• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can i use a canister filters for a salt water aquariums

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
yes you can. i used a fluval FX6 canister on a 90g. I currently have the FX6 on 60g. Some use a hang-on filter on 40g and smaller. I advise not using the foam pad inside.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Fx6 will hold 5 1/2 gallons of water plus your media. Currently I have BRS .8 carbon and SeaChem Matrix in the trays. It's a big filter and make sure the width will fit under the cabinet. If you need me to measure mine lmk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would thing so. I don't use the foam inserts

FX4 - holds 3 gallons of water and 700 g/h
FX6 - holds 5.5 gallow of water and 925 g/h

here is a video that you may find interesting

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If it's live sand, you will need to add water to it, to keep it live

You can, if that is you preference. Personally I wouldn't as i've had my fair share of tank pests and wouldn't wish it on anybody. The Dry rock will become Live Rock over time. It's also cheaper, can be sculpted to your liking and above all else.....PEST FREE. You can ask your closest LFS for a piece of rubble rock to use for seeding your tank.

If it's live sand, you will need to add water to it, to keep it live

You can, if that is you preference. Personally I wouldn't as i've had my fair share of tank pests and wouldn't wish it on anybody. The Dry rock will become Live Rock over time. It's also cheaper, can be sculpted to your liking and above all else.....PEST FREE. You can ask your closest LFS for a piece of rubble rock to use for seeding your tank.
its my first salt water I trust you I just want to get it right