• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chalice Problem

Hey guys,
I'm having a very big problem with my watermelon chalice. Actually with both the watermelon, and another random chalice too. So the background is as follows:

I bought this chalice colony at the frag swap, it was a very large beautiful colony. I put it in my tank and it was growing-quite well in fact. In some places it put on nearly a half inch of growth in a month or so.

For about the past 3 weeks, or maybe more, I've noticed tissue reccession, and it seems to be accelerating. I moved it to get it more light, and that didn't seem to help, so now (last week) I moved it to get very little light, and it's getting even worse. It is glued to a rock, and in the bottom 1/6th of my tank (probably 3-4 inches off the sand, and under a ledge getting diffuse or even reflected light at this point. My water parameters are as follows:

Salinity-1.025, (calibrated refractometer) measured with zero detectable variance

Nitrate-0-2pmm, (salifert), for the last month or so with zero detectable variance

PO4-0.00ppm-0.07ppm max (hanna photometer), varies per day, but usually averages 0.02ppm, and hasn't ever exceeded 0.07ppm in months. Very little variance overall from the average of 0.02ppm. I run gfo in a reactor to handle P04.

Ca-this one varies, but not out of accepted parameters. 350-422ppm (hanna photometer). generall averages around 400, with (i'd call it high) variance. To correct I dose brightwell 'calcion'

Mg-this also has a seemingly high variance, and on the high side of acceptable parameters. this averages 1375-1425ppm (salifert). when this is low, I dose Brightwell 'magnesion'. The day to day variance of this can be pretty high, but as I mentioned it's recently stabilized on the high side.

ALK-high variance, ranges from 165-185ppm (9.24-10.36 dKH)(hanna photometer). I generally have to dose alk every other day. I use baking soda mixed in RO.

pH-8.2-(milwaukee meter, permanently placed). outside of the normal daily day/night swing, this is very stable, with no detectable variance.

Temp- 78.5-80.1 degrees F.

Salk mix is ESV, changed from reef crystals about a month and a half ago.

Nothing ever creeps outside of acceptable tolerances, but as posted can have variance within the tolerances.

Lights are 2 ecotech radions, run on "natural mode", from 9:00am to 11:30 pm.
flow is 3 ecotech mp40s. By know you all know I'm a wrasseaholic, so the livestock in mostly wrasses of the genera: Halichoeres, Cirrhilabris, Parachielinus, and Macropharyngodon. Others include: Coral beauty, bluespot jawfish, 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 zoster butterflys, and other assorted, but common reef tank fish (if this matters I can provide a complete list). there are also 3 clams.

The corals are a complete eclectic mix, and my sps does well. Very well in fact-my millies, monties, stylos, etc. Look fantastic, and are growing quite well.

My lps-trumpets, frogs, hammers, look great. Just these chalices, my blastos, and cyphastrea are looking like crap, receeding and generally dying.

My leathers look ok-and that was one of my questions, I've heard of alleopathic concerns for other corals when dealing with leathers before.

The system is a 120g, with a 40g refugium run in reverse light schedule. About 120lbs of live rock, or maybe more. It is also vodka dosed (daily at 5.9mL), I run a skimmer, and recently restarted using zeovit. All dosing is done using Brightwell products except alk.

To this day I've not found one damn good article or advice about this problem with chalice other than "chalices are finicky sometimes." That is bull**** and I'd appreciate something a little more scientific/or even "old wives tale"/explanatory.

A more complete coral and fish list can be provided if you all think it will help. My tank gets the full panel of tests above every other day, and gets tested for alk, salinity pH, and temp every day. I have loads of data if you need that too. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE THIS CHALICE. I love chalices and would hate to lose this one, and I'd like to be successful with them so I can get more. Thank you guys! Sorry about the long post guys, but this is the kind of info I like to see about a system when others are asking questions.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are you feeding the chalice (or any of your other corals). Chalice like to eat.

The other point, more as an ignorant question, is running zeovit along with vodka dosing something you want to do? Again with ignorance, I thought zeovit results in ultrapure systems...and I would think along with the vodka, your tank is too clean. Just an ignorant thought.

But feed if you're not feeding.

