• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Anyone want their own LFS?

Salted

NJRC Member
It's not on their site yet, but I got an email today from Salgado that the NY store is for sale as the current owners are relocating to Dallas, Tx. They Are asking $40k.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It's not on their site yet, but I got an email today from Salgado that the NY store is for sale as the current owners are relocating to Dallas, Tx. They Are asking $40k.

I am sad to see them go. The owners are good people.

That sucks. They're the only place around us that had really affordable fish

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
yup. got the email too. too bad it's too far from me. hehehe

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I don’t see why anyone would buy a retail fish store.
If you take 40k and put it in a basement/garage/shed fish room and grow frags at home and sell them online with very little over head.

The margins in salt water are not good match with the rising cost of retail space. You will get a better return on your 40k
Investment if you sell coffee. Having a cost of almost .50 a cup of coffee and then selling that cup for $4. Lol those are good margin. And to top it off coffee is shelf stable so it’s not going to die on you. Lol

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Send them an email. They said “or best offer”.

Hard to make that happen with the cost of living in this state. We plan to downsize and move to south Jersey next spring. I’m gonna come down and gawk at all the cool tanks down there.
I squeezed an 80g in our 800sq ft retirement condo.

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm very saddened by this move. They had the healthiest and least expensive fish around. I don't think anyone purchasing the business will make a go of it - Juan and Cynthia both worked too hard making it all happen. (I also think there were a few things left out of the offer.) I will miss them...

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
After careful consideration to all potential buyers, we decided that we will keep SALGADO AQUATICS-NY open. We have hired staff to work at the store and continue to supply our locals with all of their aquarium needs. This will no longer be our shipping store.

We want to thank all of those who were interested. We also want to thank our loyal customers for all of their kind words.

SALGADO AQUATICS- DALLAS will open in 2-4 weeks. Shipping operations will resume at this location. Address and contact info will be sent out soon.

In the mean time, feel free to shop at our New York store for great prices and healthy stock. (Hours will be updated on google)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I hate to say this. But Salgado is juan. If you take juan out of the equation you have nothing. Employees won’t care for corals/fish the same way.

I wish them luck

radiata

NJRC Member
I hate to say this. But Salgado is juan. If you take juan out of the equation you have nothing. Employees won’t care for corals/fish the same way.

I wish them luck

I'm afraid you might be right. I'd sure hate to see Juan's quarantine procedures changed in any way. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that their quarantine processes have been taking place in the basement of his home in Yonkers, where they once did business from. I can't imagine that their current storefront is large enough to hold a decent shipment of fish in quarantine for two weeks while simultaneously running a retail operation. I too wish them luck...

I'm afraid you might be right. I'd sure hate to see Juan's quarantine procedures changed in any way. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that their quarantine processes have been taking place in the basement of his home in Yonkers, where they once did business from. I can't imagine that their current storefront is large enough to hold a decent shipment of fish in quarantine for two weeks while simultaneously running a retail operation. I too wish them luck...
From the last time I spoke with him, the fish in the store are all at therapeutic copper power levels except for maybe the Anthias and other super sensitive fish. They start the process for you but it's by no means done and you should definitely qt once you get them and finish treating them yourself. (Same as buying from other stores that start the qt process like Reefco and ACC)

radiata

NJRC Member
From the last time I spoke with him, the fish in the store are all at therapeutic copper power levels except for maybe the Anthias and other super sensitive fish. They start the process for you but it's by no means done and you should definitely qt once you get them and finish treating them yourself. (Same as buying from other stores that start the qt process like Reefco and ACC)

How long do both Reefco and ACC quarantine and medicate their fish for? And, are they quarantined in systems completely separate from their retail tanks? If Salgado's were to drop out of the retail picture for me, I'd have to choose TSM as my preferred retail fish vendor. I almost went for a $100 large (but obviously not CB) Mandarin they had quarantined (but probably not medicated) and had eating frozen food. I just wasn't quick enough pulling the trigger...

I just had a VERY, VERY, VERY weird idea. If we (NJRC) wanted to increase our stature and presence as an organization, maybe we should AUDIT all the LFSs in NJ (and surrounding areas?) for their claimed quarantine & medication practices when bringing in new fish. They'd have to let us watch them bring in a shipment, validate their claimed procedures, verify any claimed quarantine duration, and maybe even report on fish mortalities, yada, yada. Would our LFSs allow this? I think so - would any of them like to appear on our monthly audit report as "REFUSED an NJRC Audit Offer". We would not be reporting on differences from some idealistic quarantine & medication standard - we'd just be reporting on their claimed procedure and whether or not they actually adhered to them!

I'm an old timer in our hobby, and was very active in the Windows to the Sea MAS which was located here in NJ. (We did MACNA3 if you go back that far.) Looking back, I have to wonder if we could have made a difference in the hobby if a reasonably valid cyanide testing kit had been available at the time and we applied an audit procedure similar to the above to fish brought in by our LFSs.

My bottle of 2018 Château Féret-Lambert Grand Vin de Bordeaux is now empty, and I need to be wrap up this post. Anybody have any interest in implementing the above audits? Buy me a nice bottle of a French Bordeaux or a Tuscan Red and I might even be amenable to "leading the charge"...