• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crayfish breeding feedback

Has anyone bred these before? Been looking into raising these, either marbled or some kimd of dwarf crayfish. They look fairly easy, and even read some people will grow them in barrels for fishing bait, so they must be pretty explosive and easy to do.

I'll do a thread once everything is put together. Might be useful for people who have fish that eat em or want some fishing bait.

I bred blue crayfish a long while back. Best if you can keep the male and female separate until the female is gravid with eggs. The biggest challenge is keeping the pair from killing one another and when the young hatch, preventing them from eating each other. Multiple grow out space is best or creating a lot of hiding spots.

I thought about having a light diffuser in the gravel that i can lift out of the gravel an inch or so to have the babies seperated from the parents. It would let food pass through and have the parents seperated. But with marbled crayfish, they apparently only need females to self reproduce which is pretty interesting. From readings, they seem to be less cannibalistic compared to other crayfish which might not even need the diffuser, just a bunch of pvc "caves" for them to hide when they molt or pregnant. It looks promising, though they grow bigger than I would like and hoping they can keep the cycle going at a smaller size as i thin out the batch from picking out the medium sized crayfish.
This one breeder kept regular guppies with them too, and he still had them months ahead of introducing them. There is a sufficient amount of info, and there was a paper testing different settings/feeding to promote breeding which was very useful.

Ugh - please don't get these. They (marbled crayfish) were genetically engineered in Germany as pets but like all pets that are no longer wanted, get released into the wild and are an invasive species in most of europe. Think about it -they are clones of each other with the exact same dna. No male crayfish needed. It's basically a freak of nature.

Wasn't for me.....

Ugh - please don't get these. They (marbled crayfish) are genetic freaks and are an invasive species in most of europe. Every single one is a female and can reproduce without a male (which I believe do not exist).
That's pretty much the point of using them as feeders!