• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A discussion on Immunity

Paul B

NJRC Member
I have been thinking about this for seven or eight years and finally, through scientific research and my experimentation I think I have figured out something that may change the way we run aquariums. For many years I have been feeding live blackworms, live amphipods and live new born brine shrimp to my tank and I always assumed the excellent health of my fish was a result of that. My fish seem immune from just about everything including bacterial infections and parasites. Although live food seems to be the reason for their immunity, I think I found out the exact mechanism for the immunity. It's not so much that the food is live, but that the bacteria inside the guts of the food is also live. Many of our fish are quarantined for 72 days, then put in a sterile tank and fed things like freeze dried worms, pellets, flakes and frozen food. Almost all of that food is sterile although frozen food "may" have some living bacteria, albeit weak. Fish in the sea eat nothing but live food along with it's associated gut and skin bacteria. New reasearch indicates that a fishes immune system, while vastly different from ours still depends on the fish meeting an infectious agent to impart immunity to the animal. Our immune system is mainly concentrated in our bone marrow but fish have no bone marrow and instead produce antibodies in their kidney and spleen. The bacteria on the food the fish eat filters through the kidney which helps the immune system recognize a threat. The immune response of fish is to produce slime which completely covers the fish and the slime contains "activated macrophages"
Following are just "partial" quotes of this informative article that I have found which makes good reading especially to the many aquarists that don't believe fish can become immune from disease and parasites. I quoted some parts of the article that I thought were more suited to this post but it is incomplete and can be read in full if you Google the link starting with (ISRN ImmunologyVolume 2012 Maria Angeles
Ref: Copyright © 2012 María Ángeles Esteban. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
(ISRN ImmunologyVolume 2012 (2012), Article ID 853470, 29 pageshttp://dx.doi.org/10.5402/2012/853470Review ArticleAn Overview of the Immunological Defenses in Fish SkinMaría Ángeles Esteban)
Quote: Immunity associated with the parasites depends on the inhabiting discrete sites in the host. Especially important for this paper are the ectoparasites, those habiting in or on the skin. Until recently there had been little direct evidence of innate immune mechanisms against parasites associated with mucosal epithelium [285]. The active immunological role of skin against parasitic infection has been shown recently [286288], and now mucosal immunity against them start to be elucidated.
Non-parasitic fishes usually die following infection, but animals surviving sublethal parasite exposure become resistant to subsequent challenge. This resistance correlates with the presence of humoral antibodies in the sera and cutaneous mucus of immune fishes.
According to these authors "probiotic for aquaculture is a live, dead or component of a microbial cell that, when administered via the feed or to the rearing water, benefits the host by improving either disease resistance, health status, growth performance, feed utilisation, stress response or general vigour, which is achieved at least in part via improving the hosts or the environmental microbial balance."The first demonstration that probiotics can protect fishes against surface infections was against Aeromonas bestiarum and Ichthyophthirius multifiliis in rainbow trout [330]. The research on this topic is considered of high priority at present because enriched diets could be used as preventive or curative therapies for farmed fishes. End Quote
Another interesting fact found in a recent issue of Scientific American By Ferris Jabr | September 12, 2012 |
States that zebra fish whose guts were rich in bacteria absorbed more fats from their food as compared to fish in a germ free envirnment which in turn increased the number of energy-rich fat bubbles stored within the fish's intestinal cells for later use.
I also discovered while researching is that fish fed a vaired diet actualy had less bacterial diversity in their gut than fish fed only one or two different types of food. I have always said that fish do not need a vaired diet, they need what they were designed to eat and nothing more. My fish are normally fed only three types of food. Live worms, frozen clams and frozen mysis. The smaller fish are only given live new born brine shrimp. I sometimes increase the diversity of their diet as an experiment but when that is over, they go back to their normal diet.
Coincidently in this months "Popular Science" (August 2015) there is an article about this very topic. The author states that the most germ free envirnment today is on the International Space Station. Everything is sterilized including the air. All the surfaces are coated with bacteria limiting coatings, even the water is treated with iodine and biocidal nano silver so the only bacteria prsent are the ones coming from the astronauts themselves. They can't open a window or send out for Pizza so there is no fresh influx of microbes to balance the ecosystem. Sounds like quarantining doesn't it? He also states that a loss of gut bacteria correlates with many diseases and could impede longer space travel. If we lose our gut bacteria, our immune system goes dormant.
In the real world bacteria, viruses and parasites evolved right along with other organisms that help keep each organism in check. They have their enemies and friends. When we mess with the system by using antibiotics or extended periods of quarantine, or remove living bacteria from their food, we are dooming the fish to a life where they are on the verge of getting a fatal disease.
This is also the reason so many diseases are contracted in hospitals, a place where great pains are taken to keep the place clean. They are clean, so the only bacteria present are from sick people with no other bacteria or viruses to counteract them. It is now thought that people using those hand sanitizers from very young are at a higher risk of becomming an allergic toddler.
Human babies born normally pick up Lactobacillus in the birth canal which helps them digest milk and lowers the gut's pH to the normal range. but babies born by C-section miss out and could be born with Staphlococcus and sometimes antibiotic resistant bacteria. (Rinku Patel Popular Science August 2015)
So after researching all of this I have come to the conclusion that quarantining fish for an extended amount of time is actually very bad for our fishes health. In my opinion, if we want to quarantine I would do it using drugs such as copper in the theory that doing so will kill any parasites present in about 10 days while keeping the immunity the fish intact. Then I would feed at least some live food every day not just for the vitamins that come from live food, but for the bacteria. I am not sure how long a fishes immunity lasts but in the sea, it was immune, or almost immune for it's entire life. When a fish is collected, stored, starved and shipped it is in a very weakened state and their immune system is hardly functioning so even though the immune response to parasites, viruses and bacteria is there. It isn't strong enough to protect the fish, but if we can get it out of stress, fed live bacteria laden food and in a stable envirnment as soon as possable, it will recover and sustain some of their immunity.
How many times do we read that a tank full of quarantined fish suddenly crashes and all the fish are lost to a parasite? It happens daily and all you have to do is go on any fish forum and search for it. Fish quarantined for extended amounts of time and fed sterile foods "have no immune system what so ever". I didn't make this up as you can read the articles I referenced or just Google "Fish Immunity" where you will find a plethora of new research which suggests that keeping fish sterile is the complete wrong thing to do. I rarely put references in my posts because I normally do my own research. But I realize I am not a fish doctor, researcher or marine biologist. What I am is an aquarist with immune fish. How do I know they are immune? I know because some of them have been in my tank for over 20 years, I add fish from many stores and even the sea. I can add fish with obvious parasites and in no case will anything else become infected. Many times during the year I add mud from the sea for the bacteria I always thought it was a good idea, now I know why. My fish get some live food every day and always have. I even think that the fish infected with parasites that I add strengthn the immune system so they never become infected. Of course we can't add parasite infected fish to a system that is not already immune and that is where the problem starts.
. If this is not immunity I am an extreamly lucky individual and should go out and buy lottery tickets today.

