• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Buying fish online

DYIguy

NJRC Member
@DYIguy Whats their Qt process? No history on site no information on who they are and how they got to b where they are in the industry. Who’s the owner?
owner is David Hernandez- company is in Ca- like I said before, the business is new online- working on kinks- if you want more info request to join the fb group- I have the email address and owners direct message contact- Qt process is stated on the website- David also explained it to me in messages

Sry. I didn’t see it. Just saw the doa policy and website which listed their live stock. Good luck with their new business and any purchases u may make. For Qt vendors with quality and history especially in Cali I’d chk out Elliot Lim marine collectors or TSM right here in Sewell NJ. Don’t do FB. Stay safe

I saw that too- it's just because they are new with no reviews- I have a website too with no search engine optimizing- I know what it's like when you first start to expand. I'm going to give them a try anyway- anyone else locally want to join in- would have to be a local pickup- chester, morris county
Same here. Its been a year since my website has been live and only for certain products will my website show up.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Saltwaterfish is having a promo that ends today for free shipping with $99. but they get you with $6.99 extra for fish and a $8.99 box fee, but still good prices- promos freeshipping99

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Besides that any decent LFS is over 45 minutes away I like that I'm able to buy mated pairs online and buy fish that the lfs don't carry. I just bought a canary blenny-they don't take to frozen/ flake food but pick at live rock- why stores won't get them- looks much like a midas, but doesn't hide/ hang in the cubby like a lot of blennies, but is out in the open constantly looking/ feeding- my new fave fish- got a flasher wrasse coming tomorrow

eholceker

NJRC Member
Besides that any decent LFS is over 45 minutes away I like that I'm able to buy mated pairs online and buy fish that the lfs don't carry. I just bought a canary blenny-they don't take to frozen/ flake food but pick at live rock- why stores won't get them- looks much like a midas, but doesn't hide/ hang in the cubby like a lot of blennies, but is out in the open constantly looking/ feeding- my new fave fish- got a flasher wrasse coming tomorrow

Canary blennies are a tough fish. Always seem to come in super skinny and tend to wither away. They need to eat a few times a day. Most of the fang tooth blennies are aquacultured so not really common to see them wild caught now.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Canary blennies are a tough fish. Always seem to come in super skinny and tend to wither away. They need to eat a few times a day. Most of the fang tooth blennies are aquacultured so not really common to see them wild caught now.
Mine came skinny, but is eating nicely and has a full belly- hope it keeps up- like much more than the midas. One thing I like about fang blennies, most fish leave them alone

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just bought a canary blenny-they don't take to frozen/ flake food but pick at live rock- why stores won't get them- looks much like a midas, but doesn't hide/ hang in the cubby like a lot of blennies, but is out in the open constantly looking/ feeding
That is interesting. I received a QT midas blenny from Dr Reef Quarantined Fish 3 weeks ago. This blenny is always in the water column and never perches on rocks. He loves to eat! I wonder if it's a Canary from your comment. My last Midas Blenny jumped out of the tank when I went to feed. It hid all the time except when food came out.

Edit: Just looked up Canary and the face is different. I guess mine is a Midas.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Mine came skinny, but is eating nicely and has a full belly- hope it keeps up- like much more than the midas. One thing I like about fang blennies, most fish leave them alone

Skinny is not good with these guys. They should eventually regularly eat everything including flakes. I have never seen one recover from that emaciated stage.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
That is interesting. I received a QT midas blenny from Dr Reef Quarantined Fish 3 weeks ago. This blenny is always in the water column and never perches on rocks. He loves to eat! I wonder if it's a Canary from your comment. My last Midas Blenny jumped out of the tank when I went to feed. It hid all the time except when food came out.

Edit: Just looked up Canary and the face is different. I guess mine is a Midas.
The midas I had was an African- not sure if they differ in habits- but mine turned brownish after a few months- one thing I did notice is the midas shimmies more when swimming

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Skinny is not good with these guys. They should eventually regularly eat everything including flakes. I have never seen one recover from that emaciated stage.
Mine was not emaciated, just an empty stomach- like most fish that have been shipped- mine is looking fine

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Had a very long phone conversation with the owner of reefvirus- he called me to talk about my order which was to be shipped today- he ships UPS and it goes through Kentucky- another bad storm for the south- so my order won't get shipped until Monday- gave me all kinds of credit and is going to give me a bunch of freebies. We talked about the website and I told him about people's concerns and ways to improve it- also talked about quarantining fish/ guarantee-he doesn't let anyone in his warehouse except staff- I told him pics or videos on the website showing it would do wonders for business- anyway I'm looking forward to my order and think I'll be buying again

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So I ordered from ReefVirus in mid-January - waited weeks for my flame angel with little communication from the vendor and only because I reached out to him. Fish did arrive safely and he told me for my troubles he would give me $50 off my next order and free shipping so I ordered again. Couldn't get the coupon code he gave me to work so I paid full price plus shipping and asked him to credit me back the $50 plus shipping, this was on Feb 9th. Tried contacting him multiple times about my partial refund and a shipping date - crickets. Finally, after a month of silence, I contacted AmEx and told them to cancel the charge to ReefVirus. Lesson learned - sometimes a bargain is not always a bargain.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
So I ordered from ReefVirus in mid-January - waited weeks for my flame angel with little communication from the vendor and only because I reached out to him. Fish did arrive safely and he told me for my troubles he would give me $50 off my next order and free shipping so I ordered again. Couldn't get the coupon code he gave me to work so I paid full price plus shipping and asked him to credit me back the $50 plus shipping, this was on Feb 9th. Tried contacting him multiple times about my partial refund and a shipping date - crickets. Finally, after a month of silence, I contacted AmEx and told them to cancel the charge to ReefVirus. Lesson learned - sometimes a bargain is not always a bargain.
I'm so sorry for you, I started all this- prices were too good to be true and they were- he screwed me twice- first order there were missing items and he sent some wrong stuff- promised to make good on the second order- replace the missing items, give me free stuff a $50 credit and 40% off- I stupidly made the second order- we spoke several times on the phone for long periods- he kept making excuses why the order was delayed, in the end he never sent the second order, stopped taking calls and answering texts, so I called my cc company- they urged me to try and work it out with him- his answer was "no credit, no replacements and pay full price ' and he included a spread sheet with availability- price not so good, so I got my cc company to pursue- got credit for missing items and full credit for the order not sent- live and learn

I recently bought from saltybottomreefcompany ( have bought from them in the past ) and was pleased with the price, fish and shipping $28

Last edited: