• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clownfish Log

Phyl said:
They're on a nemo-pause alright! No more Nemos for them. I think they figured since I wasn't trying to raise them they'd stop making 'em!

maybe you need some barry white music. ;D

mine are due to hatch tonight...after i scoop them out i'm going to do a 25% water change. Long overdue for the tank. :p

So not much news here.

The clowns did indeed hatch on april fools day - but maybe they were messing with me because only 5 came out - the rest stayed on the wall and were gobbled up by mommy the next day. Of those 5 - I only have 2 left that appear to be ready to go thru meta. I honestly don't even think I want to waste my time on them given the effort. but so far they are alive.

Two nights ago I had another batch and again they disappointed me - I was only able to save maybe 20 of them. The others stayed on the wall.

I'm not sure if this is just so blip or maybe the nutrition isn't up to par. I am getting good at scooping fry out of the display though. lol.

Anyways - because I didn't feel like spending the resources on a special tank for 2 clowns that are about to go thru meta - they are sharing the tank with their younger siblings that were born the other day. This is going to present problems since the older ones need better food to grow up.

Probably going to stop this log now since I dont' have a viable batch for the past two tries. I'm planning on going away on vacation in summer and do not plan on having all these tanks around for some poor helper to try and figure out. Which means break time from clownfish egg raising.

If I raise these to sub-adults - I'll be sure to post on my tale of the tank.

How many baby clowns do you have in total now? You donated 2 away how are they doing any word? I will do my best to not let you close this thread down. ;)

in my possession i have about 32 that are give-away-able now.

The others (20) are way too small to go anywhere. I'll be lucky if I'm able to save 50% of them to "market-size".

I'll kick the thread back up or start a new one later in the year...if mommy/daddy clown cooperate.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This thread can not be closed until all inhabitants grow up and move out. Only when you are feeling "empty tank syndrome" LOL

My pair spawned again. I tried to catch it on some video - unfortunately using my p&s camera. I wish I had the funds for a better camera. I'll post it as soon as it has uploaded.

yeah i am pretty sure it was trying to eat any egg that didn't attach or was ripped off by the clowns (infertile). Never saw that before.

Some pics of the older clowns:
IMG_6827.jpg

IMG_6829.jpg

Have you noticed any with unusual patterns, do they all have a common trait that you can see came from a specific parent?

because the male is misbarred - every one in maybe 20 or so there will be a fish that will have a tear drop pattern instead of a middle bar. However given you are looking at a fish that is only at 1/10th of its lifespan = it's hard to say if it will change later on or not.

News update: I finally was successful (it took 3 months) to have a real solid fry catch. Unlike prior times when only a few hatched - this time I could barely keep up with the scooping. The activity caught the attention of one of my cardinalfish and he was undoubtedly eating baby clowns like crazy. Oh well.

Again I hate to count fish until they make it past 30 days so right now let's just say there are several dozen fry. I siphoned out at least 2 dead from over night. The damage could be higher but I am clouding the tank with rotifers/phyto that it is not easy to see the bottom/dead.

Also I finally (after 7 weeks) got to get the splint off my finger. What a relief.

Pic of the nest that just hatched:

At 78 degrees, the nest was laid on Saturday at around 3pm and hatched at about 7pm Tuesday night.
IMG_6819.jpg

One day old clownfish fry, my point & shoot is terrible. Here's a AA battery for context:
IMG_6850.jpg

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's been a while since I've had a chance to read some posts on the forums... getting married in June and been a bit busy.

Anyway, glad to see you are still at it Phil. Looks like you've been able to raise a bunch so far now. Plenty of practice with that clown pair spawning all the time, lol.

That vid of them laying eggs was awesome! Yea, I noticed the damsel too. Did it happen to get any of them or did the clowns chase him off when they were done?

Well, looking forward to some more updates. Keep em coming Phil.

Brando457 said:
Are your clown babies false percs or true percs? The clowns in the video seem more black than a normal ocellaris.

got me! they appear to be true percs based on the black but i am no expert. I saved these clowns from a fellow member who's tank cracked. So unfortuantely i have no lineage. ::)

Hawkeye said:
Brando457 said:
Are your clown babies false percs or true percs? The clowns in the video seem more black than a normal ocellaris.

got me! they appear to be true percs based on the black but i am no expert. I saved these clowns from a fellow member who's tank cracked. So unfortuantely i have no lineage. ::)

If you decide to sell the babies or put them up for adoption let me know.:)

Work's been crazy. That's the only reason why i'm still on this late.

Anyways - i've been lax on the clowns. I let two hatches go bye bye to the display. The female shows no signs of slowing down the egg laying. Meanwhile my display tank looks awful - i actually have some purple cyano creeping around. I badly need to upgrade my clean up crew. It would probably help if I did more frequent water changes. However with summer here i've just been whacked out of my head with outdoors activities (mowing/pruning/kids going out/bla bla bl blah).

Right now I've got:
29 gallon with 10 market-ready clownfish. I'd love to find a home for all of them together but it's likely i'll have to move them to a LFS.

5 gallon hex with 4 juvies. This was from two separate hatches - i wasn't ready for them and had no intention of keeping them but couldn't bear to just chuck them. 4 of them survived despite my efforts. two barred clownfish so far.

10 gallon with probably 30 or 40 babies - some have one bar already - and some even a second small bar growing in. I wish I could take pics but just haven't had a chance.

big change - I am not feeding live baby brine as much. I am using reedmarculture otohime. It's a special larval food I got special ordered thru OGII (thanks!).
IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

The stuff is great and easy to feed. The fish took to it relatively quickly. I lost some fry but that was mainly due to size differential and my inability to segregate the large numbers. I hope to get a new DSLR and take some better pics and then star ta new sticky with what I think a first time breeder is going to need to get/buy/ to get going.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Hawk!

Can you please talk a little bit more about the foods? I see different kinds in there and the weels here are turning on how to apply that to my discus fry as well...

rod