• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

aiptasia

JohnS_323 Thanks for the offer I may make the trip to pick it up, Greg, i like the way you think, look forward to meeting you. in the morning THE NEW ATTACK!!!

Hey Greg,
I always hear you talking about Shark River. You from Belmar by any chance? I was born and raised on 16th Ave.

Other Greg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's cool Greg, just let me know if you're heading over.  I'm only about 20 minutes away from you.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Should be clear. The Boston Aqua glue was clear the last time I bought it from them.

GregW said:
I put a glob of super glue gel on my finger and smear it on the suckers.  I do the same to any star polyps that get too close to my corals.

Greg

Yikes - you never got stung doing that? Thought they were supposed to have a pretty nasty bite. My husband got stung by our carpet anemone and had tingling in his fingers for days. (Of course we both keep reaching in there bare handed) Didn't want to go near the Aptasia.

We had a Dispar Anthia go MIA when we went away for Christmas. Not sure if it was the carpet anemone or maybe the Aptasia we had at the time (grew on one of the pipes). One of them had gotten really big and it suddenly looked 1/2 dead, then bounced back bigger and badder. So we were leaning towards the Aptasia. We got the new pipe to get rid of them a week later.

eholceker

NJRC Member
ive never seen an aptasia that can take down a fish. I would put money on the carpet anemone. they are well known fish eaters and are amongst the most stickiest anemones in the ocean. Greg, Try some super buffer DKH or the epoxy as mentioned. If you can get your hands on the pickling lime it is kind of coll to see them disintergrate.

super buffer DKH???
I have Seachem Marine Buffer or seachem Reef Builder

Will they work?

Also about 2 inches away I had about a half dollar size matt of green star polyps attached to a disk by reef glue, the polyp matt is gone off the disk, I do not see it anywhere I look, maybee the hot water made it take off??
AAUUGG!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
eholceker said:
If you can get your hands on the pickling lime it is kind of coll to see them disintergrate.

That's the truth! The gulp, then poof is great.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Greg,
I have used it before at Oceanarium with moderate success. try it but you need to make sure you get the bastard to suck it down. I really think the turkey baster has to wide of an opening.

Whitebird1 said:
super buffer DKH???
I have Seachem Marine Buffer or seachem Reef Builder

Will they work?

Between the two- I know the Marine Buffer should work. Theoretically anything with a pharmaceutical grade calcium in it should burn the flesh with direct application and kill the anemone if eaten.

On the anemone's stinging, individual reactions will vary do to differences in people. Aiptasia, long tentacles, most bubble tips, and sebaes are not as harsh, and most people cite a "sticky" feeling to their sting (I often liken it to the tacky feeling of almost gluing your fingers to something, or a "fleshy-velcro"). However, carpet anemones are known for being quite harsh. My manager was stung by a brown carpet, and it left bad blistering and a red, irritated rash.

G'luck!