• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ALgae problem

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Question... I am getting green dusting of algae on glass and some diatoms on sand. I have no phosphate in my RO DI water (just checked on hanna .02 ppm)

and i use instant ocean and reef crystals mixed in (since i will be switching to Reef crystals once i start adding corals)

I do feed alot of pellets. Can really get algae from pellets 2x day.

My lights are brand new (AQIs)
my display is 120 w\ 30 sump

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
It depends on the fish. Unless you have Anthias or something else that needs to be fed constantly I would only feed once a day at most. Every other is fine most times. Quality pellets are
best but still contain phosphates. Your tank is also new so it is still cycling through silicate and other leftovers from setting up.

need more info..... how old is the tank, sandbed, bio load, light cycle, maintenence regimine...etc

if its a new tank , its a normal occurance ....would guess its your lights, if you just changed them all at the same time and they are on the same cycle as the old ones , that most likely your problem...... just lower the amount of time the lights are on and bring them back up over a few weeks.
and clean the glass with a magfloat on a regular basis. ............ good luck and happy reefing

grink

NJRC Member
Run your skimmer on the wet side for a few days and see what it pulls out. Then cut back to normal and see if that helps.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i will try that for a while... thank you

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Its registering zero... right now.. but i have still have that dusting