• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BOD Succession

yeah for sure, I am definitely throwing my hat in the ring for leadership. I have a lot of ideas concerning increasing membership and also progressing the idea that NJreefers doesnt stand for just a local reefing club, but rather a major player in eco environmental preservation of the oceans coral reefs. I'm ready to move the club into a position that deals with global environmental impact. Aside from being an attorney myself, I have another attorney who is interested in the environmental impact of corporations selling fish and corals- like filing papers that deal with the hawaii ban. I also have made connections with individuals across the globe who are keen on aquaculture, distributing and creating regional based coral farms where corals are distributed for free with the understanding that they will not be sold.

There is so much going on right now that my mind is sometimes exploding about the opportunities. I will not promise to do it alone, we will need a lot of people to participate but really the most important thing is to realize we are no longer a local reef club.

if you guys are serious about handing over the club, I'd like to see the last financial statement and the by laws as well. would give me an idea of what needs to happen before I get started.
I agree that some changes need to be made, I've experience with running a board and what I've seen over and over is that either there is a lack of help or members were not assigned tasks. each person on the board should have an ongoing assignment, and I like to hire persons to complete tasks as well. there's no point to have a club if others aren't willing to volunteer and promise a certain amount of hours a month. alternatively we can hire people to complete certain tasks as well.

a solution is to add more positions as executives are usually limited in the time they can volunteer, meaning that instead of a single person donating 40 hours of their time a month, we can ask 4 additional people to donate 10 hours of their time.

so it is going to be beneficial as someone mentioned earlier to go ahead and make the changes to the by laws now prior to the next election, this will give the next bod, whether me or someone else, the best chances of success when they hit the ground running.

an honest conversation from those experienced in their positions would create not only a smooth transition but the forward momentum that the club needs.

if there's another solution, say for example the current bod wants to revamp because covid put the quash on their ability to carry out their agenda there's a lot to think about here. I believe covid will end this year and membership is eager to have those swaps meets etc. I just think there's a lot of potential in the upcoming year.

I'd personally like to see at least half of the current bod remain and maybe some old school people get involved in an advisory manner and finally an expansion of positions with new members.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
if you guys are serious about handing over the club, I'd like to see the last financial statement and the by laws as well. would give me an idea of what needs to happen before I get started.
I agree that some changes need to be made, I've experience with running a board and what I've seen over and over is that either there is a lack of help or members were not assigned tasks. each person on the board should have an ongoing assignment, and I like to hire persons to complete tasks as well. there's no point to have a club if others aren't willing to volunteer and promise a certain amount of hours a month. alternatively we can hire people to complete certain tasks as well.

a solution is to add more positions as executives are usually limited in the time they can volunteer, meaning that instead of a single person donating 40 hours of their time a month, we can ask 4 additional people to donate 10 hours of their time.

so it is going to be beneficial as someone mentioned earlier to go ahead and make the changes to the by laws now prior to the next election, this will give the next bod, whether me or someone else, the best chances of success when they hit the ground running.

an honest conversation from those experienced in their positions would create not only a smooth transition but the forward momentum that the club needs.

if there's another solution, say for example the current bod wants to revamp because covid put the quash on their ability to carry out their agenda there's a lot to think about here. I believe covid will end this year and membership is eager to have those swaps meets etc. I just think there's a lot of potential in the upcoming year.

I'd personally like to see at least half of the current bod remain and maybe some old school people get involved in an advisory manner and finally an expansion of positions with new members.
I can send you the By-Laws

I definitely would be there for on boarding as there's a whole technical side to the forum that needs to be taken care of. In particularly by someone who fills the Secretary position. (Which is mainly what I've been doing for some time now)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

We are serious but we're also obligated to do so. So if you're really serious, then we would have no objection to that

hi guys, wanted to touch on this. i have been in communication with a few of you on this matter. i have had a chance to review the bylaws and talk to current board members about the organization and what i have learned is that the club is in a pretty bad place. and what i mean by that is that there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get this club to where it needs to be. why am i saying this and what is this opinion formed on?

ok, for you that havent met me or dont know me, im in my late 40s. I am an attorney in new york - not nj and i have experience with non profits as in not only have i been on the board before but i have also dealt with a lot of non profit legal issues in NY.

