• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bonsai Reef

horseplay

NJRC Member
Tank is up. Water is made and salt is in. The tank is a Waterbox 100.3. About 75 gallons. Will wait for a couple of days and test corals will go in then the fish then the rest. Hopefully no need to move again then I can watch the tank mature. I travel quite a bit so trying to design the tank as simple as possible with the ability to remote control and monitoring.

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks on the aquascaping. I am pretty happy with the look and the shelves. Not going to keep hard to keep corals a little bit of everything.

Fish wise I already have a trio of Pygme Angels. Going to try to keep pairs and trios. A trio of anthias, a trio of Royal gramma, a pair of gobies etc ... Going for small fish.

I will pose different aspects of the tank over time.

Water is still cloudy and I am short on salt.

Thanks for reading.

99A4D8FB-ABA5-42F2-8FC3-60D44C50A5D0.jpeg

Tank is up. Water is made and salt is in. The tank is a Waterbox 100.3. About 75 gallons. Will wait for a couple of days and test corals will go in then the fish then the rest. Hopefully no need to move again then I can watch the tank mature. I travel quite a bit so trying to design the tank as simple as possible with the ability to remote control and monitoring.

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks on the aquascaping. I am pretty happy with the look and the shelves. Not going to keep hard to keep corals a little bit of everything.

Fish wise I already have a trio of Pygme Angels. Going to try to keep pairs and trios. A trio of anthias, a trio of Royal gramma, a pair of gobies etc ... Going for small fish.

I will pose different aspects of the tank over time.

Water is still cloudy and I am short on salt.

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 37919
Following,
Best of luck buddy, hope you are happy in your new place.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Equipment. Very simple nothing special.

Aquatic life hybrid T5 + Radion XR15's. I forgot how bright these T5's are. And the hybrid fixture is good deal too.
Return pump Ecotech S1. Solid pump but expensive.
MP40 for flow. I don't particular like these in this size tank. Flow is too concentrated. BRS sells a nem guard which suppose to help with broadening the flow anyone tried it?
Reef octopus skimmer
BRS dosers
Apex Jr controller

horseplay

NJRC Member
The tank is consuming 0.1 ALK per day now. Phos has been undetectable despite of the feedings. Dosing macbacter 7 and acropowder. Phos will be dosed on I got them in the mail. I usually don't dose but in the beginning it's help to dose to correct the inbalance.

Here's a video of the tank now. I got these amber glasses from RAP and they're great for taking videos. The pygmies doing their evening mating dances. They pick on the new clam I got from RAP. Moved the clam to a quieter part of the tank it's all good now. We will see.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I like the fish selection. The aquascape looks great.
Are you going to add any tangs ?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am on the fence on these angelfish. I bought some SPS frags forgotten these angelfish might pick on them. So far they have not. But it will always make me nervous. Original plan was minimal SPS but I couldn't resist. Angelfish keep the rocks very clean. Keeping them I don't need a tang otherwise I have to add one. Tank size is marginal for keeping a tang. And they get big fast.

Depends on the animal not every fish is the same I had such a bad experience with a flame angel fish but hopefully this one’s won’t brother as they have not touched them yet...

horseplay

NJRC Member
Dosed NeoPhos to 0.03ppm and nitrate. In 24 hours it's undetectable again. Visibly more diatoms. I have never dosed phosphate before. And it should not be done on a regular basis in such amount. But the corals will die if I don't do it. Let's see how it goes.

Anyone has experience with this?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Rock scape looks awesome! I am having to dose NeoNitro. I was also dosing NeoPhos but I decided to buy Reefroids and those feedings boost my phosphates.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Rock scape looks awesome! I am having to dose NeoNitro. I was also dosing NeoPhos but I decided to buy Reefroids and those feedings boost my phosphates.
Thanks. I also have reef roids and BRS reef chili's. Not doing much to Phos at this stage of the game.

I asked because usually you get hight phosphate in new system but yours it’s the opposite... mine it’s a over a year and still my phosphate goes really bad if not closely been check