• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Advice on salinity and testers

I test my salinity with a swing arm. I keep it at 1.025.5. I also own a refractometer, tank water reads 30ppt, calibrated with 35ppt solution. The reason I went back to swing arm was on my previous tank i used the refractometer and I had a mini crash. Lost some sps. I don't know if it was from raising salinity or not. Everything in tank is growing with lots of polyp extension. So my question is, if it's not broke don't fix it and stay with swing arm?
Thanks kurtis

That's about a SG of 1.020. Since NSW is 1.024-1.026, I'd raise it and use the calibrated refractometer to measure it with. Keep in mind that along with a higher SG you will also get more Ca, Mg and Alk, so less dosing would be required.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Good link, I have it bookmarked. So you think I should go with refractometer even if every thing seems to be doing well? Good pe and descent growth. I'm just wondering if I raise I can get better growth?
Thanks
Kurtis

Also if somebody has a reliable refractometer with a thriving sps tank in Camden co area, I would love to check against mine, I could probably hook up with a frag of something.
Thanks
Kurtis

Hands down a properly calibrated refractometer. The swing arm will stiffen over time and a strong tap may be needed. This does not translate to accuracy. Now with a properly calibrated refractometer, light bending in relation to different densities will yield consistent results. I keep my sg at 1.026 and sps, Lps, and fish are all thriving.

I'm in Mt. Laurel, you're welcome to bring a sample here for testing/comparison. Are you using a 35ppt calibration solution? If you're using RO water, it may not be accurate a 35ppt, you should use a solution that will calibrate at the level of the sample you intend to test.

I'm in Mt. Laurel, you're welcome to bring a sample here for testing/comparison. Are you using a 35ppt calibration solution? If you're using RO water, it may not be accurate a 35ppt, you should use a solution that will calibrate at the level of the sample you intend to test.

Thanks for the offer. Yes I'm using 35 calibrating fluid. What's your availability? Rain day for me today
Thanks
Kurtis

I dont trust the refractometer
always needs cleaning recalibrating

I switched over to old school hydrometer and flask

salinity all over the place using refractometer always second guesing testing or matching with someone elses
Pain in the well you know

Went to Jim's (downbeach) checked my water and refractometer, apparently everything looks good ( must be operator error) scored some frags also. Just to say thanks to Jim again for helping me out.
Kurtis

Went to Jim's (downbeach) checked my water and refractometer, apparently everything looks good ( must be operator error) scored some frags also. Just to say thanks to Jim again for helping me out.
Kurtis

You're welcome, it was nice meeting you.