i current sit on the board of a nonprofit here in NJ and we have about 1000 members, im dealing with the day to day stuff and the big picture things that need to happen as well - when i started here it was a mess, not as bad as here but still a mess. two years into it and we are getting to where we need to be. with that said, because this club is in such a bad place, I will not be able to join the board this year. i simply do not have the time that it is going to require to get things to where they need to be i dont want to hurt anyones feelings but its a disaster. now look - i just started a new business, i have little kids, i am wiping their butts, i have 4 boats and a house that needs a remodel.

also if you dont know i have been wanting to start a nonprofit for about 12 or 18 months but time has been a factor. with elections coming up, i thought maybe this would be a good vehicle as the nonprofit i originally envisioned is closely related to what this club should really be about.

anyway before i would get involved here i wanted to make some changes to the bylaws because they arent the greatest. and i think some changes still need to be made even if i dont get on the board this year. i think it is very possible i get on the board next year. the changes i am going to suggest are: 1. term limit on officers needs to be extended. 2. club is required to buy officers insurance. 3 members vote needs to be limited to elections.

why are these changes important?
1. well frankly there shouldnt be any limit on an officers term, an officer should be allowed to serve as long as he/she is voted in. Why? because the club will never make a difference if this is the case - its very simple if an officer isnt doing a good job, he/she can simply be removed in the next election. an officer that misses 3 meetings is automatically removed as well.

2. insurance? this is a no brainer. im not even going to get into this. if you want to drive around in your car with no insurance good luck. if you think im going to lead this club with no insurance, i can find a short cliff for you to take a long walk on. only a dumbski would run a nonprofit with no insurance.

3. voting, its pretty easy for a vendor to buy 20 or 50 memberships and control voting on everything.

so look, if there is resistance to what im saying then good luck with your club because its going to be a club of none by the time everything rolls around. im going to forward the changes to the current president and you can make the changes now. hopefully everyone is reasonable and understands what im saying. i hope to have a lot of my things im working on now done over the next year and join the board next election. the things im talking about here are the tip of the ice berg with this club. everyone can agree membership is down and events are nonexistent. changes have to be made if the club ever hopes to get back to the heyday of yesteryear.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
We will be posting election shortly. I will toss my name into the hat for prez again to provide stability to the club.( I can remove myself from consideration if anyone runs, I just want wants best for the club and to complete a smooth transition)

However. I implore members to get involved and step into the BOD

NJRC is not dead. We can transform it we just need a group of people interested and willing to put in work.

Last edited:
No interest in running for anything however I am curious on one thing................What kind of insurance do you need for a club? Is it just a general liability policy if someone gets hurst at a meeting by tripping down the homeowners stairs? Wouldn't something like that be covered by the homeowners policy? Or is it like a renters policy for when a banquet hall is rented for something like a Christmas party?
My daughter is currently enrolled in a flight program to learn how to fly and we had to take out a flight policy for her to cover possible damages to the plane and/or damge inccured to property in the event of a crash. But there are special flight insurance companies for that.
Is there a company that specializes in club insurance? And how much coverage woiuld be enough? Again just curious.

No interest in running for anything however I am curious on one thing................What kind of insurance do you need for a club? Is it just a general liability policy if someone gets hurst at a meeting by tripping down the homeowners stairs? Wouldn't something like that be covered by the homeowners policy? Or is it like a renters policy for when a banquet hall is rented for something like a Christmas party?
My daughter is currently enrolled in a flight program to learn how to fly and we had to take out a flight policy for her to cover possible damages to the plane and/or damge inccured to property in the event of a crash. But there are special flight insurance companies for that.
Is there a company that specializes in club insurance? And how much coverage woiuld be enough? Again just curious.

Good questions. The major insurances the club should have are Directors & Officers Insurance & Crime Insurance. Directors & Officers Insurance would cover all Officers of the club if they are sued as a result of serving as an officer. Without this, each officer, if sued, would be liable for personal losses to them.

Fidelity & Crime Insurance would protect the club in the event of an "employee" of the club, aka officers, dishonesty, forgery, fraud, theft, etc.

The club could also consider General Liability Insurance, especially if it gets back to in person meetings & events. This would cover for someone attending getting hurt or the club causing damage to a location it is using. Would the homeowners policy cover it? Not exactly. If someone is hurt, yes, the homeowner should notify their insurance company, but as soon as it is found that this was an event for the club, the homeowners insurance company would require the claim be placed through the clubs insurance and would most likely deny the claim.