• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

aiptasia

Found my first aiptasia in my tank. I do not have kalk or Joes juice. is there any thing else that i can mix up and nuke it with. it is in a rock crevasse that I can not physically get to to take it out.
Greg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Try nuking some water to get it really hot. Suck it up into a syringe (like the ones in test kits) and then fire it into it's mouth. That usually does the trick.

I have also heard and played with injecting lemon juice with a hypodermic syringe into the anemone.... but it has always had questionable results in my opinion. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I also wouldn't use it in a small system. :-\

If you use a pharmaceutical grade (synthetic) calcium, they are known for "burning" corals and anemones if directly applied (*like, if a clump or chip where to fall on it). Tech CB Part A (or is it B?) is also reported to kill Aiptasia, when directly injected into the anemone.

My manager and I did some experiments with these various home remedies (Tech CB- both parts, lemon juice, hot water), and found that results vary from specimen to specimen and from tank to tank. There is no total promise that any of these techniques are going to work 100% of the time. We found that some anemones were killed, but not all. Larger anemones were definitely stronger and more tenacious than smaller ones. The most effective technique overall from the home-remedies category of our experiments seemed to be using a combination of peppermint shrimp and Joe's Juice (or, in place of Joe's Juice, kalk paste).

Good luck with the hot water!

We were lucky w/our Aptasia problem because they were growing on a pipe in the back of the tank. Couldn't reach them there to try and inject them w/anything. But they got so big we just pulled the pipe and replaced it.

We got a Copperbanded Butterfly and haven't seen any since. *fingers crossed*

Lol. If you've got a good Copperband, then you shouldn't see any ever again. But, every now and again, you can find a Copperband just doesn't seem to have any interest in Aiptasia. It's rare to find a butterfly that won't eat Aiptasia, since most butterflies love 'em!

It's a shame Whitebird can't reach the rock himself and remove it to stick in a tank with a good Racoon Butterfly. :-\

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thoes are NJ wild caught spot fin butterflys in his avatar. Do they chow on the aptasia as well?

saltwater4life said:
i'm going to have to try that hot saltwater would it hurt my zoa???

How close is the anemone to the zoas?If the Aiptasia is right, smack-dab in the middle of the zoa colony, then possibly, if the water is too warm. The further away from the colony, the lower the possibilities of injuring your zoas. Although, zoas are pretty hardy and pretty tolerant. So, at worst, you might lose a couple of polyps near the anemone in question.However, if is a particularly nice colony, I'm sure you'd want to ensure the least amount of stress to your polyps.

....is there a dollar store near you? If so, perhaps you could purchase a funnel and bodger the tip to be wide enough to accomodate the Aiptasia question(without touching it and causing it to close up) to direct the hot water or desired application to just the anemone and minimize the impact on the surrounding corals? Just try to get a funnel with a handle so you can easily hold the funnel, keeping it from touching and bothering your corals.

Just got home, well the aiptasia is still alive!!! I blasted it with a turkey baster with a full cup of microwaved HOT water. NO effect!
Next Nuke Suggestion!

i just tryed this too and i got a few to spit there guts out and i few that arn't moving. hopefully they dont make it :D Whitebird1 what did yours look like when you shot them?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
malulu said:
some time, when i feel lazy, i just use the Epoxy glue to cover it!!
;D

I was thinking the same thing with the Boston Frag Glue. Its purple and looks just like coral line agree.  Perfect for added some purple to a rock that will just not purple up.  Now perfect for killing aiptasia too.  Does anyone know if the glue we ordered is purple?

KalkWasser kills mine

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg, I have some Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime you could borrow. That definitely works, and is really fun to watch too! You're welcome to some if you want it.

been A few hours   the #%&^$ thing looks the same.
The amount of water I hit it with should have cooked a egg,  possible the water in the tank buffered the effects!!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Possibly. I've never used a turkey baster. I usually use a really fine tipped syrine. Maybe the fine tip keeps the hot water concetrated enough to kill them, while the baster dilutes it before it gets to the aptasia? I don't know, all I know is it worked for me a couple of times. Now that I've got the lime I use that whenever one of them pops up.

I put a glob of super glue gel on my finger and smear it on the suckers.  I do the same to any star polyps that get too close to my corals.

Greg

Heres a pic of the measle. where it is at I can not smear anything on it. Auuuuug!
dammit.jpg