• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

CAndy canes drastically changed

The other day I added a new skimmer to my systems after the Easter weekend which I wasn't around to monitor the tank I came home to find my candy cane corals looking well .. skeletal they were striving well and there has been no changes to the tank aside from maitance and the addition of the skimmer all other corals are doing well I feel like they are dieing but I'm not sure why water chemistry checks out and is stable aside from the drop in phosphate and nitrate since the skimmer all is normal20170418_171145.jpg 20170418_171154.jpgthese are the current look of the coral20170313_124306.jpgthis is how they looked be for the change

Thanks for responding my lights are current marine pro led 48 inch bar on a ramp timer the Calcium is about 475 the alk is 10 dkh pH is 8.2 salinity is 1.28 nitrate maybe .5 phosphate .2 mag 1350 iodine .09

I'll bring It down Mike but I'm not sure that's it cause I've kept it at that level or close to it for the life of the tank but that's an easy change so I'll try it

I would run some carbon to rule out a contaminate. As you probably already know they are dying. What are you measuring salinity with?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Only change to the entire system is the addition of a protein skimmer prior to it I did water changes and lots of em not that it will change much but the skimmer was added Friday

i cant see just adding a skimmer doing that. did you calibrate the refractometer with calibration fluid? have you ever checked for stray voltage? anything sprayed around the tank such as febreeze?

Never clean with chemicals in or around the tank I have the tank grounded and checked with a multi meter the refractometer is calibrated with Rodi water. One thing I can say is from the time I got this coral it had a light algae growth around the stalks since the sKimmer and the change in the coral there stalks are all of a sudden clean of all algae growth

Yeah Salinity is too high. Should be about 1.025 or 35ppt which is about natural sea water. Not sure if that's the cause, but a place to start.

What about temp? Is it possible the sudden lack of water changes has caused the temp to either rise or drop?

Sent from my shoe phone using Tapatalk while in The Cone of Silence

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Where did the skimmer come from? Is it possible that it was cleaned with something that might affect the tank? Also, adding a skimmer will affect the water clarity causing your par levels to rise very quickly. Seeing that your other corals are ok I don't think that was the issue but its something to think about. It may just be coincidence and the Candy Canes were already on there way out.