Paul i really enjoy reading your posts and I know they are valid points. However after losing many old fish from a new addition that brought in ick I am gun shy. My current fish were treated with copper and prazipro. How would I start safety building their immunity?

Paul B

NJRC Member
That is a tough question and I am not sure I have the answer. My fish keep their immunity because I don't quarantine anything and feed live or frozen foods exclusively along with the bacteria they have on and in them. If you have a tank where everything was quarantined for a long time and you feed mostly dry food, I don't think the fish have immunity from anything and any introduction of disease may wipe out the entire collection. It happens all the time as we can read on any forum.
If I had a tank of fish like that I would feed live foods every day until the fish were in breeding mode then maybe experiment with one or two fish in a separate tank by introducing some wild fish. I am not sure if just the act of feeding live food every day would ilicit enough response to the fishes immune system to get it immune. I would think some meeting of parasites would be necessary to get the fish immune to them but it would be tricky to do that to such fish. Parasites on any fish are very easy to eliminate, but not so easy in a reef tank. What we need is a serum that can be added to food that is composed of dead or weak parasites just like we get when we get shots for the flu, measles or anything else.
People tell me I am mean because I let my fish live with parasites. My 24 year old fish think otherwise and I personally would rather be immune from something than have to be afraid of it for the rest of my life. :p

From your other posts on nutrition I now often feed frozen minced whole clams and juice. I don't know if they retained any bacteria once frozen. Do you know if prazipro would also kill good bacteria with the unwanted parasites

Paul i really enjoy reading your posts and I know they are valid points. However after losing many old fish from a new addition that brought in ick I am gun shy. My current fish were treated with copper and prazipro. How would I start safety building their immunity?

