• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Amphipods and Copepods from Aquarium Depot

Salted

NJRC Member
Yeah, the pods they sell are super huge and the bags are packed. Never seen better amphipods. Will definitely order again in the future and hopefully get more members involved.
Those would probably be too big for my mandarin to eat. So general question for you guys, are those big ones breeding adults? From my perspective that could be good. If the mandarin couldn’t eat the adults they’d stay around to make lots of babies that it could eat, giving me the self sustaining population I’m looking to establish. I’m going to have to research their breeding and life cycle. It would be great to dump like 4,000 in my tank and sump and never have to get them again.

Yeah, typically the mandarins won’t eat the really big ones but the other fish can. And the big ones will reproduce, giving you smaller ones that the mandarin can definitely eat. Getting the wild mandarins to eat amphipods is one of the ways people start to expand their diet and get them transitioned to other foods.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I placed an order with Aquarium Depot Sept 3, ships Sept 4 at night and arrives on Sept 9! Two bags dead. I took the package from USPS mailman and opened it right away. Then emailed AD with a time stamp of my USPS delivery confirm email. I sent a second notification of dead pods and still no response from AD. I will not buy from them again

EDIT: to add photo. Note the stinky brown water in the bag.

Attachments

• 202B0008-0C98-41E0-8C75-0C5C51FD2691.jpeg
    202B0008-0C98-41E0-8C75-0C5C51FD2691.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 75788531-9233-4F0D-B943-7AB18F38654D.jpeg
    75788531-9233-4F0D-B943-7AB18F38654D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Agree with Diana. Hit or miss. I had a couple good orders then received an order that was practically empty, maybe 30 live pods, if that. No reply from customer service so I opened a PayPal dispute which they fought and won. So I ended up with pods that cost about $2.50 each.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So aquarium depot send out to me 2 bags of pods to replace the sept delivery of dead ones. Well they arrived dead today. Knew they were dead before I even opened the box. The stench was evident before I unsealed the box!

Attachments

• 96614004-D7C0-48E6-8A8B-F4B6C225DB49.jpeg
    96614004-D7C0-48E6-8A8B-F4B6C225DB49.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Wtf!! That's completely unacceptable!!