• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Attention generator owners!!

NOW is the time to test your equipment -- not when the power goes out! I just fired up my generator and gas sprayed everywhere! It would have been a very bad thing to see at 2AM in the dark.
After some messing around I figured out it was a stuck carburetor float. Thankfully it was cured by a few taps on the carb with a small hammer, and now it's running fine. But it took a while.

Seriously -- fire that baby up now, it's better to know!

Good thing you only needed a small hammer!

That leaves the BIG hammer for realy big problems!!! :encouragement:

You probably don't have a hammer like this...it's a ball peen hammer with a head about 2" long. I've never used it for anything--this was it's moment to shine!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One of those.... " I know I'll need this for something one day " items huh?

Very sound advise though. Better to be safe than sorry.

You were right Jim took mine out today and it would not start but after 15 min of work it is running now, there is nothing like waiting till last minute.

i couldn't hear myself think after turning it on. Holy cow it is loud...like NY subway when all the trains are blowing by in TimesSquare loud.

Ironically enough after I turned it on and let it run for a bit, I then realized I had no idea how to turn it off... (few mins later found the "off' button).

fisheye

NJRC Member
How long will it run on a tank of gasoline (about 3 gallons)? It is a 7 HP craftman. I should get some more.

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
You should also change the oil especially if you ran it before. Most take straight 30 weight

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

i couldn't hear myself think after turning it on. Holy cow it is loud...like NY subway when all the trains are blowing by in TimesSquare loud.

Ironically enough after I turned it on and let it run for a bit, I then realized I had no idea how to turn it off... (few mins later found the "off' button).

This is one major reason I purchased a Honda. It's very quiet.

I know there is mixed opinions on this, but be careful running sensitive electronics off contractor generators, the power produce is not clean, I think it's the sine waves(?) and potentially damaging to circuit boards. I'm sure Oliver can chime in here, with his opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
I was told always use a surge protector as the helps clean up the electricity

I was told always use a surge protector as the helps clean up the electricity

Not sure, but it can't hurt. Surge protectors don't clean the power, only limit the peaks. Damage also occurs if there is a lack of power. I would use a UPS if available.

This is one major reason I purchased a Honda. It's very quiet.

Yep I looked into that - we have a honda powersports store in our town. 2g's was a little much for me though. Both my neighbors have generators and they are not Hondas...between the 3 of us we'll just be noise makers...:p

How long will it run on a tank of gasoline (about 3 gallons)? It is a 7 HP craftman. I should get some more.

is this the 3600 watt one? i looked it up and it says:

Runs up to 12 hours at 1/2 load on one tank of fuel.

I saw a review that said it burns 1/2 gallon per hr, I assume this is at full load.

fisheye

NJRC Member
is this the 3600 watt one? i looked it up and it says:

Runs up to 12 hours at 1/2 load on one tank of fuel.

I saw a review that said it burns 1/2 gallon per hr, I assume this is at full load.

That is good to know. Thank. :D

Changed the oil on mine today...it was pretty nasty....but easier to do than I thought it would be, the drain plug was right on the front.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, I really like that little storage shed for the generator….I can do that. But for now, my generator sits out on my screen enclosed porch under a piece of plastic….and I just took this picture, and it is windy outside. It's coming!

GeneratorUnderPlastic.jpg