Hey Paul
The Zeovit is all the vitamins, amino acids, coral food, etc. not meant to clean the tanks. The vodka is meant to get rid of nirates, and PO4 to some extent. I have heard about the clean tank theory before too. However, I feed pretty heavy once a day, and I have a ton of fish in the tank.

I don't feed any of the corals, as I never see the chalices with their sweepers out. I would imagine I'd have to wait until the lights go out to see if sweepers come out in order to feed these boys. I'll look for them tonight.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It’s best to feed at night (or under moonlights). I see the polyps out on my chalice under moonlights. You could actually target feed with a turkey baster. I’d do this for a week or so and see what happens. It seems like all your other parameters are spot on.

How long have you had the lights....could it be the lights?

malulu

NJRC Member
try put it in your sump to see if it get better?
last time i have a similar problem - it was due to my mini puffer (in tank for 3 months) and suddenly started to pick on it...

Im thinking on the lines of what dave said maybe one of the fish or wrasses are picking at it and or trying to nudge at it to get wat may be under it.I dont feed my chalices either aside from what they get that free floats to them.Cause for my tank,by the time the sweeper tentacles come out the food is pretty much gone.That chalice I got awhile back didnt look good at the time,but what I did find is that I resisted moving it all around,let it sit and hoped for the best,3 wks later it started to recover and grow from there.

TBH I ran the radion over my tank and all my corals except zoas hated it. When I sold the fixture and put the stock RSM130D hood back on my acans began to puff up again and fill out. I then moved them under a less powerful led light and the acans still are happy, but the zoas dont seem to like it.

What settings do you have on your radion now?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Alk is probably your problem and the lighting. Most chalices are low light low flow type of corals. When you moved it up you might have shocked it a bit. Having high alk is also a problem with chalices as that can cause rescission. When my alk got a little out of control, that is when I saw rescission. Radions are powerful lights, I have the AIs and have been having some issues with chalices bleaching as well. I think it is a combo of them both. I also do not feed my chalices, but it helps. Chalices really don't have too many predators or diseases. The big one with chalices is brown jelly disease but you should be able to see that. The other corals you said are doing bad are all lower light corals, where are your radions set as far as percentages and are you slowly ramping them up?

I would keep it in lower light and see how it goes. Get your alk stable and probably a bit lower 8-9dkh and see how it goes. Lots of people have problems with vodka dosing and coral bleaching because it makes your water so much clearer you get a ton more light penetration. Also, chalices and other LPS like a little dirtier water which can be stripped out by the vodka dosing. Also check and see if anything was stinging it.

Do you have your chalice at a slight angle they don't like to sit flat. Our large chalice we won is in the sand leaning up on our rock.

how long ago did you start zeo? using basic 4 or what? are you running the stones?. how often do you does ect? when you first start the zeo system your coral colors will get dull/ faded look. (depends if you run full system)

Sorry I've not posted in this thread until now, it was a bit crazy yesterday. I will update you all and answer your questions when I get home from work tonight. Thanks for your suggestions!

how long ago did you start zeo? using basic 4 or what? are you running the stones?. how often do you does ect? when you first start the zeo system your coral colors will get dull/ faded look. (depends if you run full system)

Thanks for all the replies! I will try to answer all your questions, and address what you all have suggested.

cfm6793-I am using the "zeovit additives kit". Jonathan bought it at the swap, and gave it to me to use. I used it for a bit in november, then gave it a break, and recently started using it again about 2 weeks ago.

Malulu-I can't put it in the sump, because that's where I keep the chocochip stars to feed my & Jon's harlequin shrimp.

Tony-I do think it could be fish like shenanigans as a possibility, I do have a lot of wrasses that like to poke around.

adesimone1-It is glued to a rock, and under a ledge now, and it is at a slight angle.

Brando & mnat- I am running the radions in natural mode, they turn on and start to ramp up at 8:30 am, and turn off completely at 10:30 pm. At their most intense, the are running at 90% maximum, with a 30% chance of storms, and a 40% chance of clouds. Otherwise, no tweaks to the lighting schedule. Also when I first got this chalice, I had it under the lights I bought from feng, so there has been a lighting change, starting at about december 15th or so. since then, I have been running the radions. Most of my coral seems to like the light, I get great color, and some decent growth-but actually very very little polyp extension. Could this also be due to alk being high? I've always run it high, the alk numbers have been about the same since I put it in. The chalice is glued to a rock, and placed under a ledge (as of maybe a week and a half ago). so it is getting low light.

