• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any Structural engineers on here

Have to move the location of my tank and would like to hear from someone else that my floor will hold. Now I'm sure it would 2x8... 16" on center and up against a load bearing wall but would like to here it from a Professional
Thanks everyone

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dan, I will tell you that it is not a simple calculation of knowing that you have 2x8 joists 16 inches on center. You either have to wing it (like most of us have done), add additional bracing (typically overkill), or get a structural engineer in there to do the necessary calculations.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
+1 on overkill . 2 @4 x 6 as a jack stud with a microlamb plate across 2 x 8 floor beam

+1 on overkill as well but unless you are putting in a monster 8 foot tank I'm sure you will be fine

look on engineergtoolbox.com or awc.com floor joist span I would just copy and paste the link but nj reefers doesn't let me paste of post links for some reason

live load 40lb pr sq ft rating for 2by8 16center

3by3 tank is 9sq foot 90gal = 747lbs

747/9=83lbs pr sqft.

like the posts say use a micolam with floorjacks to support the tank. its not overkill if your tank is more then load rating for your floor. also have to keep in mind when your near tank now lbs pr sq ft went up more.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
look on engineergtoolbox.com or awc.com floor joist span I would just copy and paste the link but nj reefers doesn't let me paste of post links for some reason

live load 40lb pr sq ft rating for 2by8 16center

3by3 tank is 9sq foot 90gal = 747lbs

747/9=83lbs pr sqft.

like the posts say use a micolam with floorjacks to support the tank. its not overkill if your tank is more then load rating for your floor. also have to keep in mind when your near tank now lbs pr sq ft went up more.

This is the general simplistic rule of load......40 lbs live, 10 lbs dead...on a 16" OC floor. And by the way, the tank would be considered dead weight. This general rule doesn't take into account the type of wood the joists are made of, the type and amount of sheathing, the span, etc. I only wish it was that simple.

yes the awc does change the load on what type of wood is used. yes is "dead load" but when you take out water/ work around tank. the load is now "live" there is movement in load being transferred into the beam. (floor bouncing) I never said this is 100% rite without seeing how his home is built. he did say its up on a load wall. not in the middle of a span .most stick built homes are southern pine

Last edited:
By definition the aquarium is still considered a live load by code. It was never considered in the dead load of the house when it was built.

I do know some structural engineers if you would like someone to look at it, not sure they would visit for free though. There are lots of ways you can build your stand as well to ease loading, and you said you are on a load bearing wall so that is helpful.

Structural calculations are far from straightforward by any means.

I added additional bracing to my house when it was being built and we doubled up on the I-Joists in the room the tank will be in but I was still nervous about it. I hired a structural engineer to come out and look at it when it was done and he said that since the tank was going on a load bearing wall and sitting across multiple joists, I could put two tanks in that room and not have any problems (not something you should say to a reefer :) ) but even with that I am still nervous and I will add some piers in my crawl space with either an lvl or a couple of 2x8's for additional peace of mind. In the end it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars for the additional support. Will it be overkill...definitely but I will sleep better knowing its there. So, I think when in doubt....add additional support.

Dan, I will tell you that it is not a simple calculation of knowing that you have 2x8 joists 16 inches on center. You either have to wing it (like most of us have done), add additional bracing (typically overkill), or get a structural engineer in there to do the necessary calculations.

Thanks Paul I was just going to wing it but I started thinking of the amount of damage that will happen so I think my best bet is to call a professinal

I added additional bracing to my house when it was being built and we doubled up on the I-Joists in the room the tank will be in but I was still nervous about it. I hired a structural engineer to come out and look at it when it was done and he said that since the tank was going on a load bearing wall and sitting across multiple joists, I could put two tanks in that room and not have any problems (not something you should say to a reefer :) ) but even with that I am still nervous and I will add some piers in my crawl space with either an lvl or a couple of 2x8's for additional peace of mind. In the end it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars for the additional support. Will it be overkill...definitely but I will sleep better knowing its there. So, I think when in doubt....add additional support.

Steve you are part of the reason I questioned my floor I saw your post on RC and the fact that the builder wanted you to sign a waver that's a little Scary

Nj lunatic
I do know some structural engineers if you would like someone to look at it, not sure they would visit for free though. There are lots of ways you can build your stand as well to ease loading, and you said you are on a load bearing wall so that is helpful.

If you could maybe shoot me a pm with a couple names that would be great I know time is money

Thank you everyone that posted I'm going to post some pics give you guys an idea

Ok I promise my basement is not creepy here are some pics of the load bearing wall as you will see my tank will be right above this right in between the 2 columns what you guys think

Let me know if you need more info

Dan, is that joist in the second picture cracking horizontally? If so that needs to be addressed first, that takes a lot of strength out of that joist.

I wouldn't trust that one bit. that's is just a pancake of 3 2 by12 with prob 10,000 nails in it. plus that is the load wall that looks that its in the middle of your home from the pic .also those look like 2by10 not 2by8 floor joist but as normal what do I know I only build foundations.

Last edited:
Steve you are part of the reason I questioned my floor I saw your post on RC and the fact that the builder wanted you to sign a waver that's a little Scary

Yeah I was a little freaked out when they asked me to do that. Their legal people were concerned about the unknowns like what if I move the tank or add another tank to the room. After speaking with them yesterday they told me they have never dealt with bracing for a fish tank before. They usually do bracing for gun safes and pianos so this was new territory for them. They finaly came up with the max load capacity of 6,000lbs which is more than enough for what I need but I am still going to add some additional bracing in the crawl space. I will pour 3 or 4 footings and use these jack posts with a 14' long, 12" wide parallam that was "laying" next to the dumpster that is on the lot next to my where a new home is being built. Is it overkill...totally but it will help me sleep at night.

Here are the jack posts that I am going to get.....

http://www.tigerbrandjackpost.com/

You can get them at home depot.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
thanks George! New tank is being shipped on friday so I need to get this done and needs to get done before it gets hotter down here!
Quit bragging about you're nice weather. :p
Seriously though, glad you're finally getting back in the hobby soon.

Well Steve,
I chickened out I got a couple pm's from a couple people and it was $850 to $1000 for me to have someone stop by and say yes or no. I know there is a lot more then that and a lot of time to figure it out but that was just to much for me plus I still would have to spend $$ on supporting the floor.
I still was able to run my sump in the basement I just had to do it from another part of the house. My house had an addition put on before I moved in and they poured a slab so now my tank it's laying on 4in- 6in of concrete so I feel a lot better now. I had to run some extra plumbing and use a different pump but I don't have to worry about my tank falling through my floor......
Thank you everyone that posted very helpful what a great club we have here