• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

chiller question

my tank has been running very warm lately and with the summer weather comming i was thinking of getting a chiller to help regulate the temp.

the tank is a red sea max 65 gal all in one and the temp has been around 84* durring the last week....
anyone have some advise or info on a good chiller for this size tank?

thanks for the help .......al

I might check some other things first, like your heater. What do you have in it that would cause it to get warm? I would check all those things before investing in a chiller and the expense to run it.

I also have a RSM 250 and unless I run the AC ful blast it is up in the 84-85 range and I switched from t-5 to led unfortunately the pumps and skimmer run really hot in these tanks so I am also looking to upgrade with a chiller not sure what size or model yet...
The other problem is you can't run a chiller in the cabinet because chillers need room so it doesn't overheat

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are the fans in the hood working?

For that size tank you will need a 1/10th HP Chiller. If you do go with a chiller, RedSea also sells a cabinet ventilation kit when using a chiller in the stand.

S/N: M-D.com is running a 20% off sale on JBJ chillers till 6/30 with free shipping. 1/10 is out of stock right now. :(

Drfostersmith has an arctica 1/10hp chiller for 440 shipped and it's in stock. I was thinking about picking it up but will probably go pick up a used one tomorrow. I also need it badly for my tank which is reaching a dangerous 89 degrees.....

had 4 corals bleach out due to a heat spike......so angry right now because the tank was looking so good and everything was growing nice since the rebuild following "Ireene"....just figured out my termomiter was off by 4 degrees
tank was at 88 for 2 days while i was away...did a water change and now tank is 83... not great but better....
guess that chiller is now a must have item