• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Alk low

Hi, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. What are the chemical components of the solutions you have added and/or plan to add to change pH and/or alkalinity.

Soda ash and water. It will increase ph but I don't expect it to be that much. I will only dose at night when my ph tends to drop a bit anyway.

Soda ash is sodium carbonate. It's a weak base and will probably not increase your pH much. However, it will help maintain your tank to pH 8 as each carbonate ion can accept/give up 2 protons in solution. That is why when you added it to your tank, your alkalinity (which measures buffering capacity of a solution) went up. So if you're satisfied with pH 8, all you need to do is add more soda ash to bring up the alkalinity to the level you want.

Soda ash is sodium carbonate. It's a weak base and will probably not increase your pH much. However, it will help maintain your tank to pH 8 as each carbonate ion can accept/give up 2 protons in solution. That is why when you added it to your tank, your alkalinity (which measures buffering capacity of a solution) went up. So if you're satisfied with pH 8, all you need to do is add more soda ash to bring up the alkalinity to the level you want.

Got cha.
Now my goal is to eventually add Kalk to top-off. If I understand it right, once I get my lvls in the area I would like them I can start the Kalk. That should help to maintain the lvls. Correct?

Yes, what you're planning is fine. But remember that kalkwasser is a strong base and will increase your pH above 8, so be careful how much you dose. Also, you probably still need to add the soda ash. Corals will use the carbonate to build their skeletons.

Well I decided to dose 2 part and stay away from Kalk. I picked up the Red Sea test and last night I came up with 6.4dkh. That was after soaring Alk to bring it up. I'll add though that I'm still trying to master this test so my number may be slightly off if at all.

grink

NJRC Member
I keep my closer to 7 because I am dosing with ZEO.
I use Hanna checkers to test parameters.

I keep my closer to 7 because I am dosing with ZEO.
I use Hanna checkers to test parameters.

How is the hanna checker for Alk. I read some time back that there were issues with it. What is your opinion. I have the phosphate test and like it very much.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have the Hanna Alk and i like it.. its very consistent. But, it also matches the API one I compare it again. So for the money its API....

simplicity its Hanna (i hate counting drops!!!!)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hannah Alk also matched up within margin of error for our salifert Alk. It is the calcium one that is really tough to get an accurate reading from.