• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

8 Days in the Mountains of Mexico

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Your next task is to learn the spanish to try and describe reefing to them. You might need more than 11 days down there.

Great pics btw, I am with John though, vacation means doing as little as possible and drinking as much as possible.

thank you for sharing. most of the picture remind me of my homeland 20 years ago. even now, in remote area, people still living the same condition as I saw in your pictures. and yes, they are happily with $300 income and yes, your nikon D3x can built a mansion or run the entire town for 1 year.
it is very cool to see these pictures because most tourist don't travel into these remote areas and living the local style. I do this everytime i got a chance however, with my 2 years old son, it is hard to do since his mother is too worry about health :).
I need to learn to speak spanish (enough to communicate in simple term to pick up chick j/k) so I can travel into south america more often. I went to Dominican Republic and god, i wish I can speak some spanish so I can talk to local people.
anyway, good pictures and thank you for sharing. I love those chickens with neck hanging :) scary for most of familiar for someone like me :)
Olivier

Amazing pics, they tell a story in themselves. I can only imagine the stars at night down there. Pictures like that always blow my mind, with all these distractions we have and take for granted. Its really a reality check.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for looking Olivier! I really feel priviledged to have been able to enjoy Mexico from that perspective. Others have asked how they would go about booking such a trip (I have NO idea how you'd do it if you didn't have family there).

And yes, absolutely a reality check. Amazing though how easy it is to fall right back into your routine when you get home though!

Things as simple as walking. There we walked everywhere in the village and we hardly needed to go out of the village for every day needs (probably a sum total of 3 square miles). Vastly different from my Central Jersey perspective where NOTHING is in easy walking distance.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
GROUP buy TRIP! NJreefers hit Mexico.

Phyl you should send word back that people may be interested in their version of Bed and Breakfast This could become their big business opportunity and become rich!

Phyl said:
Things as simple as walking. There we walked everywhere in the village and we hardly needed to go out of the village for every day needs (probably a sum total of 3 square miles).

Actually you can have that priviledge in the island known as manhattan. Of course you'd be paying $1000 per sq ft to live there but that's besides the point...

you people with nikons...need a "club/group" or something so i can pick your brains. i would love a camera like that. Testing out the one that mikem (D40) won at macna made me realize how truly awful my point and shoot is.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Manhattan couldn't be any further from the feeling you have walking around the villages in Mexico! LOL! Everything is in walking distance though!

I've never hated anything as much as I hated point and shoot cameras. It killed me. I spent more time and energy trying to make it act like a real camera.

Thank goodness DLSRs are now affordable.

I love Nikon. ;D

"yes thank goodness DLRSs are now affordable" but not your camera with a cost that could built a mansion in Mexico :). Point and Shoot is not the camera for me. I can use it but god, I hate it just like I hate my left hip. (fr*cking hip is locking up on me from time to time, can not walk straight at the age of 35. I have to take percoset every now and then.) get yourself a DSRL. it will last a long time with you. those Point and shoot cameras are ok but they fail very easily.
Olivier

Phyl said:
Manhattan couldn't be any further from the feeling you have walking around the villages in Mexico! LOL! Everything is in walking distance though!

I've never hated anything as much as I hated point and shoot cameras. It killed me. I spent more time and energy trying to make it act like a real camera.

Thank goodness DLSRs are now affordable.

I love Nikon. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier said:
Point and Shoot is not the camera for me. I can use it but god, I hate it just like I hate my left hip.

Someone asked me to use their point-n-shoot the other day. Of course they gave it to me because they said "you're good with a camera". LMAO. I didn't get a single useable photo. I was so embarrassed!! It was terrible.