It's Russian roulette adding a new fish to a healthy population. Its not worth the expense and heart ache. QTing works. When we have sick humans with infectious disease we isolate the disease, we don't say, go for it, rely on your immune system.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Saltcreep, I would imagine Prizapro will kill all bacteria, but I am guessing.

Mark, you are missing my point. I agree with you that you should not put a new fish into a "healthy" population of fish. But your definition of healthy is different than mine. My definition of healthy is when fish are spawning or in spawning condition and are immune from diseases like my fish are. If I quarantined everything for 2 months, they may be healthy looking but without a functioning immune system so as long as I never introduce any disease organisms, I assume the fish would be fine. Some of my fish are over 20 years old and have never been sick, not even a headache so I can put any fish in there (as I have been doing for decades) and they will stay healthy. Any diseases or parasites will actually make my fish stronger. There has not been a disease in my tank since before Carter was President. (he was after Lincoln) Diseases and parasites are a non issue for me because I keep my fish immune just as they were in the sea. I think if you want to quarantine, and many people should, you should not do it too long so the fish can keep some immunity. Just my opinion of course as I am not the God of fish :D

horseplay

NJRC Member
It's Russian roulette adding a new fish to a healthy population. Its not worth the expense and heart ache. QTing works. When we have sick humans with infectious disease we isolate the disease, we don't say, go for it, rely on your immune system.

We don't QT a foreigner when he enters the country, even if he is tired and sick and carry transmittable diseases. In fact we allow them to sit right next to us in the same small airplane for long period of time while breathing the same air and using the same restrooms to pee and poop! Humans are immune to 99%+ of the bad bugs out there just the few very bad ones we have to watch out for. In fact when someone is constantly exposed to small amount of bugs he gets a better immune system. I would imagine healthy fish are the same, immune to 99% of the bugs.

Just to clarify I do QT fish a for few days for them to recovered and eat but not the 72 days or long kind of QT.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Note to self - Talk to Papa John's about the first Pizza Shop Franchise on the Moon... make sure anchovies are standard topping. :saturn:

Seriously though, I have always been a believer in Paul's suggestion for live foods but mostly due to the nutritional value. After reading this info, I now understand the importance of introducing bacteria on occasion to help the immune system thrive. It makes perfect sense so not sure why it took us all so long to realize it's importance.

I usually put all of my fish in QT before going into my tank, but it's a 30 day QT and I have always fed them live blackworms almost daily during that time. I always did this more for my existing fish rather than the new fish as I like to observe the new fish and make sure it is healthy before infecting my existing fish. Mine are not quite as old as Paul B's and I doubt they are immune just yet. But I've mainly been feeding them live blackworms, homemade frozen foods (made from clams, shrimp, scallops, muscles, squid, nori, and a few other fresh ingredients I can't remember right now). I sometimes pick up some live brine shrimp and/or tigger pods from my LFS and repopulate my system with those too. So, I think my fish are getting the proper foods they need to become immune eventually. Maybe I'll start throwing in some fresh clams once in a while too.

As always, thanks for the info and your outlook on this topic Paul.

I knew that the time my daughter licked the poll in the subway I wasn't a bad father I was building her immune system. Though seriously I agree with what you are saying.

Paul B

NJRC Member
After riding the crowded subways in Manhattan for 40 years, I am sure I have licked the hand rails a few times because sometimes they are so crowded that your face is pushed up against them and you can't move.
I think many in this hobby are thinking as we did in the 70s, but I feel we need to advance and progress a bit. We humans try to become immune by being inoculated with weak organisms and it works for us. We are immune from most things. Our ancestors were also immune from most things because they were exposed more to stale food, and dirt. Remember for the first 300,000 years we didn't bathe or wash anything including our food and we got along just fine except for that Saber tooth tiger thing.
Now that civilization here is relatively clean, our immune system is not as strong as it used to be. Even in the last 100 years we have lost some immunity. My own Mother lived to be 99 never being in a hospital or taking an aspirin. As a young girl, when she would get sick, her Mother would make her sleep in the stable with the horses because they thought the smell of horse poop would keep her free of disease. It seems to have worked.
Her brother, my Uncle, also lived into his 90s, never having seen a doctor or dentist (or paid taxes) in his life. Like never. And he was very strong and would have killed you if you looked at him wrong. Those were strong people with a strong immune system. He was even stabbed numerous times and cleaned it with a rag he cleaned eels with. Now that is an immune system. (he worked at the New York City docks and that was one of the toughest places on earth in the 1920s) If any or us did that, we would be dead. I don't advocate living like that, but it shows how our immune system can be if it is exposed to disease organisms and how us modern humans unfortunately lost most of that ability through our hygiene. Now we depend on doctors and medications to keep us healthy because our immune system is not allowed to do the job it was designed for. But we can keep our fish immune without feeling bad that they don't practice the proper hygiene. Their tank is not supposed to be squeaky clean. It may make us feel better but it is bad for the fish who were designed to live in an ocean that has everything in it including Amelia Hearts shoes and Columbus underwear. :p
I realize this thinking is backwards from the way we were brought up and I can't help that. I don't like thinking about re cycled Ideas that obviously don't work. I get a lot of flack from my ideas but I feel it is common sense.
I also was always taught to wash my hands before I eat and still do, but just because we were taught that doesn't mean it will help us stay immune from anything.
Doctors are now prescribing much less antibiotics for this very reason, so our own immune system can strengthen itself and help us in the future just as Supermodels sometimes do.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Heya Paul,

