• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Computer experts?

I'm working on the flyer for the fall frag swap and the program i bought to make it is running slower than I can deal with, I'm hoping it is not enough memory. regardless of this I want to add at least 1G, I currently only have 512.

I know it's 3200DDR, but I don't know if it's high density or not. How can I find out if it is or not, would it be marked on the stick?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Go here:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Click on the download link on the top left.

Open the program.

Go to the 'SPD' tab

Should give you everything you need to know.

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

another 512 megs shouldn't be too expensive. $50 at most, I would think. Shipped.

Also, do you defrag? Do any computer maint, such as running adaware or spybot?

That type of stuff helps, too.

Thanks for the link. I do have a program called Belark Advisor which gives me all the info in my PC, but it only gave me this info on the memory sticks,

"502 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6H1' has 256 MB (serial number 0xFFFF7055)
Slot 'J6H2' is Empty
Slot 'J6J1' has 256 MB (serial number 0xFFFF1058)
Slot 'J6J2' is Empty"

It's a desktop, I defrag and do an error check biweekly, I also run weekly scans of Spybot and Norton Anti-Virus.

Unless it is a financial constraint, why don't you try to replace all of them? Of course your motherboard might not be able to utilize the newer chips to their full potential. Hopefully your hard drive is 7200 rpm and not 5400 (which is in fact probably more important for overall fast performance of your computer) and you have plenty of "virtual memory" space on it.

Actually the ones I'm looking at are cheap enough that I would consider swapping them both out with 1G sticks. It is a 7200RPM HD.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Yeah, just get a stick of pc3200. A gig would be plenty. High density doesn't really mean anything in the standard desktop market as far as memory goes. A gig is a gig...only the speed is sometimes different, and if you get PC3200 it's fully backwards compatible with the other 3 or 4 types of DDR (not DDR2, though).

Shouldn't be more than $80 for the whole affair.

Lemme know if you need a link. ;)

Hitman said:
I'm working on the flyer for the fall frag swap and the program i bought to make it is running slower than I can deal with, I'm hoping it is not enough memory. regardless of this I want to add at least 1G, I currently only have 512.

I know it's 3200DDR, but I don't know if it's high density or not. How can I find out if it is or not, would it be marked on the stick?

I think the others are missing the point. Yes, more memory will help, if the constraining factor is memory. While more memory is a good thing, if it's not the limiting factor, you are not going to see too much improvement.

To give a good answer please tell us the following -
What is the program you are trying to get to run faster?
In the above program, what specific operations run slow?
What operating system are you running?
What are the specs of the cpu chip being used?

malulu

NJRC Member
- most graphic/picture editing related program could be slow.

- if other graphic/picture editing programs are fast! then most likely your flyer program is crap! you may want to get a better one.

- if other graphic/picture editing program all slow, then adding memory would help.

- just make sure you check your computer's manual, some time you can NOT just add ONE memory stick, you may need to add a PAIR of memory sticks.

DaveK said:
Hitman said:

I think the others are missing the point. Yes, more memory will help, if the constraining factor is memory. While more memory is a good thing, if it's not the limiting factor, you are not going to see too much improvement.

Paint Shop Pro 11

When I go to save the file I'm working on, it takes forever.

3 Gig Pentium 4

XP2 upgraded whenever a new upgrade comes out

malulu

NJRC Member
most likely add more memory would help.
also, pls try to defrag more often - (Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter)
good luck!

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Dave did you get the cd I sent you. Have you tried to see if there are any updates or patches for the Paint Shop program. Sometime these software companies fix issues like this with pataches. kind of like windows updates.

Whenever I diagnose before defragging it tells me it's not necessary, but i do it anyway, so i don't think I need to do it more often. I thought I said this before, but I don't see it, I defrag and run a full error check biweekly.

I also have the latest patches for PSP11.

Ed,

No CD yet, How did things go for you today?

What I've got so far, it needs some refining, but getting there.
FragSwapFlye2rSmall.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
everything went great today. I'm going to post pics soon. I mailed the disk on Saturday it should be there soon. If you want PM me what you have so far. I'd love you see your ideas.

Edward771 said:
everything went great today. I'm going to post pics soon. I mailed the disk on Saturday it should be there soon. If you want PM me what you have so far. I'd love you see your ideas.
UMMMMMMMMMMMMM, look above your last post! ;)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think he's on a PDA and only gets the text. Thats why he doesn't see the picture.

Newegg.com has this:

A-DATA 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Retail

for $51.99.

Unless you're doing heavy number crunching or major graphic work 1380 (1024+256) should be fine.

Eric

Will that be projected on a screen or printed? Just wondering because I've seen really great drawings on a pc (obviously with a backlit monitor) but when projected with any number of lumens, the colors fade a bit...then again I am not a graphic artist.

also one last digression - I really dislike newegg. I had someone steal my CC# and newegg apparently has no issues mailing out a $3000 computer to someone else with a different address. Ridiculous. I told american express to get their money back from newegg.

Hitman said:
DaveK said:
Hitman said:

Paint Shop Pro 11

When I go to save the file I'm working on, it takes forever.

3 Gig Pentium 4

XP2 upgraded whenever a new upgrade comes out

Since you are using Paint Shop Pro and XP, addition memory would be a good investment.

However, it may only help to some extent. This is because Paint Shop Pro, while an ok program, and a bargain compared to the Adobe product, it's just not going to be a robust at doing things. It's the old saying, you get what you pay for.