• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Copper treated fish tanks

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Right now im looking at a tank for a sump but it had been treated with copper a long time ago.. would this be a problem for me if so how and what could i do about it?.. It's a good deal!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Copper does not "stick" to glass or silicone. A good cleaning with a mild acid (vinegar), and rinsed well, should do the trick.

Now when it comes to wheeling and dealing for the tank, mention that the copper "ruined" the tank, and see if you can cut the price even more. ;D

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
Copper does not "stick" to glass or silicone. A good cleaning with a mild acid (vinegar), and rinsed well, should do the trick.

Now when it comes to wheeling and dealing for the tank, mention that the copper "ruined" the tank, and see if you can cut the price even more. ;D
I was kinda thinking the same thing.. But i hear a lot in this hobby.."The tank was never treated with copper" I understand maybe Live rock but not a tank.. BTW I always wash a used tank out with vinegar & baking soda.. makes a nice soft scrub for dried algae on the glass.. I don't think i can talk this guy down much more on the price... 50 cent on the gl ;D

Should be fine.i know people who set up reef tank from a tank that was treated with copper all was fine.also read a few post about the same thing all seem fine.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Copper ruining the tank is right up with the urban legend that if you clean the outside of your tank with Windex, it will eventually seap in to the tank.

Just do a good vinegar cleaning like any other tank, new or used.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pgordemer said:
Copper ruining the tank is right up with the urban legend that if you clean the outside of your tank with Windex, it will eventually seap in to the tank.

Just do a good vinegar cleaning like any other tank, new or used.
"if you clean the outside of your tank with Windex, it will eventually seap in to the tank."? That's a first for me and something I would never believe

I'm afraid of tiny windex molecules entering the tank via the air to surface water. Scares me, so I use diluted vinegar in a spray bottle.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just use a damp Paper Towel with tap water and dry with a dry one and would never use a spray bottle with anything in it unless it was just water also I do the same thing for salt creep on lights, rim.. ect

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They make windex wipes now so you don't have to worry about it spraying into your tank. We use them and they make the glass look nice.

just a lil IMO and experience,Ive had "copper tanks" with rock and sand,added copper remover and to this day that same tank is a reef tank,no issues,but thats just me,Im also that guy that "added fish that arent supposed to be in the same tank kinda guy :p