• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

crystal reef sand

fisheye

NJRC Member
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with crystal reef sand that sell on eBay? They are super white and very fine. They are claim that it is aragonite sand. Did anyone do the vinegar test?

Thanks
Peter

For that price I'd say its worth at least a look. I would contact the seller and see if they would be willing to sell a pound of it as a trial to see if you like it. I see that they only sell sugar grain size so that could be a problem if your shooting for high flow. Also if it were me, I would like to know what they use to make it "live". Im not a big believer in live sand myself, I prefer the dry sand. I did run across this though:
http://www.livingreefs.com/crystal-reef-sand-not-aragonite-see-video-t37273p2.html
But it seems the OP was a competitor and basically proved nothing.

If you decide to buy it I would love to hear a review though.

Edit: I read "snow" as sugar and and figured that might be the grain size. Guess not.

I contacted the seller to see if I could purchase a lb of sand so that I could see the color, texture, and grain size. Also to get an idea if it is really aragonite. They won't sell it. He just keeps quoting his guarantee that he claims to have, and says that if I would like to see it first I can buy the 10lb he has listed. It would be nice if this is the real deal but I like to see stuff first especially when it's from eBay.

The vinegar test is not definitive for aragonite. High-calcium carbonate calcite will also react with vinegar. There are two tests that can be used: Feigl's solution and x-ray diffraction. The first easy to perform, while the second requires hundreds of dollars paid to a lab. I would post the link to the test, but as a new user I'm unable to post links. Google the following and it should be the first link: mindat Calcite-aragonite test

In Feigl's solution, aragonite will turn black within several minutes, while calcite will have no color change. If left in solution for a long period (hours), calcite may start to change color. I would be happy to send a sample of my sand for anyone to test. If any member, or several, would agree to perform the test, document it, and post results on the forum, I would be happy to provide several sand samples, including crystal reef, high-calcium carbonate, and our aragonite, as well as some Feigl's solution. I will provide detailed instructions and the results will be easy, and beneficial, for everyone to see.

The common misconception that vinegar is the litmus test for aragonite needs to be put to bed. While aragonite will react with vinegar, this reaction alone is not definitive.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After reading the reviews on Amazon and then reading the thread that jgraz linked, the post by "West Mariculture" seemed suspiscious. The "West" part stuck out since the person named by Dave Marra in that thread was "Paul West". So, looking up the info on our new registered user who posted below, I see that his name is indeed Paul West. The reason I feel this post is suspiscious is because Reefmaniac99, as per advise of his attorney, had retracted all statements made about the Crystal Reef sand product in that other linked thread.

Now, I don't necessarily have any issue with the content in his first post made here on our forums because the post does seem to be informative about the test method being described. However, it does seem strange that he joined here and posted only in this thread about Crystal Reef sand ... and if this starts turning into product wars between competing vendors (neither of whom are even sponsors here) then we will moderate and/or delete the posts if necessary.

I welcome any discussions about the validity of test methods and such, and if any members are interested in taking you up on the sample offer, that's fine with me too (might be something Paul would be interested in) but please be warned that if anything starts to feel like you are trying to push your product, it will not be allowed. I hope you can understand our position on this and that we're only trying to keep our forums free from that sort of thing.

LOL. No worries. I keep track of threads online regarding both my sand and my competition.

There's a reason I offered for someone else to do the test rather than myself. I would love to have an impartial third party involved. It's a chance for someone, or several people, to make a nice pictorial or video about how to really test for aragonite. If you would rather have me to do it, that's fine, but since it could be considered bias, I haven't gone down that road.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.............might be something Paul would be interested in..............

George, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I’m staying away from this one….unless they wish to pay for my services.

I will state that the linked Aragonite – Calcite test is valid to distinguish aragonite from calcite.

Note that both these minerals are forms of calcium carbonate, the latter being an amorphous calcium carbonate. Both can be and are produced by living things…corals and shell fish and the like…….and here’s the important part…..I don’t think it matters which one you use in your tank. In fact, the aragonite sand you have in your tank actually contains calcite as well (if not other minerals.)

HERE’s a link that basically says what I just said….really no difference in using either one in our tanks.