• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apex Info

I recently picked up an Apex 3 and Trident. I've done many searches and seem to find limited info on configuration suggestions. For example, I would like to get some ideas on ATO. Can someone please recommend a good resource so I can get some ideas? I believe I have watched all of Apex and BRS so far.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
If you want to setup a ATO the tunze is the way to go.
The tunze is a stand alone ATO and it works without any problems.

if you want to stay in the Apex bubble. You can setup a water level sensor and set it up with a pmup and you can set it up to work like a ATO . You can use the task manager in apex to set it up.

If you want to setup a ATO the tunze is the way to go.
The tunze is a stand alone ATO and it works without any problems.

if you want to stay in the Apex bubble. You can setup a water level sensor and set it up with a pmup and you can set it up to work like a ATO . You can use the task manager in apex to set it up.
+1 to tunze. The only problem I have ever had was when my kalk was creating a film on the optical sensor. I think these are both pretty strong options. My biggest concern would be that apex can fail and will be a single catastrophic failure if the head unit goes at an inopportune time.

+1 to tunze. The only problem I have ever had was when my kalk was creating a film on the optical sensor. I think these are both pretty strong options. My biggest concern would be that apex can fail and will be a single catastrophic failure if the head unit goes at an inopportune time.
I'm adamantly anti apex for that very reason

NanoJoe

NJRC Member
Im on team tunze as well. They are straightforward and easy to setup.

Nothing but troubles with the neptune ATO and ive worked with a few now.

If you need apex help, feel free to PM me. I set many up and have worked with them on client tanks.
Contacting neptune themselves will help but dear god do they take forever to respond. I sat on hold for 45 minutes just to have an answering machine tell me to email them to submit a ticket and then I'd wait a day or two to hear a response.

Salted

NJRC Member
+1 to tunze. The only problem I have ever had was when my kalk was creating a film on the optical sensor.
I had the same issue. I realized what was happening and started cleaning the sensor every week. Got tired of that and stopped using kalk. I tried to give away a mostly full bottle and no one wanted it.

I had the same issue. I realized what was happening and started cleaning the sensor every week. Got tired of that and stopped using kalk. I tried to give away a mostly full bottle and no one wanted it.
I changed this by feeding kalk into my center chamber of my sump instead of the return chamber. Havent had a problem since.

I thought the point of the Apex was to centralize everything but it sounds like the majority recommends the ATO should be separate. Is there a way to use a stand alone but still tie it into the leak alarm so it shuts down if needed?

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
I thought the point of the Apex was to centralize everything but it sounds like the majority recommends the ATO should be separate. Is there a way to use a stand alone but still tie it into the leak alarm so it shuts down if needed?

The leak alarm triggers the outlet the ato is plugged into to turn off

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In our Hobby having a single point of failure is a horrible idea. So I run a couple of apex on my system. I learned right away when I got the apex 2016. I setup that system with Neptune apex return pumps. I also setup some wav pumps in my tank. The apex also controled my kessill lights and my ATO.
when my head unit went bad I lost everything Neptune wasn’t able to get me a new head unit for a weeek. So I had to go to my lfs and purchase a separate ATO, I ordered some wave makers from Amazon got it nex day. I also let kessil controller control my lights. I have ink bird control my heaters I use the trident but I don’t trust it.

so my iPhone is a single point of failure. Everything in my life runs out of my phone.
my work as a real estate agent I open doors with my iphone. I also use my iPhone for my banking. I open and close doors to my car and my home. I even monitor my blood sugar ( I am diabetic) and my heart rate with my iPhone. why do I do this…. because Apple is a great company if Iose my phone or it brakes I can get a new one in a few hours. if nuptune apex was a great company they would have replacement units at local LFS that you can go to and get a new head unit right away. So that you don’t lose $$$$$ in corals and fish.

erics210

NJRC Member
Apex **** down on guy near me last week. Just when I was hung go on setting the one up I have.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I have the new autoaqua smart ato/awc. The first one I had worked great until the touch screen crapped out, bought the new one hoping it was just as good. Nope, was over filling my sump on ato. Junk. Manufacturer won’t help either.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I want to be clear. There is no way I would have a reef tank without a controller.
Neptune apex system is not perfect but I can’t imagine not using it.

it bad saved my system a few times. I just believe you need to “ Trust but Verify” what apex says

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I want to be clear. There is no way I would have a reef tank without a controller.
Neptune apex system is not perfect but I can’t imagine not using it.

it bad saved my system a few times. I just believe you need to “ Trust but Verify” what apex says
2nd this. I have to use the optical sensor on my apex to turn off an outlet so the autoaqua doesn’t overfill on the ato.