• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bonsai Reef

horseplay

NJRC Member
Against my better judgement I purchase a CBB before my 10-day trip. I asked the store to feed her and she ate mysis, kind of. She no longer eats anything once I brought her home. I asked my sister to come feed it every 2 or 3 days.

On the other hand she seems to be in decent shape. She pick on the rocks all the time. I read some account of CBB eating vermetid snails of which there are many on the rocks. If she does it will be a win/win. One can only hope.

Once I get home in a couple of days I will start feeding her live clams. I hope she makes it.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
From my Expirience you need to feed the copper and every day.
mysys is not good enough for long term success. Frozen clam pieces mussels are their natural diet. If you can get some frozen food with mussels it will be happier.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Yeah Amado I heard the same from a local reefer another day. Back in the day I fed mine a lot of frozen black worms. Maybe I will start a group buy again.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I would keep it simple. Getting black worms and keeping them alive is hard.
it’s also not necessary. You can buy this food.

I had good luck feeding this to copper band and other finicky fish.

LRS also has scallops and oysters and shrimp and you get California black worms.

Attachments

• 9EAF2AAB-F6D6-45E1-B881-A47E3D6DDE81.jpeg
    9EAF2AAB-F6D6-45E1-B881-A47E3D6DDE81.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 1560908F-6E0C-451A-8F62-45BFA4CEB4AE.png
    1560908F-6E0C-451A-8F62-45BFA4CEB4AE.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 6E6DD3BF-F72E-4B99-9A7E-F39744C198D7.png
    6E6DD3BF-F72E-4B99-9A7E-F39744C198D7.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
Thanks Amado. I am thinking about getting a bag of live mussels and freeze them. I do already have some LRS reef frenzy.

The frozen black worms is what I am talking about. I fed mine years ago on a daily basis.

Agree with Amado!! I have done this too with getting to eating good 2 out of 4. Even though this is the food I have noticed they try with more frequent… this specific brand is the I see them go for the most

Attachments

• F4F83B24-8B8D-4064-A636-CF8ECAE6CB6F.jpeg
    F4F83B24-8B8D-4064-A636-CF8ECAE6CB6F.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1

horseplay

NJRC Member
I came back home and started feeding the CBB live/frozen clams. It now eats with gusto as soon as the clam dropped in. However, no luck with any floating food. I drop half a clam in in the morning and the other half in the evening. So the fish will probably live as long as I keep up the feeding. What a beautiful fish to have in the tank.

horseplay

NJRC Member
My fish are savages when it comes to oysters. I got them frozen from Chinese supermarket. Each oyster is cut into about 5 pieces and I feed one each day. When the oyster is broken up it releases particles and juices like a white cloud. Must be super nutritious for the corals as well.

the CBB has fattened up a little bit. It also eats PE mysis now from the water column. I usually feed some mysis and other food as a breakfast then the oysters in the evening.
View attachment trim.C28AFAE5-6BB6-4AB9-9F7F-928DF6D74471.MOV

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is a great idea. I have added a couple of cameras and it make it easy to see what’s going on in my tank.