• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acclimating SPS corals

eholceker

NJRC Member
nope. and ive been through a couple salifert ALK kits.
First thing is that salifert test kit is not going to be good long term trying to pinpoint alk consumption. You really need to get an a hanna alk checker. If your lps are growing and your alk is being consumed and should show on the test Second is you need to check the par in your tank. Maybe it's just not enough for Acros. Are you also dipping them in anything before putting them in your tank?

john90009

NJRC Member
Yikes yeah something isn’t right, like Eric asked if you had a dosing unit for your two part. It’s an essential tool even if you don’t have a big uptake yet.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I agree with the others get tested. What sort of RODI system do you have and what maintenance are you doing on that?

I have never light acclimated an Acro. Base up, is usually STN which I'm convinced is bacterial in nature as I've been able to stop it by cutting off the effected area and dipping. If it was alk based we would be losing corals left and right as my tank alkalinity is rarely the same as the persons tank which it came from.

The bad thing about my theory is if it IS bacterial, what do we do with this information? Let me know when you find out

Edit.
More on alk swings. Yes, I check mine every night. Yes I'm mildly obsessive compulsive about preventing drifts. For every guy like me there's two who's tanks swing wildly. I think alk stability is important but I don't think it's the be all end all. I think the swings can "weaken" a coral but not outright kill it.

if I never wash my hands am I more likely to get sick? Yes.
If I never get sick is it because I never wash my hands ? No.

Last edited:

eholceker

NJRC Member
I have never light acclimated an Acro. Base up, is usually STN which I'm convinced is bacterial in nature as I've been able to stop it by cutting off the effected area and dipping. If it was alk based we would be losing corals left and right as my tank alkalinity is rarely the same as the persons tank which it came from.

The bad thing about my theory is if it IS bacterial, what do we do with this information? Let me know when you find out

Edit.
More on alk swings. Yes, I check mine every night. Yes I'm mildly obsessive compulsive about preventing drifts. For every guy like me there's two who's tanks swing wildly. I think alk stability is important but I don't think it's the be all end all. I think the swings can "weaken" a coral but not outright kill it.

if I never wash my hands am I more likely to get sick? Yes.
If I never get sick is it because I never wash my hands ? No.
Alk swings are death to acros. Anyone who tells you different probably hasn't kept them long term.

eholceker

NJRC Member
It’s good to know where your acros were in the previous tank, howling the acros were there for as well. Base to tip tissue burning would happen when I would have calcium or magnesium inaccurate tests. When I get frags I stick it to a rock and it never leaves that rock.
Also may seem like a silly question does the acro have any polyp extension. Even if it's just the slightest bit. Have you examined them good for white/black bugs? Look at that area that I circled. See the bump in the middle. Any chance that is a bug?

Attachments

• A374F423-32DB-41A4-B6A9-91179855F590~2.jpeg
    A374F423-32DB-41A4-B6A9-91179855F590~2.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 12

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
have you tried easier beginner sps like montis, birdsnest, stylos, pocilos? have a run at those and see how they do. then if all goes well, work your way up to the less hardy acros. just my 0.02.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Okay, my ATI ICP test results are in. I am a setback since the results say my ALK is at 7.34 when I always tested 8.5 - 8.3 along with my phosphate at 0.01.
I test alk with salifert
I test phosphate with Hanna.
Have you found varying results like this?
Also showed high zinc
Low iodine and low manganese
Thoughts?

Auswertungsergebnis

eholceker

NJRC Member
Okay, my ATI ICP test results are in. I am a setback since the results say my ALK is at 7.34 when I always tested 8.5 - 8.3 along with my phosphate at 0.01.
I test alk with salifert
I test phosphate with Hanna.
Have you found varying results like this?
Also showed high zinc
Low iodine and low manganese
Thoughts?

Auswertungsergebnis
How high is your zinc? Low manganese is normal. Unless your dosing a chemical that has it in there it will always be undetected. Low iodine is common. The question is how low is it? I am not surprised by the variation in alk. The salifert test is subjective. The hanna alk meter is better for dialing in numbers.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
How high is your zinc? Low manganese is normal. Unless your dosing a chemical that has it in there it will always be undetected. Low iodine is common. The question is how low is it? I am not surprised by the variation in alk. The salifert test is subjective. The hanna alk meter is better for dialing in numbers.
Weird. The link defaulted to “auswertungsergenbis” click that word and it should bring up my results of the ICP.

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Do you have any metal touching the water? Zinc and Tin elevation is somewhat concerning.
I feed with metal forceps just about everyday and they touch the water. The only other thing I can think is the heater. It is coming up on 2 years but looks to be in good condition and operating normally.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I feed with metal forceps just about everyday and they touch the water. The only other thing I can think is the heater. It is coming up on 2 years but looks to be in good condition and operating normally.
You are going to have run some metasorb to pull that zinc out. Then run another ICP and monitor. Elevated zinc can certainly fry some corals.