• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquarium Center - Blackwood

Did anyone know of the problems that started May 9th? I just watched a report on the news about someone pouring mercury in one of Dominick's tanks. Evidently, the store has been closed for the past week, and has to start a hazmat clean up.

falconut

NJRC Member
I just saw that on the news. I knew they closed suddenly & was wondering why a month before the move. Guess we know why now. Sounds like somebody dumped it in. They had cameras, so hopefully they find out who.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Wow that's terrible. Hope they catch whoever did it. Any idea how they figured out it was Mercury? Was this before or after their move?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The article says it was before the move, it was in that tanks and spread when the crew was cleaning them

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Wonder if insurance covers this?

I am not a commercial lines expert but if it was deemed as a vandalism it might - however, i am not sure if the contaminant clean up would be covered. He might get some money since his business was forced to closed though.

Something like this happened to another LFS on Rt. 70 near Rt. 73, In Living Color was the name IIRC, although it was bleach. I believe it was the owner who sabotaged his own store for the insurance.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Something like this happened to another LFS on Rt. 70 near Rt. 73, In Living Color was the name IIRC, although it was bleach. I believe it was the owner who sabotaged his own store for the insurance.
Pretty sure he staged a breakin and put detergent in the tanks and smashed a few of them too.

Shame... mercury isn't something to mess around with and difficult to cleanup.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk