• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

Tanks seems to be getting better but lost alot of expensive frags including all of those 4 higher end acros. They just bleached and stn on me.

I know i transfered the problem to my QT by using main display water to add nutrients to the frag tank. Noticed issues soon after

Finally got around to making more fish food. I probably trashed 10 lbs of frozen food that was soaked in garlic. Now ill just make smaller batches. Seafood meadly seems pretty good since it has a mixture of seafood including octopus, mussels etc. I used alot of tilapia this time

Attachments

• 20221018_170319.jpg
    20221018_170319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221018_170324.jpg
    20221018_170324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I have to make some plumbing modifications and 1.5" unions are pricy now.
Anyone have a good trick to remove and reuse all these fittings? I have a rotary bit and wondering if i could cut them out or boil them. I never used primer on these joints

Attachments

• 20221019_150947.jpg
    20221019_150947.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Jamie S

NJRC Member
I have to make some plumbing modifications and 1.5" unions are pricy now.
Anyone have a good trick to remove and reuse all these fittings? I have a rotary bit and wondering if i could cut them out or boil them. I never used primer on these joints
You can get a pvc cutter and cut them then use a coupling when you install them later. A rotary bit could work as well if you don’t have a cutter or don’t want to buy one.

Removed UV for 2 weeks and too my suprise the fish didnt get any ich. I decided the jebao UV had worked for 4 years and when i smelled burning didnt want to take the chance

Attachments

• 20221026_112248.jpg
    20221026_112248.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I cant attach full shot but tapped into my closed loop. I have option to move the UV to basement easily since its anchored to a board.

Attachments

• 20221026_101302.jpg
    20221026_101302.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221026_112248.jpg
    20221026_112248.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
I want to get cabinentry done around my tank but the look im going for is always outside my budget or skill level. I want a wirebrushed white oak stand and canopy with a 4" butcher block of marble(porceilin slab)

So its been 1 month since i stopped feeding garlic. I have not done any water changes. I did clean the return pump, skimmer, removed locline on my return that increased sump turnover, added a large bag of chemipure blue, added 2nd MP60, removed seasweep, added a new UV (icecap 40w), increased all pump powe, powerwashed the inside and removed detrius, turned red channels to 0% and brightness to 25%.

Im not sure this shows in picture but tank clarity is amazing. I think if it gets more clear id prob lose my mind too joy. The 2 zoas i left in the tank started recovering and opening

Attachments

• 20221031_224201.jpg
    20221031_224201.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Tanks completely free of algae. Now i have another problem - making sure my inverts dont starve to death. I bumped up the lighting spectrum and intensity. These big snails and urchins need a good amount of algae so may have to move them to the sump where i can easily feed them algae sheets

Attachments

• 20221104_213832.jpg
    20221104_213832.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Woke up to lost power. And my ecotech battery back ups not working
The area i am in seems to always have power outages and it creates a great deal of panic for me. I think a generac is only thing that would make my animals safe

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ashish I had a Generac installed. My area always goes out. It was out last Wednesday for 6 hours. There is a 90% likely hood mine will go out on any windy day. Too many tree branches over powerlines.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Ecotech battery pack is a joke for the amount of power it provides and super expensive. Lead acid batteries have maybe a 3 year life so the battery probably already dead.

I had a Honda 2000 watts it worked great and sips gas. Should be enough to power your tank forever. For emergency power a generator is your best bet. Other than a generator Lookup lithium battery backups probably your best bet. You can use solar to keep the battery charged and Lithium batteries will last a very very long time.

Tank as of lasf
Ashish I had a Generac installed. My area always goes out. It was out last Wednesday for 6 hours. There is a 90% likely hood mine will go out on any windy day. Too many tree branches over powerlines.
Yeah I had about 3 power outages since I've been here and constantly worried about it, our grid is pretty weak!

Ecotech battery pack is a joke for the amount of power it provides and super expensive. Lead acid batteries have maybe a 3 year life so the battery probably already dead.

I had a Honda 2000 watts it worked great and sips gas. Should be enough to power your tank forever. For emergency power a generator is your best bet. Other than a generator Lookup lithium battery backups probably your best bet. You can use solar to keep the battery charged and Lithium batteries will last a very very long time.
I cant bad mouth the ecotech battery back up since in 5 years Its probably saved me on 3 different times. I tested it after I got power back and of course the battery backup is working now - Maybe lose wire or something?

If i get a stand alone generated I would probably need an electrician to come and put a switch outside that connects to the 2 circuits the tank is running on, this way I don't have to run extension cords all over the place.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Ecotech battery is 18ah lead acid. It will run for a few hours depending what you have it hooked up to. So extended power outage you better off with a generator.

Yikes. Phosphates out of control.

I am considering liquid phosban. Never used GFO and prefer not to have too. I know my rock is for leaching PO bc It was high before adding fish. I have been overfeeding and my fish are happy and less aggressive. Gonna have to cutt back. I have 2 days of high light output to get some algae growth b4 all my inverts starve.

Two little fishes says a 500ml bottle of liquid phosban would reduce phospates in 6000 gallon by 1ppm. Maybe worth a try but want to get my phosphates down and then assume that in time my corals and cheato will consume most of the PO

Attachments

• 20221106_235203.jpg
    20221106_235203.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1