• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cayars New Tank

arvin

NJRC Member
malulu said:
- when people (or you) see tanks with beers, what would you do? report to abuse-hotline? or drink along with Sam???

Once again, it depends on the beer... ;D

"Fish Police"??? Better warn those little criters to be on the lookout or they might get a SWI charge from the man.

"Honest offeesirr, I's overr my freends side of the rreef and star, err, started feallling a litttle lite headed"

"OK buster, I wanna see you swim one foot in a straight line, turn around and swim straight back..."

:)

Time to start uploading some pics. I finally found the cable for my crappy 3mp camera. Figures as I just received my Nikon D200 with 18-200 lens kit today. :)

Still got to pic up a good macro lens but I'll pull off a few of the shots from the old camera that I can't reproduce with the Nikon and upload them.

Here's a pic of my kids in the display tank. This gives you a rough idea of it's size.
582_07_05_07_11_54_38.jpg

He is a couple of shots showing the cutout in the floor and another through the stand into the basement.
582_08_05_07_12_00_23.jpg

582_08_05_07_12_07_18.jpg

Pic taken down through the tank.

More pics to follow shortly,
Carlo

Here's a picture of the Underside of the tank on the right side. The top pipe is the return and the bottom pipe is connected to the dorso drain.
582_08_05_07_12_37_16.JPG

Here's a picture of the underside of the tank on the left side where everything ties together to go into the basement.
582_12_05_07_1_55_06.jpg

Pipes from left to right are:
Dorso Drain Left Side
Return Left Side
Dorso Drain Right Side
Return Right Side

These 2 pics where from the new Nikon D200/18-200Lens. Sure a lot better then the old 3pm crap camera even though I haven't learned how to use it yet.

Carlo

Here's the same set of pipes going through the floor into the basement equipment room. Had a slight leak early on that had to get fixed. I never bothered to clean the salt off the pipe.
582_12_05_07_1_58_21.jpg

This picture is taken about 10 feet down the wall from the above shot. The top pipe is from the left drain on the 265 and continues on to the skimmer. One pipe directly enters the 125g refugium and the other two pipes are the returns.
582_12_05_07_2_00_14.jpg

This is a 6 stage RO/DI unit. The 32 gallon is fresh topoff water and the two 44 gallons are premixed salt water ready to go.
582_12_05_07_2_36_28.JPG

Here is a picture of the manifold.
582_12_05_07_2_38_19.JPG

From right to left
1 & 2 returns to the main 265.
3 connected to 6 phosban reactors running mixed media
4 currently dumps back into sump
5 connected to two TurboTwist 12x 36 watt UVs (72 watt total)
6-8 (8 not in picture) currently free but will be
6 120 gallon agressive tank (fish in QT at present)
7 & 8 returns for 2nd 265 gallon tank by mid summer

Looking good. Some additions since I saw it in person.

This is going to be one sweet setup once its all said and done.

Any new pics with all the rock in there?

Oh yea, lots of corals and fish in the tank. I'm working on more plumbing today to get the 120 aggressive tank hooked up and online later tonight/tomorrow and getting that filled up. I had purchased the fish Billy98 had for sale and they are coming out of QT in 2 days so I need to get everything up and running for them.

Once I get this online I'll update the current pics and start putting some more pics online.

Carlo

Here's a pic of 6 QT tanks in use.
582_13_05_07_3_30_16.JPG

Here's a pic of some new Zoas Frag arrivals. Each bag had 2 frags in it individually bagged. There is a total of about 70 frags in those bags! These frags weren't going into that tank but were just getting temp acclimated.
582_13_05_07_3_44_34.JPG

Just out of curiosity, was there a reason that the legs of the frag shelf are slanted ? If you tried to avoid still water in them, wouldn't b easier just to drill a few holes in them?

The "rack" was only a temp solution so I just "rigged" it up with some material laying around. It was only setup that way for a week or two at most. All those frags in the pictures along with others are sitting in 3 20L tanks at present. The tank those frags were in is now my 125 gallon refugium and it has a nice 5/6" deep sand bed along with a ball of Cheato that is just starting to grow.

I've got another 125 gallon system filled with about 115 gallons but in need of being plumbed into the basement setup (weekend project) that will hold my frags.

Once I get that plumbed into the basement I'll update the basement pics as well as get some pictures of the aggressive tank, new prop tank and of course the reef tank which everyone asks me about. I've been lazy. :)

Here's a list of fish/inverts in the system at the moment:
Three Spot Domino Damsel
Blue "Hippo" Tang
11 Blue/Green Chromis
Chrysurus Angel
2 Clarkii Clownfish
Clown Triggerfish
Convict Tang
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Flame Hawkfish
Hawaiian Black Trigger
Hawaiian Flame Angelfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Naso Tang
Paddlefin Wrasse
2 Percula Clownfish
Powder Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Spotted "PJ" Cardinalfish
Yellow Striped Maroon Clown
8 Yellow Tail Damsels
Yellow Tang

Astraea Conehead Snails
Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
Blood Red Fire Shrimps
Debelius' Reef Lobster
Emerald Mithrax Crabs
Horseshoe Crabs
Margarita Snails
Nassarius Snails
Scarlet Cleaner Shrimps
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
Turbo Snails

I still have a few fish in QT at the moment not mentioned above. I've got a bunch of corals in the reef and 65-70 different zoas that will go into the new prop tank.

