• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coloring up SPS (was: Too Much Light??)

I understand the nutrients but where does coral light absorbtion and flourescence fit in to the equation. I have seen corals look realy dull under metal halides then moved to a t5 setup and look instantly stunning. kelvin combos I like to call them...I dont know if its the many bulb combos or what. some bring out the greens, some the blues then combine them and the purples look great.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I see lighting as a factor in coral color but not the whole reason, the most important is water quality and balance. I have seen corals color up under most any lighting with good water and water changes of 10% per week. Less is more, to much of anything will darken tissue. HTH.

stan

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
tangdude said:
I understand the nutrients but where does coral light absorbtion and flourescence fit in to the equation.

Dana Riddle had a presentation on this very topic at MACNA 07. I would need to sit through it a couple more times before I'd be comfortable quoting the information. Oh wait! He's already committed to speak at our 08 Fall Frag Swap. That alone would be reason to attend!

RichT said:
tangdude said:
I understand the nutrients but where does coral light absorbtion and flourescence fit in to the equation.

Dana Riddle had a presentation on this very topic at MACNA 07. I would need to sit through it a couple more times before I'd be comfortable quoting the information. Oh wait! He's already committed to speak at our 08 Fall Frag Swap. That alone would be reason to attend!
yeah I saw that presentation. pretty cool. it just seems there is more than balance of elements to the whole equation. if we could put them all together to create healthy and colorful corals that would be cool. just wondering boomers take.