• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ANNOUNCEMENT, THOUGHTS - New 3d forum and member service

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, here’s an offer to the club that other clubs might salivate at.
As we now have 3 extremely good looking, sexy, witty members who own 3d printers, we’ve had a chat amongst ourselves regarding a new option for club members.
With 3d printing comes a huge opening for creativity in tanks, from printing overflows, to fish/anem guards, to mounting brackets, to well, whatever you might need.

Here’s how this might work….

A forum would be created, say, ‘3d Printed Parts and Requests’.

The forum would be moderated by the standard group of mods as well as anyone signed up as a provider (willing to make things for the club)

The member requesting a part would do their own research on the net to find info on the piece they need printed.

The member would open a new thread in the forum. No need to get creative, just name the thread the piece that you want (e.g. Nem Guard MP40).

In the thread, post any link you have found regarding the piece you want.

A 3d moderator will acknowledge your post. This lets both you and other 3d mods know that one of us has picked up the job.

The 3d mod will research your link. They may look for more viable options. They will post the cost to build the item. This cost will be minimal. It will be the cost of the filament used (usually under $1), plus the cost of time on the machine (tbd), plus cost of shipping.
Note that something like a pair of MP40 guards would cost you somewhere around the area of $6, plus shipping. A new nano overflow box maybe $5 plus shipping.

If you agree to the job, Paypal the money to the address provided via PM. Print will be completed and mailed out next day air or parcel for delivery within a week.

Misc...

We will provide a number of links in a stickie for popular builds, as well as links to a number of sites you can find some parts and ideas on.

We’re fantastic at printing established parts, but are all quite new at building parts from scratch. Scratch building will not be initially offered, but may become available based on our experience.

This will be a NJRC member service only.

So, what do you guys and gals think?

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
when my tank finally arrives, who wants to make me a DELS REEF in BIG blue letters !! :)

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks in advance to the folks owning the printers and willing to do the work. Really good stuff.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
We're evolving as we go.
The standard PLA filament, which is great outside water, is questionable in salt water. Though it is cornstarch based, it does degrade, and depending on the quality, may contain 'unlisted' ingredients. I have this in my own tank, but...
We're looking into more reef-safe options, which involve different materials and some minor machine modifications.
Needless to say, our increased costs will be passed on to you octofold!
No, not really.

We're figuring out how to get our rigs as reef safe as possible. The most intelligent of us already has a handle on this, and we're going to be harassing him for info on how to modify our systems over the next few weeks.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
We're evolving as we go.
The standard PLA filament, which is great outside water, is questionable in salt water. Though it is cornstarch based, it does degrade, and depending on the quality, may contain 'unlisted' ingredients. I have this in my own tank, but...
We're looking into more reef-safe options, which involve different materials and some minor machine modifications.
Needless to say, our increased costs will be passed on to you octofold!
No, not really.

We're figuring out how to get our rigs as reef safe as possible. The most intelligent of us already has a handle on this, and we're going to be harassing him for info on how to modify our systems over the next few weeks.

I feel bad for Matt with all the texts and phone calls.

This is a great idea! I've been following consumer 3D printers for a long time this might be the push I need to buy one! A big limiting factor for me was how often I would actually use it!

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Can we have maybe a small trinket made for new club members? Something small like a Keychain or something

Reactions: DEL