• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

80g rimless build

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So was hoping to move the it all in the office today. I ran into a few problems.
The hinges were very rusty and fell apart, an able to get them off for replacement.
More concerning is the stand inside the press board is bulging at bottom and a piece came off. Is this fixable? Can I use a live of 2x4 placed inside and screw the press board to it? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_104646.jpg
    IMG_20200926_104646.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200926_105408.jpg
    IMG_20200926_105408.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 73

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Or what if I went vertical? A piece of solid wood from bottom to top. The top of stand and tank would have that for support. It won't be 4 feet because of the fasteners, so in between them.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like it's crumbling on you, the concern for me would be if there's anything there for a piece of wood to grab on.

You may need to sandwich 2 pieces of wood to that bottom piece.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I wouldn’t put anything on that. If your handy build one. But that stand is dangerous. You would have to put 4 vertical supports and brace horizontal. Essentially a new stand.

You don’t want a tank on the floor

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Think I am going to try and make a stand with 2x4 next week.
Will save doors and top just in case I can reuse them.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
That’s the go to design. It works really wel. Heavy but will hold a tank

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Yeah. The new problem, my circular saw isn't working.
Can someone drop by next weekend and help me build the stand
Or borrow a saw to cut the wood?I

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Where are you located. bud. I might have something laying around u could borrow

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Dude! I'm sorry I missed this thread last weekend. Would have brought the saw over.
You're probably better off with the crew that came though, as the two times I built that design it only needed 10-12 shims to level it.
When I build things out of wood I don't call them mis-shapen, I call themm rustic.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Instead of wrapping the back and sides with wood I am considering using shower curtains attached to it. My goal is to keep any moisture off the office walls.
Thoughts on this?

I'd probably build a traditional stand as plywood will give your stand added strength. also you can have switches and controls on the side (outside) mounted to wood.

to deal with mosture in the stand you can just install a computer fan pointing towards the side or even the front. you can install a second fan on the rear sucking air in so that back wall will stay relatively dry