I'm on board with this. I work in healthcare and dabble in reading scientific papers for fun. Its a fact, established more and more every paper or two, that human gut bacteria (of which we have more of than actual cells in our bodies) is at least partially responsible for depressive disorders, weight disorders, immunological disorders, cardiovascular health, etc, etc. There was an interesting article published about 12 years ago which attributed the rise in allergies to the elimination of a certain gut organism through immunization. The author injected himself with an in vitro sample of said bacteria and his allergic reaction (measured via blood antihistimines) decreased to almost nil within a few weeks when exposing himself to an ample amount of allergens, showing that, in at least his case, gut organisms were preventing allergic reactions.

The timing of this post is interesting as well, as my wife and I are close to baby number 2. We've been told my wife may need a C-section, which is named after a salad for some obscure reason. We're concerned for the C-section as it would mean a delay in the production of the baby's gut bacteria. WARNING - ichy! In a normal vaginal birth, the baby is subject to the ingestion of residual urine and feces from mom, and in that manner ingests many of his or her new colon dwelling friends (especially Lactobacillus). A baby born vaginally will establish a full working gut bacteria within 3-4 weeks. A baby born C-sect will take from 6-8 months to establish a similar gut colony, which isn't associated with mom, is gained from secondary interaction with the environment, and leaves the baby more open to infections and future health concerns. Gut bacteria appear to compliment the production of some immune cells, give immune cells a bit of target practice when they wander from the gut, give some immune cells training in enemy identification, and are almost exclusively responsible for production of some items, namely the new iPhones as well as vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting.

I don't see how fish can differ much. Sure, they hatch, but in an embryonic stage they're still surviving off yolk created by mom. I'd imaging putting any fish into long term isolation in an environment rife with antibiotic-like supplements might not kill said fish, but would leave it much more vunerable to disease and death in the future.

I am quite surprised that it hasn't been a forefront of quarantine discussion in the hobby over the last few years.

By the way, the story of your uncle reminded me that George Carlin spoke once about immunity.
Mind you, its not suitable for playing loud at work, or if are offended by cursing (of which there is a lot), or if you don't like George Carlin (who is funny and curses a lot)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMNdiCz_s&list=RDCnmMNdiCz_s#t=0

Paul B

NJRC Member
Mark, Thank you for posting. It boggles my mind how many people don't agree with this and think sterility is the way to go. I hate it when my mind is boggled. I can't even bring it up on some forums. Well, one actually.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
No prob, this intrigues me.

I was, for pleasure, earlier this week, digging through some papers at work regarding demyelinating diseases, which I have to do as if I'm seen reading sci-fi books or popular mechanics it doesn't go over too well.

Later in the evening I was preparing some food for those that live in water and absorb my money. I decided to soak the food in garlic oil, which I do every so often from a large bottle I have, sold to me as an immunity-booster for TTLIWAAMM. I bought it without a second thought as I know garlic to be an immunity booster in many animal types.

Thus begins part 1

So, I began thinking about the gut bacteria discussion and general immunity and where garlic fits in. Tonight I did a general search through Google on garlic and immunity*. Found some basic info on garlic preventing certain types of spontaneous tumors (1), modulating immune response against tumors and pathogens (2), and, most interesting, has been shown to help proliferate general immunity in hens via increasing production of cell eating (phagocytotic) cells (3)).

