• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back in the Water, Powder's tank tale

malulu

NJRC Member
you can try the "macro rocks" - i heard a lots of members that got it, all said a lots of good thing about it.

like sinkingbeach said, you may want to try 48" lights...

sinkingbeach said:
Keep in mind that I was only using a 48in. lighting fixture on it, granted it was 750watt hqi. If you set up your rocks properly you'll have 6in. of space on each end ;) Any thought of skimmer yet?
True I can be creative with the lighting but I hate to limit where i can put things because of the lights. I just started looking into skimmer but I can't tell a good one from a bad one yet any help would be appreciated.(budget but quality)
So far I have only picked up some used pumps a Mag7 and HD30 and a cast acrylic sump none of which I have in hand yet. I bought some pvc pipe and fittings to start working on some water return ideas so I can hide everything under the sand and bring it all in and out of one end of the tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The big problems with that S formation is that it will near the glass in those spots and you won't be able to keep the glass clean. That will become unsightly in enough time.

malulu

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
The big problems with that S formation is that it will near the glass in those spots and you won't be able to keep the glass clean. That will become unsightly in enough time.

those area should have at lease some room for a big Mag-Float to slide through,
and are for very softy corals only - like mushroom, ZOA, GSP, POMPOM, RBTA...etc.

malulu

NJRC Member
Powder said:
True I can be creative with the lighting but I hate to limit where i can put things because of the lights. I just started looking into skimmer but I can't tell a good one from a bad one yet any help would be appreciated.(budget but quality)
So far I have only picked up some used pumps a Mag7 and HD30 and a cast acrylic sump none of which I have in hand yet. I bought some pvc pipe and fittings to start working on some water return ideas so I can hide everything under the sand and bring it all in and out of one end of the tank.

i redo my tank about 1.5 years ago, and try to use as much FLEX-PVC as possible, i like it a lots, and it is easy to work with... but some HATE the look, cause it it not NEAT.

Weekend update:
I didn't have too much time to make a lot of headway on the tank this weekend. I did get a chance to stop in and see Malulu's setup Saturday when I was in the area. He has an impressive system and a lot of cool creatures. He also gave me some good insight into things to avoid and things he learned starting his tank. I only had a few hours to work on my setup today so not a lot got done. I was able to raise the floor 3/4 of an inch to level the tank and I added a support beam, gotta love old houses. I had to make some minor adjustments to the tank stand too so I could get it true to the wall. After that I ran a dedicated 20amp line to the tank so I can put a GFI in the cabinet. I started looking at how to tie my new sump into the overflow and planning the return lines. I am trying to get everything in and out of the one corner and it is going to take some planning.

malulu said:
pics!! ?
;-)
I will see what i can do this week but my crawl space isn't too exciting to look at.

I did find a Protein Skimmer at my Dad's house but i can't use it. I want to run one outside of the sump and this one needs to go inside a sump. I can't find a name on it and have not seen any like it in my searches. It looks like it would move a large volume of scum maybe someone can identify it?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like a top notch Do It Your Selfer.

What type of skimmer were you thinking about.

RichT said:
Looks like a top notch Do It Your Selfer.

What type of skimmer were you thinking about.
I went with an enclosed sump because noise is a very big concern so it has to be one that is external. I really can't tell a good one from a bad one. There is a HUGE price spread from $30-40 dollars to a few thousand so I am kind of at a loss at this point.

Yeah skimmers are tough there are really good ones but there gonna costs you a few dollars I would first figure out how much you can afford on one then go from there

Powder

Sounds like a great project! I'd love to do a room divider, but I am afraid I'd be on one side and my family in the other ... if ya know what I mean ::)

Alright I finally got a huge project done for work and had some time again this week to work on the tank. I tied all the plumbing together and gave it a test fill on Tuesday no leaks but I didn't like the way a few things were so I drained it. Last night I changed a few fittings and refilled for another test and I am happier with it now. Sorry no pictures :'(
I am going to try and get some rock ordered today or tomorrow so I can start the smelly process next week.
Here are my latest question is how close to the top do most people keep a glass rim tank? I was playing with the levels and it looks way cooler all the way to the bottom of the rim but I am afraid of it spilling over.

Hopefully I don't have to run up to CT this weekend and I can get the RODI plumbed. Once that is in I can start making some water and get the ball rolling.

Well that is up to you but remember
1. any level can overflow
2. if its too high when you put your hands in the tank to place or fix something it will overflow

malulu

NJRC Member
water level can rise over time... due to overflow-teeth/pipe algee build up...etc
so you would need a bit head room...

WELL I did it I now have pet rocks of my very own!
I haven't updated this thread in a while so here is what I have done since I updated last.

1. Hooked up the RO/DI not that it was all the hard or time consuming. I still want to get one more section of hose so I can dump the drain water directly into the pool or hottub so I don't feel like I am wasting water.

2. Played with number and size of holes in each leg of the under bed return pipes to get a pretty even flow from all the legs. I left it a little heavier flow on the far end since I figure that water will naturally flow to the other end with the overflow.
DSC00766.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

3. Rounded up rock from a few places, not the ideal rock configuration but once there is some color on it I think it will work. If it doesn't I can alway do it again.

4. Start making water. You see 75 GPD and it doesn't hit you that is only 3-4 gallons an hour WOW did it take a long time to make enough water to fill the tank.

5. Sunday morning 4/27/08 the moment of truth I turned the pump on for the first time!!!!!
0427081656.jpg

I keep leaving my camera at work so most these pictures are from the good old Phone.

Skimmer should have been here Saturday, hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

Next items/Steps:
I need to order a test kit another powerhead and a sump light for starters. Display lighting is still unaccounted for, I think I am going to get the Outer Orbit 60" fixture from the May group buy. Only problem is I don't know if I can wait that long now that I am running I want to get everything growing, my wallet is telling me to wait.

Ihop said:
looks good!
It should you did all the pretty rock work.

When I got home tonight the water was crystal clear I thought for sure it would be cloudy and smelling of death.

The Skimmer was waiting for me when i got home tonight now I just have to figure out what fittings I will need from Lowes to hook it up.

The "under sand" return is an interesting idea. I assume that there are holes only in the very end of the piping above the sand?

Just be sure to drill a 1/8" hole as a siphon break in the return line about 1" below the normal water line in the tank. Other wise it can siphon water and sand back to the sump and cause a real mess ... not that anything like that has ever happened to me ::)