• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cayars New Tank

malulu

NJRC Member
how about turn your swiming pool to a small sea... so you can swim in it too?
(salt water swiming pool is cool!!)
:eek:

ofcourse just kidding... part of the thought process also...
;D

Anyone know where to get a dolphin for my 25,000 gallon outdoor pond? :)

It's actually pretty easy to convert a swimming pool over to saltwater but you need to rely heavily on ozone and UV instead of chemicals if you want to keep living things in there.

I've got a pretty big heat exchanger (heater) on the pool already and would wonder how far into spring/winter it could keep temps up in the mid/high 70s? It's presently on 7 of 10 (dial) and runs 1/2 the time and the water at 2am this morning was 96. I really need to turn it down more as it feels more like a spa then a pool.

So anyone know where to get a dolphin?

Carlo

malulu

NJRC Member
you probably not need ozone nor UV, cause you will have the real Sun shinning in it...

i think dolphin is cold water...??
so, you will need a SUPER-COOLER may be about the size of a truck for the summer time...
;-)

Actually a dolphin is a mammal and not a fish. It's warm blooded like us and can tolerate different temperatures. The common dolphin for example can live in anything from icy waters to temperate waters as long as the change is natural. They develop blubber to aid with cold waters and loose it for warmer waters.

The reason you would want ozone & UV is mainly because of algae. Ozone has a "chlorine" type cleansing effect and most salt pools/spas/ponds run it for that reason. You could of course run UV with slow flows like we do in our aquariums to fight off parasites and unwanted things in the water. Outdoor salt ponds will experience far more problems with algae then we'll ever experience indoors. Rain & air will settle things in the water and with the ever changing lightwaves of the sun and atmosphere the pond will experience different bands/color temps of sun which fuel different algae growths. This is sort of the same things that happens to people when their bulbs get old and shift (algae outbreaks) except for it is constantly happening with the sun.

Maintaining temperature of an outdoor pond is actually one of the easier things to handle (maybe expensive but easy). Light can be difficult, salinity changes from evap and rainwater, pollution from the air and rain, etc... are much harder to combat long term.

I'm looking at the logistics of doing something like this but it really looks like it won't be worth the effort/cost of doing it.

BTW, the dolphin was a joke but I'm sure you guys knew that. :) Sharks, rays and unusual things like flounder would be pretty cool to do however.

Carlo

Haven't posted anything in a while so here's one of the newer cool fish that's been added to my collection.

582_24_08_07_10_51_08.jpg

Carlo said:
Actually a dolphin is a mammal and not a fish. It's warm blooded like us and can tolerate different temperatures. The common dolphin for example can live in anything from icy waters to temperate waters as long as the change is natural. They develop blubber to aid with cold waters and loose it for warmer waters.

Carlo

june16.jpg

MAHI-MAHI
Coryphaena hippurus
The Dolphin Fish ;D

GregW, It's a Frilly Orange Rhinopius Scorpion Fish.
It has poisonous spines in the dorsal fin. Maybe later on I'll see if I can play with him like the dward lion. Of course he's bigger then my hand.

sinkingbeach, you got me, that one's a fish. :)

Carlo