• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae (Valonia) Outbreak - Help!

I know emerald crabs will eat this but I have massive amounts of bubble algae on my rocks now. Tank crashed during Sandy and was started up from scratch a few months ago but I doubt this is part of my tank maturing again. Any ideas on how to get rid of this? Taking the rocks out of the tank isnt an option.

I have 2 emerald crabs in my 55. Got them for the same reason. Given time they do a great job, not 100% but minimal amounts noticed. The next biggest help is consistent ideal water parameters and water changes over time.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've never had a bubble algae outbreak, but I got a few corals that had a couple on there. Manual removal is the best option if at all possible.

I would take out any LR that you can and use a scalpal to cut it off of the rock. Try not to burst the bubbles as that will release spores that will reinfect the rock.

Once you get the majority off, then add a couple emerald crabs to clean up whatever is left.

I have picked them out manually. If they are stuck really good I have heard of people popping them while sucking out what comes out. Lately I just leave the few I have seen and the seem to go away.

If you need emerald crabs reefs to go has them for pretty cheap. I keep meaning to order some from there, but I have yet to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2