I'm still planning on adding a few more tangs, butterflies, triggers and whatever else catches my fancy but I want to go slow and keep an eye on the water parameters (so far so good).

Carlo

I got thinking about my setup and decided to add more water volume and move stuff around again to give me more prop and/or display tank space. Instead of using a 125 tank as a refugium (present setup) I made a trip to Agway and picked up a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank.

I'll use the Rubbermaid stock tank for the refugium and get the 125 back for use as a prop tank. Now my 125 that is upstairs that was going to be a prop tank can be a 2nd prop tank or another display tank.

Now I've got 2 thing to plumb tomorrow and I'm not in the mood. :( Oh well, maybe I'll put it off until Monday and enjoy the kids and the pool this weekend.

I think I'll be right at the 1000 gallon mark when these two "tanks" are plumbed into the system. I'm glad I haven't needed to do a large water changes yet as this would start to get expensive as it would take 2 buckets of salt just to do a 25% water change.

Carlo

Ahh, the joys of QTing fish. I had a few new fish in QT including a Queen Trigger. I had a friend (also a reefer) helping me the other night and he told me the trigger wasn't looking very good (I knew he had ich and had purchased him at a discount that way) and asked me if he should move the fish.

The trigger should have been moved to another QT tank (I use the tank to tank transfer method of QTing fish) as the 2nd of 4 tank moves. My error as I didn't specify where to move him. The next morning when I look at the aggressive tank, low and behold the queen trigger (ich and all) is in the tank. :(

I'm taking a break at the moment as I've been breaking down the 120 for the last couple of hours. All the live rock was removed. The fish in the tank were removed and put back into QT starting the process over again for all of them (taking no chances). About 1/3 of the live rock has been baked in the oven for an hour at 400 degrees (will kill the parasites) with a few more hours of baking time left to finish the rest of the rock bake.

I'm currently pumping the water out of the tank via my spare UV unit at about 1/3 the flow needed to kill parasites. I'm UVing the water from one 44 gallon can to a 2nd and then to a 3rd for lots of UV kill off. I'll do the same when putting the water back into the tank so all the water will run through the UV at least 4 times which is overkill but since I didn't feel like wasting the water...

Once the tank is drained to the sand I'll shop vac the sand and any remaining water from the tank, clean it well and put the rock, new sand bed and water back in the tank. Should be done this later tonight.

Luckily for me because I have UVs setup on each tank's return line at way lower flow rates then needed to kill off the parasites I'm not worried about any of the other tanks having an ich problem. I'm sure glad I setup the UVs this way.

Once I put the now "dead" rock back in the tank after a powerwash I'll keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates but don't really expect any problems since this rock amounts to a little less then 1/4 of my total rock. I'll throw in an additional 50 lbs of good "seed" rock to kickoff the coralline process again.

I guess I won't be getting to the plumbing of my 125 Zoa tank which I planned on starting tonight but at least I'll get the tank setup and ready again for the aggressive fish.

I wasn't really pleased with the rock work in this tank so now I've got an opportunity to do it better. :)

Carlo

Tank was cleaned and a new sand bed put in. All except about 40-50 lbs of the rock has been put back in (still in oven) and she's full of water again.

Pretty much back to normal except it san's fish for 8 days.

Carlo

A pain no doubt but probably not as bad as it would have been for many people. I'm lucky enough to have the extra UV sterilizers to process the water so I didn't need to throw it out. With the other 600lbs of live rock in the central system I also didn't have to worry about the bacteria on this rock either so I was able to "burn" it, clean it and put it right back in. Had this been a "single" system or stand alone system then that probably would not have been an option and I'd need to go with a 6 to 8 week "fallow" period to rid the rock of any parasites.

I did add another 50 lbs of rock to the tank and created more caves and swimming holes so now that the work is done I'd say it was worth the tear down and rebuild. While there are no triggers in the tank for another week I'll take advantage of this and work on the circulation a bit. This turned out to be harder then I thought because big powerheads need to be lower in the water to not cause a vortex but then the power cords are in the tank which is a no-no with triggers since they like to taste/bite things. Smaller pumps can be setup pretty much at the water surface so the triggers can't get to the power cords but then the circulation isn't the same and you need more pumps to keep the rock clean. I'm thinking of building an over the back closed loop so no pumps/powerheads are in the tank at all. I've got a week to do it.

That's the bright side. :)

Carlo