The sink you see here is used to wash the dishes as well as the clothes. They had a washer machine
for the clothes, but Mama always washed them by hand before she used it. She said it didn't get the
clothes clean enough. I can say with all certainty that my clothes have never been so clean!
DSC_9940.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg
DSC_0604.jpg

The curtain on the right is for the toilet and the curtain on the left was for the shower. There was
running water, but it was well and all cold. If we needed hot water it was heated and used from a pot.
DSC_9945.jpg

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great Pics Phyl. Thanks for sharing. That must have been an awesome experience. I love watching the way others live off the land. They really are incredible with what they do. They have nothing, yet they have everything and are happy. Sometimes I wondered who is better off. I'm sure you have some great stories to go along with those pics can't wait to hear them.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is funny because I've talked about that very thing with folks since I've been back. Was it poverty? By our standards you'd say yes. But... it didn't seem like poverty to me. It felt more like a life rich in enjoyment and free from stress. They could happily live on about 300$ a month and my camera alone could build a mansion. I added some back story to some of the pictures to give a little context.

What an awesome experience. I would love to immerse myself into a culture like that. It's amazing when you think about how much we waste as individuals compared to entire communities such as them. Sad. It's interesting that you compare standards of what wealth is. It must be nice to experience a culture in which values don't revolve around money in the bank, but rather a community. Also, it looks beautiful there. I'm jealous.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It was fun to be immersed in so different a culture. It was a lot like camping in that we went to bed with the sun and woke up to the Roosters (who were occassionally not very kind). I actually knew precious little Spanish when I went and while I'm not a whole lot more knowledgeable now I was certainly able to make due with what I knew and was able to communicate with the people that we stayed with (in spite of them knowing no English). And I picked up a few words and phrases while I was at it.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hawk, I'm pretty certain that there was a chalk board on the other side of the room from where I was standing. The other interesting thing to note is that the kids there are in school 12 months a year and there is no air conditioning in the buildings. If I'm not mistken that was either a science or math classroom. The English classrooms had things that were written by the students in English and they were really funny to read. I had taken a picture of one of them but I'd need to do some recovery on the image to get the words clearer. Worth doing just to see what they have to say though. I remember my sister and I being shocked at just how different their perspective is.

Mike, Thanks! Sign me up!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyllis,

Great pictures and stories...it must have been an amazing trip!
Coming from Brasil I can tell you that the happiest people I met in my life were also some of the poorest, not the poor person living in the middle of an urban area, but the poor person leaving of the land, farming what they need, and living life at a slower, less needy manner.

I agree that your narrative via pictures would make for great photo journalism!

Rod

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We're up for a trip to the middle of Brazil whenever you're ready, Rod! I bet that would be equally as fascinating.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
where I am from would look like Manhattan! :p But I could take you North or to the farm and you would see the same as you saw in Mexico!

Rod

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL on Manhattan. Acapulco reminded me of Miami (along with any other tropical resort town I've ever been in). I was far less impressed -- and took SIGNIFICANTLY fewer photos in the 2 days Acapulco than I did during any single one of the 8 days we were in Yosotiche.

My sister had the bright idea of -- instead of driving straight through from Yosotiche to Acapulco we would drive half way, grab a motel room for the night and continue the other half in the morning. What she didn't count on was not being able to find an open entrance way to a motel. We saw several in the waning hours of our evening portion of the trip, but couldn't find a DOOR to any hotel we ventured across. So 5 of us and a baby slept in the parking lot of a gas station for the night. Happily there was an armed police officer standing watch. Made us all feel a bit safer (even if we really weren't).

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
It is funny because I've talked about that very thing with folks since I've been back. Was it poverty? By our standards you'd say yes. But... it didn't seem like poverty to me. It felt more like a life rich in enjoyment and free from stress.

Exactly what I was saying. I went on a half day off road tour into a remote part of Costa Rica. This is where I learned this. We stopped along the route to see a little 1 room schoolhouse. The children were out playing for lunch, but there was no electric in the classroom. all there were was some desks and a chalkboard. Our tourguide told us that the older half of the school kids go to school in the AM and the younger half go to school in the PM and I do believe it was year round as well. The other thing that also shocked me was that the students have to upkeep the school building and grounds!

The other this that amazed me was the fact that everyone is always having a good time and everyone knows each other. They tend each others farms and still have a great time. I guess with no car maintenance and little to no house maintenance they can do that!

The funniest hing I saw there was the mailman who has to deliver the mail via an on/off road motorcycle(dirtbike).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When you get mail in Yosotiche the mailman comes and leaves a note at your house for you to go to town and pick it up!

They walk everywhere (man I wish that was possible here). What great exercise we got there. Walking to the orange and coffee trees, up to the honey bees, down to the milpa, to church, the little tiendas for our daily needs (which included walking back up hill one of the days with a 5g bottle of water, which I carried).

You're right. Everyone knows everyone. They all talk to you as you pass (in Spanish of course, which was always a riot if I walked by myself). Each store owner knew which store you could get tomatillos or montequilla at if they didn't carry it, who had the bottled water, etc. It was a great throwback to a much simpler time. Progress is a funny word for it.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian said:
Nice tank!

+1. What salt do you use? ;D

I'm sooooooo glad Phyl's back home safe and sound. It was a long 11 days while she was away. Now all I hear is "We have to go there for vacation in December." I'm thinking that I only get 2 weeks off, and as quaint as that looks, I'm not spending them there!