• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chaeto wont grow...?

Chaeto wont grow... actually getting soft and falling apart... has this happened to anyone? Can someone explain why my no3 Is 5 po4 is .07 cal is 450 alk is 8dkh salinity 1.026 temp is 78 so levels a pretty close to perfect. I feed heavy yet chaeto won't grow... also have hair algae in my sump but not a single spot in my display... corals are happy... fish are happy.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 27248

Recently I have seen two different types of chaeto…one that doesn’t grow well , and the other takes off like a rocket.I have s ton of chaeto if you want any….also I recommend using a good light source. I use a kessil h380…insane

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Recently I have seen two different types of chaeto…one that doesn’t grow well , and the other takes off like a rocket.I have s ton of chaeto if you want any….also I recommend using a good light source. I use a kessil h380…insane
question for you is your tank ich proof? if so id buy some chaeto off you trying to get some chaeto thats got pods for my fuge

D

Deleted member 27248

question for you is your tank ich proof? if so id buy some chaeto off you trying to get some chaeto thats got pods for my fuge
Ich proof? I have no clue. I thought all tanks contain ich? My tank will be a year next month.But my fish are fat and happy and never had it. 2 clowns, blue tang, scopas tang, blenny, 2 six line, mandarin,orange fin tomini…. Also I’ve been selling tons of dragons breath from my system and never heard of any problems.

D

Deleted member 27248

Every tank has ich in it unless you constantly medicate the tank after every single time you add anything to the tank. The key to keeping fish from coming down with severe cases is to keep thier immune system healthy and to keep them not stressed.
That’s what I thought. Never had ich, don’t want it haha.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
What type of fish do you have nightmare? Do you have a tank thread with pictures? There are some fish that are just more prone to it especially when adding new fish this causes shifts in hierarchy which will stress them which could increase the chance to ich to appear in what was once a healthy fish when a new thing was added
well currently i have a yellow tang and hippo tang 2 clowns and a watchman goby ive done the whole copper treatment 90 days of fishless tank i currently have no ich in my system i had a pump fail and my tangs got pretty stressed during the time never popped so im pretty sure its gone its a parasite if its gone its gone untill introduced again now if somone doesnt have they dont have eggs hatching they wont transfer it over thats what i think atleast.

Every tank has ich in it unless you constantly medicate the tank after every single time you add anything to the tank. The key to keeping fish from coming down with severe cases is to keep thier immune system healthy and to keep them not stressed.
This is actually a myth that Humble fish and other Disease experts have debunked multiple times. With proper qt and precautions, it is possible to have a completely ich free tank.

Pretty sure even BRS have said the same thing

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
This is actually a myth that Humble fish and other Disease experts have debunked multiple times. With proper qt and precautions, it is possible to have a completely ich free tank.

Pretty sure even BRS have said the same thing
yup i read the same thing just gotta watch every single thing you put in i was thinking of doing a QT tank 5-10 gallons and just keep everything fishless for 30 days to be safe

Brightwell sells Chaeto Gro which actually works. If You really want Chaeto give it a try but if it’s not growing chances are you have low nitrates and or inadequate lighting.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Brightwell sells Chaeto Gro which actually works. If You really want Chaeto give it a try but if it’s not growing chances are you have low nitrates and or inadequate lighting.
you think a plant grow light would work do i need a fancy fuge light

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I grow a ton of cheato I use a $30 light from amazon.
This light is water proof and grows macro algae with no problem. Had a fancy kessil light and I sold it because this is all I need. My fancy kessil fuge light wasn’t water proof.
This one is for $30

Waterproof 100W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology COB LED Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable for Plants All Growing Stage Indoor or Outdoor. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776SXJSS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BQSQR64RQAWBC78XVQR6

Attachments

• DA62CC2D-A1E2-4D40-9EFE-53B02761F3BF.png
    DA62CC2D-A1E2-4D40-9EFE-53B02761F3BF.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • EFE8CC88-A6E7-4CF6-93A1-2F776F412069.jpeg
    EFE8CC88-A6E7-4CF6-93A1-2F776F412069.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
D

Deleted member 27248

I grew macro years ago with a 60w light bulb, then used automotive led lights…then used kessil h80,then h160, now the h380…I have noticed an extreme difference…but then again not everyone wants to suck heir tank down to 0.0 nutrients and HAVE to dose.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
You need nothing more than a cheap white light or grow light for chaeto- all depends on the size of the chamber it's in- I grow mine with lights all under $10-submersible strip lights varied lengths and a clip on grow light all on amazon- my tanks are all under 50 gal and chambers are on the small side- largest is 4"x 4" x 15" deep with a submersible 'aquarium' light ( white/blue- I have it set to white) 9"

I tried the Amazon grow light didn’t do anything for me. Then friend gave me a Chaeto Max grow light 18 watt and it grew my Chaeto like crazy. I am now using the Neptune Gro and growing dragons breath caulerpa amd Chaeto without using Chaeto Gro

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I tried the Amazon grow light didn’t do anything for me. Then friend gave me a Chaeto Max grow light 18 watt and it grew my Chaeto like crazy. I am now using the Neptune Gro and growing dragons breath caulerpa amd Chaeto without using Chaeto Gro
I guess it depends on the size chamber you're growing it in- I have a 7" submersible light on white in a hob on my 13g and it grows chaeto and dragon's breath just fine