• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cheato cage

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did a thing. Wanted to keep cheato in the seahorse tank for pods to live in and breed to some extent. Something for them to hunt/feed on after I'm done with giving them frozen for the day. So found a small piece of egg crate and made a cheato cage, 4 sides and a top with open bottom to put cheato in. I will glue some broken frag plugs to weigh it down. I filed the egg crate edges smooth. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_201639.jpg
    IMG_20200207_201639.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200207_202909.jpg
    IMG_20200207_202909.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200207_202857.jpg
    IMG_20200207_202857.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 7
I did a thing. Wanted to keep cheato in the seahorse tank for pods to live in and breed to some extent. Something for them to hunt/feed on after I'm done with giving them frozen for the day. So found a small piece of egg crate and made a cheato cage, 4 sides and a top with open bottom to put cheato in. I will glue some broken frag plugs to weigh it down. I filed the egg crate edges smooth. What do you think?
Cool wonder how much u can fit in that 20gal tank,, sure u want a female might not be enough room for babies.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Mmmm.. Cheato needs space to tumble a bit and needs a good source of direct light. I'm concerned that putting such a small amount in the cage will cause it to brown and release phosphates, which sorta defeats the purpose of cheato and may harm the horses.
Any artificial alternative?
Maybe a base tank layer of Marinepure and rubble rock with a good dose of pods as a starter (which they seem to thrive in - can give you some)?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mmmm.. Cheato needs space to tumble a bit and needs a good source of direct light. I'm concerned that putting such a small amount in the cage will cause it to brown and release phosphates, which sorta defeats the purpose of cheato and may harm the horses.
Any artificial alternative?
Maybe a base tank layer of Marinepure and rubble rock with a good dose of pods as a starter (which they seem to thrive in - can give you some)?

Thanks for the input. Was bored tonight so figured why not.
Light wouldn't be an issue but tumbling ain't going to happen.

Awesome, I like it. If you thin it out regularly I don’t see how it’s a problem. My chaeto grows great in a 10-gallon hob fuge and it doesn’t tumble. I always get good growth and it stays green other than whatever floats to the surface and gets singed by the light.

I think in a seahorse tank I’d go with dragons breath free-growing in the tank for macro algae, and maybe use pebble poles for a pod refuge (perhaps with the dragons breath anchored down in those piles)

Good luck!

My refugium was running great and the macro was expanding fantastically and than reached a point where it started to degrade more and more so did some research and found as it grew it was shading the lower half and it was dying off so I reconfigured it and adjusted power heads and now it is starting to come back. I agree tumbling is much better as I had early success that turned rapidly. And the only change has been the tumble. lights flow and everything else has been untouched (I am a big believer in change only one thing at a time and observe the change.) I would happily post the video but this forum doesn’t let me post them. Or at least I haven’t figured away to get past all the things that block me. Hey @nano1908 may need your help in that. Pretty sure you may know a work around :wink:

Hey @MadReefer , I've been using a cage like this in my refugium but the only problem I came across was some pieces getting out due to the large holes in the egg crate. I used knitting mesh to keep everything in the egg crate. I just zip tied it to the egg crate. They come in various colors in case it doesn't fit your style.5d11c549-3633-482a-a6a5-6d266acab4a4_1.36a2bc8408bbea316977298958c8882d.jpeg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Freddy, thanks I used that to make an envelope for nori. The fish would rip off big sheets to float or get stuck to PH. Actually lost a dwarf Angel cause it tried to eat the nori on PH and got stuck; I wasn't home. I zipped tied the sides and made a few holes in the mesh so fish could get nori; works well. Problem is I cannot find it now. Misplaced during the switch to 92g last year.

I know the feeling. Lost my tang that way. I was crushed.

Now stop whining & look for it! Lol
Honestly, I have the same problem. I can't find a thing here. Lol.

Attachments

• 20191225_141152.jpg
    20191225_141152.jpg
    943.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hey @Sponge , you have to enter the video as a URL.
Click on media then it will show you approved sites they can upload your URL.

If anyone knows a work around, please chime in..

Attachments

• 20200208_102433.jpg
    20200208_102433.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200208_102503.jpg
    20200208_102503.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200208-101117_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-101117_Chrome.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 2
I have hmmmm let me count them. I think it’s ZERO URLs and no social media at all except this forum. Remember

So to put a video on our own forum I have to post a personal video on the web so I can go and retrieve my own. Video to share with you guys. Hmmm something sounds really backwards Now you know why I have never seen a face twitter or time chat or any of those silly things where tell people were and what your eating.

I just don't think the forum has a video converter. I believe you can do it using Google & your own files but I just posted the easiest way for me.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It is a PITA. Upload some where then copy / paste the link.
Why I don't bother with video here.