• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bonsai Reef

horseplay

NJRC Member
2 weeks away have to monitor the tank remotely. Tank has gone thru some hair algae problem, treated with flux rx. Corals have bounced back. Check out how productive the skimmer is. I probably need to shut it down remotely before it overflows. Very consistent production.

3C43C93B-394D-4018-953F-8907DD869408.jpg

horseplay

NJRC Member
Thanks Juan and Wilson. @ericrodriguez It's an MP40. After experiment for a while I use the short pulse mode mostly @70%. The Mag seems to like the wave motion. SPS are growing faster now especially these in the tank for a while. Plan to take a while every few months to compare the growth.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Tank has been doing good. Slow growth but the colors are pretty spot on.

Been testing ALK every couple of days. Running at 6.6 dKH now and the tank is consuming .4 dkh/day. These Hanna ALK checkers are as painless as it can be.
Tested PO4 today and have not done so for quite a well. Partly because the time it takes to do the test, partly the fact that the color has been great. Not surprised, it is at 0. So dosed some PO4, some nitrate then some NoPox. I no longer dose nopox on a regular basis. I feed a lot to the tank and when I do the corals are happy. I think corals have better PE if feed micro food on a regular basis.
After the last Reef Flux treatment hair algae has not come back, best thing ever.

Will do some 5g water changes hopefully it will speed up the growth some.

radiata

NJRC Member
A clam is attached to an astrea snail. It has been growing bigger the last two months. And I have never been able to keep clams lol.
That's really pretty neat! Tha last time I got a free clam (razor type?) it was embedded in a "strawberry sponge" I bought. I was told the sponge was hardy (it wasn't) but the clam lasted quite a while longer.

If you want to keep it going, you might try dosing some algae like Nannochloropsis. I'm currently trying out some Tahitian Blend Reef Tank Formula (500 ml size). It is a frozen mixed algae gel and must be kept in your freezer. Link:

Unfortunately, the shipping cost exceeds the cost of the 500ml size as it is shipped and kept frozen in transit.

horseplay

NJRC Member
The clam is doing well. It probably reached it's max size, about 3/4". I do not use filter socks so my water has more particles in it than usually. Good idea to get a bottle of phyto for the tank it should be good for the clam and the tank also.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Updates. Corals seem to be doing fine while I was out. Taught my sister how to check ALK she came in once a week do the testing, refill the ATO reservoir and feed the fish some frozen food + a spoon of Reef Roid. The rest of the week the tank got pellets from an automatic feeder.

One thing I noticed the ph is higher when no one is home, which might be the reason the corals are growing better. Bought a co2 scrubber to raise the PH so far it has done a good job. PH is running between 8.1 and 8.3 now as oppose to 7.8 and 8.1.

Here's the update vidoe:

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Wow...your tank is amazing!

Question: Can anyone link me to an article or thread or something on all the testing/dosing you're referring to?

horseplay

NJRC Member
Wow...your tank is amazing!

Question: Can anyone link me to an article or thread or something on all the testing/dosing you're referring to?
Thanks.

You do not need to measure anything at the beginning for a small tank like yours other than alkalinity. Most of the issues can be resolved by regular water changes. Keep it simple.

The next thing to measure after the tank is up for a while is phosphate. I use Hanna phosphate checker. Nutrient control is critical. The tank will for sure go through an ugly phase. Get some matured rocks like you're planning to do is a good start.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Thanks.

You do not need to measure anything at the beginning for a small tank like yours other than alkalinity. Most of the issues can be resolved by regular water changes. Keep it simple.

The next thing to measure after the tank is up for a while is phosphate. I use Hanna phosphate checker. Nutrient control is critical. The tank will for sure go through an ugly phase. Get some matured rocks like you're planning to do is a good start.
Appreciate the reply. Keep it simple is a mantra I must always try to remember. :)

horseplay

NJRC Member
After installing the co2 scrubber there is definitely an increase in alk and calcium uptake. Now 64mm of each has to be dosed daily to keep up with consumption. Take consumes 1.2dkh vs 1.0dkh before. Rough 20% increase in speed of growth. The corals are barely grow in yet. Most of them are frags or very small colonies. I am planning to remove most of the leng sy and red caps to reduce consumption.

Also PO4 is now detectable. I started dosing 0.02ppm of PO4 and 0.5 nitrate daily.