So, I'm thinking that if human gut bacteria is linked to mice, pigs, hens, monkeys, etc... and their bacteria function is as important to their immunity as a fish's bacteria is to its, then certainly if garlic has effects on these animals it should also have effect on fish.
So I did some searching and found Development of immunity in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Walbaum) to Aeromonas hydrophila after the dietary application of garlic (4).
Take 100 trout, captive raised, and feed them normally (control).
Take 100 trout and feed them normally while supplementing with garlic for 2 weeks.
Introduce a common pathogen (in this case freshwater).
84 of the control die in 14 days.
12 of the garlic fed die in same period.
And what does garlic do? Speculatively, with increasing evidence, enhances immunity through interaction with naturally occurring bacteria (too many references to list at this hour).

Dont know how this fits into your theory, but it may be a part of the puzzle, or at least a segway to something.
Would supplementation of garlic while in an extended quarantine help preserve immuno-response in presence of Prazi or other anti-bacterial?
Would garlic supplementation during a shorter QT be effective if the DT were fed garlic as a regular preventative?
I tried a segway once, fell off twice. My wife was flying around like the Red Baron laughing at me.

Part 2, a personal story and how I relate to fish, much like Patrick Duffy (5)

This may also have connections for you to ponder.
Many years ago I was bitten by a brown recluse spider. Docs at the VA stuck with things that put anti-spider juice put in and I was eventually sent home.
I had to take 10 grams (not milligrams mind you) of various antibiotics a day for 2 weeks. It was like a second breakfast, and not a good hobbit kind. By day 8 I was vomiting anything I took in, including to an extent, water. Within 11 days I had to stop due to my suffering health from the treatment. Still have the foot, so it seems to have worked.
Post treatment I caught every disease or cold within 50 miles for 6 months or so. My beneficial bacteria was wiped. My health suffered drastically. But I was able to supplement and be treated to restore my bacterial count.
Seems fish dont have that restoration option after a long antibiotic bath.

So, thought... Is there an effective feed combination or environmental adaption to restore immunity as fast as possible?
If QTing a fish, instead of an all out assault of killing every biotic on board the throwing them into a new environment perhaps a new approach?
A 2 week period of mild treatment with severe observation followed by 2 weeks of immune strengthening through garlic, possibly live food, or water changes of 50% RODI and 50% water from the tank the fish is to enter?

Like discussions. Hope this continues.

* Google offers an excellent publication resource search at scholar.google.com
(1) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531705800570
(2) http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/1910619
(3) http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/16573275
(4) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1050464811000167
(5) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_from_Atlantis

Last edited:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Mark, this is great, thank you. I was always opposed to the garlic thing but you may be changing my mind. Most people use it to enhance a fishes appetite but I don't know how that works out. Me, being of Italian decent have garlic every day. I never get sick, maybe thats why. :)
I like the idea of the quick quarantine with the garlic. If it works for trout, it should work for copperband butterflies. Eventually I believe our fish should be immune from just about anything as I believe mine are. I have heard the Russian Roulette thing for years but how long does an experiment have to last to be considered true? I can't prove my fish are immune because most of the people on these forums have not been living with me for 40 years so they don't know. I do know that I can put any fish in my reef with any disease (so far) from 6 or 7 LFSs and the ocean. I am sure in all that time, some disease was introduced into my tank, but I have never had a sick fish. I think it is from the live foods I feed, I could be wrong, and if I am, I hope to find out what else it could be.
I just wrote a book on my theories, not just diseases which take up a small portion of the book, but my methods about everything. It is also a history of the hobby and being I got in to it when it came to New York in 1971, it encompass the history of my tank and how I can upon these, not so well known practices. It is called "The Avant Garde Aquarist" a 60 year history. The pre sale is this Monday.
I don't sell it, "Saltwater Smarts" is the publisher. Mark, you may enjoy this article I wrote about this here.
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/marine-fish-heal-through-slime-3962/
Now I am going to read all those links you posted. I am also very interested in demylinization diseases as my wife has MS.
Thank you
Paul

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Interesting slime article, I'm going to do a bit more digging later today on the tecchie side of the immune functions.