Also what I just started doing as of last night, is dialing back my vodka dosing. I went through the whole process, and got zero nitrates, but I never cut the dose back again-to a maintenance dose, as is recommended. I figured why bother? I wanted to keep the population of nitrate eating microbes high. So as of last night I am cutting that back to a maintenence dose.

Now as far as alkalinity-you guys say I should try to keep it at 8-9? That's about 160ppm for a dKH of 9. I can do this, and the tank seems to like to revert to a alk reading of about that, quite easily. Will this harm my sps at all-having a lower alk? Will my montipora, and other sps grow well at that alk level?

Thank you all so much for your help!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I am not sure with the radions, but I run my AI fixtures at about 45%. Ramping them up to 90% might be a bit much but again I don't know that much about the radions.

Alk at 8-9 is normal and fine and your corals will be fine.

Vodka dosing may have caused it as well but there are really 3 factors here so you will have to rule them out one by one.

I would say its not the zeo. The "starter kit" is what you have. Those will not lower nitrates so it won't compete with the vodka (IMO) but coral snow has a effect of making the water clear. so maybe a mix of the vodka/snow is letting more light in. I
keep kh at 7-8 zero problems with sps. Did you ever look into start, bac, and food over the vodka?

I am not sure with the radions, but I run my AI fixtures at about 45%. Ramping them up to 90% might be a bit much but again I don't know that much about the radions.

Alk at 8-9 is normal and fine and your corals will be fine.

Vodka dosing may have caused it as well but there are really 3 factors here so you will have to rule them out one by one.

I am running them over a 120, and the coral is at the bottom, and was always at the bottom. I don't think its the lights being too intense, but it is possible. To me it makes more sense that it could be the alk or vodka. Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to run the vodka at simple maintenance dose (divide what I was currently dosing by 2. Also, I'm going to maintain the alk at 160ppm (9dKH), as see it that helps.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
CJ, from my experience with chalices its is ALK swings or excessive or inadequate ALK that will cause this. If it was the lights it would bleach the coral not cause it to recede. I keep my DKH between 8 and 9. My friend brought me 3 chalices a few weeks ago that were all receding from the edges due to an ALK drop. The problem is once they start receding they may not stop even if you fix the ALK issue. I had to cut off the affected areas with my band saw and within a couple of days they were fine.

If you want to bring them over I will gladly try and save them for you, but they will most likely have to be cut if they continue to recede on you.

Hey Darren, you are the chalice king and I was hoping you'd chime in!

Thanks for the offer, I think I want to observe the chalice at the new levels now for a little while, to see if it improves. If it does not, I will be taking you up on your offer. Or I might buy a band saw, I'll need one eventually anyway, but to be sure I'll be consulting you before I do any cutting. Thanks man!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hey Darren, you are the chalice king and I was hoping you'd chime in!

Thanks for the offer, I think I want to observe the chalice at the new levels now for a little while, to see if it improves. If it does not, I will be taking you up on your offer. Or I might buy a band saw, I'll need one eventually anyway, but to be sure I'll be consulting you before I do any cutting. Thanks man!

You got it bud. Keep an eye on it and LMK if you need anything...

As a side note, it is suggested not to run elevated levels (higher than normal all, calcium and such) like many do when you dose a carbon source. Many keep their levels elevated to have the nutrients there ready for their coral to use towards growth. But with an ultra clean system using carbon dosing, Stresses the corals where it otherwise be fine or even be beneficial. Most salts are made this way to cater to those who do not dose.
I do agree with the alk swings. Has happened to me in the past. I luckily didn't have to break out the saw. Hopefully you don't either. Good luck.

ldb, that's a pretty interesting piece of info. i run stuff at about the middle of the. Reccomended range. maybe i should run parameters a bit lower, or lose the carbon source? I'd like to read more about this.