• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquaculture Group

I'm wondering if there are any groups or members within NJRC that aquaculture specific species of corals with the intention of distributing to other members and form our own co-op? I used to be a lot more active on NJRC during my college years and have many good experiences from here.

I'm trying to do this from a conservation standpoint rather than monetary. I have extensive experience with aquaculture as I ran the aquaculture lab at Rutgers and have successfully cultivated many species at the research level. I currently also have an entire basement dedicated to fish/corals and want to do something good for the world and the hobby.

Is there anyone else out there doing the same things? Maybe we can link up.

Where are you located? Although covid put a major speed bump in my plans, I still hope to set up some type of "research" program for kids. Would be interested to hear your ideas.

I actually did something very similar during my time at Rutgers. We had class tours into the aquaculture facility and kids love seeing aquariums and all the critters.

Where are you planning to set this up? I live in Hackettstown NJ.

Salted

NJRC Member
I actually did something very similar during my time at Rutgers. We had class tours into the aquaculture facility and kids love seeing aquariums and all the critters.

Where are you planning to set this up? I live in Hackettstown NJ.
Hey, another kinda local - I'm in Denville. Trying to keep a mental list together of who's close by as I'd like to have a little meet up at my place.

I've been to Denville a lot. Is there a LFS nearby us?
I go to SomethingFishy in PA alot about a 40 minute ride from my house. Your welcome to tag along sometime if you want. There is also a new store open right on Rt. 57 in Washington next to the DMV. They have only been open a few months and only have fresh water tanks up and runnin so far. However they are in the process of cycling their saltwater tanks and do have some dry goods for reef keeping. Store is called Exotic Aquatics Rt 57. West.

There use to be a guy right on Main St. in Hacketstown that had a saltwater store. Havn't stopped been there in probably 10 years, Is he still there?

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Sounds like a neat idea. I had 40ish different corals fragged up for the club member sale I posted a couple weeks ago. I have others that weren’t available for the sale. I’d be happy to trade one for one for corals I don’t have.

I go to SomethingFishy in PA alot about a 40 minute ride from my house. Your welcome to tag along sometime if you want. There is also a new store open right on Rt. 57 in Washington next to the DMV. They have only been open a few months and only have fresh water tanks up and runnin so far. However they are in the process of cycling their saltwater tanks and do have some dry goods for reef keeping. Store is called Exotic Aquatics Rt 57. West.

There use to be a guy right on Main St. in Hacketstown that had a saltwater store. Havn't stopped been there in probably 10 years, Is he still there?
I don't think that store is still here. I moved in 2017 and didn't see any on main st. We should make plans to meet at Exotic Aquatics sometime. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like a neat idea. I had 40ish different corals fragged up for the club member sale I posted a couple weeks ago. I have others that weren’t available for the sale. I’d be happy to trade one for one for corals I don’t have.
I'm still trying to grow out corals - don't have any to trade, but I'm all down for building out a group. Hopefully we can get to a point of removing certain species from being caught in the wild, similar to clownfish. I'm already working on freshwater breeding which is what most of my fish room is.