Seems we think along the same lines a bit; live food, immunity, supermodels, etc...
I was raising brine for a bit but harvesting them at the right time was a pita and that went astray. Decided to start by feeding the micro population (pods, rots) and began cultivating phytoplankton. Wanted a phyto providing immunity, aminos, and Omega 3s. I had a few discussions with some professional phyto farmers as well as a PhD microbiologist bud (which are not 'everyday' useful but when needed are extremely useful) and we decided on 3 strains to feed all of the micros and many of the corals (an equal live mix of nannochloropsis oculta, chlorella vulgaris, and tetraselmis tetrahele). Its working beautifully, pods up and things just look generally peppier and healthier. I've recently started to sell this stuff but if you PM me your address I'd be happy to send you a bottle at the cost of getting your feedback.

Going to begin looking into the raising of blackworms as well. I was interested in doing so a while back while reading some of your articles, but, as I was killing brine at the time, I never pursued it. Now that the micros and corals in the tank are eating live food it would be nice to get the fish directly on board as well. Going to do a bit of digging on this subject as well today. I have a 5g tank (and 200 other tanks) that needs something to do.

Cheers,
Mark

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK, Mark, thanks for the Carlin link. I remember watching that comedy routine and that's just one of the many topics that made him such a great comic. He's probably my favorite comedian ever because he deals with real issues in a truthful manner and has a "take no crap" attitude about it. The weird thing is that he talked about this years ago and now the medical community is just beginning to realize it's true. RIP Mr. Carlin... You were a genius ahead of your time!

Paul, loved those two articles you wrote. The grammar and spelling were perfect so I had a hard time believing it was you who wrote them at first... until the supermodels were mentioned. Then all doubts were set aside. Besides, they had an undertone of the things you've been saying around here for years so that helped too.

So, in light of everything you guys have brought up in this thread (and other sources you provided) I feel compelled to take more care about what and how often I feed my fish. I've already been on board with the live blackworms suggestion, but I think I'll start adding garlic and whole clams (chopped up of course) to their diet and see if that brings about spawning and helps with slime production.

Anyway, thanks for the great posts here guys!

Paul B

NJRC Member
Paul said:
TanksNStuf. I did write the articles and quite a few others on that site, but one of the owners of the site, Jeff, is a professional editor and he edits what I write because I draw this on a computer screen with a crayon and an out of work Supermodel types it on the screen and then Jeff edits it and makes it readable. He also edited my book so English speaking people can comprehend it. Actually my Daughter is also an editor and she wrote the Foreword for the book. I should have let her write the entire book because she is so good at it.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/relax-have-fun-its-a-hobby-5280/

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think many in this hobby are thinking as we did in the 70s, but I feel we need to advance and progress a bit. We humans try to become immune by being inoculated with weak organisms and it works for us. We are immune from most things. Our ancestors were also immune from most things because they were exposed more to stale food, and dirt. Remember for the first 300,000 years we didn't bathe or wash anything including our food and we got along just fine except for that Saber tooth tiger thing.
Now that civilization here is relatively clean, our immune system is not as strong as it used to be. Even in the last 100 years we have lost some immunity. My own Mother lived to be 99 never being in a hospital or taking an aspirin. As a young girl, when she would get sick, her Mother would make her sleep in the stable with the horses because they thought the smell of horse poop would keep her free of disease. It seems to have worked.
Her brother, my Uncle, also lived into his 90s, never having seen a doctor or dentist (or paid taxes) in his life. Like never. And he was very strong and would have killed you if you looked at him wrong. Those were strong people with a strong immune system. He was even stabbed numerous times and cleaned it with a rag he cleaned eels with. Now that is an immune system. (he worked at the New York City docks and that was one of the toughest places on earth in the 1920s) If any or us did that, we would be dead. I don't advocate living like that, but it shows how our immune system can be if it is exposed to disease organisms and how us modern humans unfortunately lost most of that ability through our hygiene. Now we depend on doctors and medications to keep us healthy because our immune system is not allowed to do the job it was designed for. But we can keep our fish immune without feeling bad that they don't practice the proper hygiene. Their tank is not supposed to be squeaky clean. It may make us feel better but it is bad for the fish who were designed to live in an ocean that has everything in it including Amelia Aerhearts shoes and Columbus underwear. :p
I realize this thinking is backwards from the way we were brought up and I can't help that. I don't like thinking about re cycled Ideas that obviously don't work. I get a lot of flack from my ideas but I feel it is common sense.
I also was always taught to wash my hands before I eat and still do, but just because we were taught that doesn't mean it will help us stay immune from anything.
Doctors are now prescribing much less antibiotics for this very reason, so our own immune system can strengthen itself and help us in the future just as Supermodels sometimes do.